What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

aqua_duck

Coach
The guy dogged it hard 5 years ago and he might be a questionable character but I don't think anyone can deny his ability. The guy was tearing up against the best of the best as an 18 year old, and by the time he was 22 was already winning games on his own (the dogs were mid table level team before he dogged it, then we're copping 50 every 2nd week after he left).
People can bag him out as a greedy money hungry mercenary but I'd prefer to focus on his ability (same way I like to focus on someone like Inglis).
Anyone who thinks he'll struggle next year is kidding themselves, he's 3 times the player he is now compared to when he left, he's bigger, stronger, more mature, and has developed some silky skills. Before he left he only knew how to offload in the tackle, now his offloading is even better and he's also developed a nice short passing game before the line.

Danish

Referee
around 180 memberships were bought in a few hours, when the Roosters struggled to get a few thousand previously per year?

I call shenanigans.

TD.

From what I'm told it was closer to 500 memberships (although some were renewals). We'll see how much higher the membership tally ends up compared to last year's total to see just how big an effect he has on it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Bwhahaahahhahaha when did your treacherous scum Canberra last win a premiership?

The next will be 21st of NEVER

The butthurt is delicious in this thread

At least I can defiantly say that the Raiders will be around in 50 years, the Eagles not so much, even with the tv deal money there on thin ice.

Also its been eighteen years since we have won a premiership, and in that time we didn't need to screw another club out of existence and one of your "loyal" clubs at that, can't say the same for your beloved Eagles.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Pretty much sums it up for me.

SBW is a slimy piece of shit. The fact he's being more open with his self-serving mercenary attitude doesn't make it any better.

He is openly using rugby league as a means to continue his boxing while raping the Roosters for a huge salary and highlighting the fact he would rather be playing the Homo Code.

Even better, the dopey-faced f**k refuses to commit to the New Zealand representative team (who he also abandoned when he quit rugby league) and is undecided about whether he will play the Bulldogs away match... since when do NRL players choose whether they play or not???

I love the way the NZ media trumpet him as some kind of national sporting superhero. He isn't. He abandoned the national rugby league team to play for the Enemy code, money and supposed glory... how does that make him a f**kin hero?

Now he's turning his back on yawnion because they wouldn't let him continue his farcical boxing career... but oh no, the NRL is happy to bend over and let $BW buttf**k them by whatever terms he wants, so he can then turn around and piss all over us in the media and waltz back to his softcock buddies in the Bore Blacks in 2014.
Cool story.

I hope he gets niggled and chicken-winged and abused by the crowd and generally treated like the filthy whore he is.

This. This. This.

Clarke

Juniors
Only plus for the game I can see is that IF he plays in the RLWC it gives NZ more chance of retaining the world cup.

Other Advantages:

With the NRL still negotiating a New Zealand broadcast deal, Fairfax has been told that representatives of Sky TV have been asking for confirmation of Williams signing with the Roosters as his return increases the value of the rights by $1m.

His profile in Britain, Ireland, France, South Africa and Japan, as well as Australia and New Zealand, would be a massive boost for the tournament (RLWC) but Williams's first priority is performing for the Roosters.

It's from the Brad Walter Article titled Williams gives NRL a $1m boost without raising a sweat *I can't post link yet, sorry.*

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I concur.
Sonny Bill, combined with a brand new coach, the mastery of Maloney, the dynamism of Mitchell Pearce, and the well known 'relaxed' atmosphere of the Bondi based behemoths will prevail, no doubt about it.

And shame on all of you for doubting the young man.

Sonny Bill is a fine fellow of high ethical standing.
He stands by his word, and his hand shake. He would never ever EVER do anything to harm the fine game of Rugerby League, or to detract from the efforts of his team mates. He has a deep respect, almost love, for Uncle Nick, who he sees as the doyen of the used car fraternity. He associates with only the best of society, and is above reproach in all aspects of his life.

He will bring millions, nay, zillions of extra dollars into the coffers of Rugerby League. Tens of thousands of extra spectators will watch the game as a result. Not only here, but worldwide, perhaps even into the furthest reaches of the galaxy. I have liitle doubt the long awaited conquest of the Chinese market is only a short step away. I can see the hordes flooding Tiananmen now chanting 'Lugby Reague, Lugby Reague' accompanied by Mao like banners of Sonny Bill. It will be awesome fellow fans.

I feel so overwhelmed by the whole event that I think on his first reentry into a Rugerby League playing field the ground should be strewn with the fronds of assorted palm trees, and mere mortals like us should be forced to lay prostrate and not raise our faces to gaze upon the great man until such time as he deigns it reasonable for us to do so.

All hail the new 'Prince of the Greatest Game of All'.
Well, for a year at least, or until a better offer comes along.

Ditto.

The Eagle

Juniors
At least I can defiantly say that the Raiders will be around in 50 years, the Eagles not so much, even with the tv deal money there on thin ice.

Also its been eighteen years since we have won a premiership, and in that time we didn't need to screw another club out of existence and one of your "loyal" clubs at that, can't say the same for your beloved Eagles.

Everyone knows that when the NRL formed there was a criterion all clubs had to meet

Manly met this, norths and souffs did not, we gave the bears a lifeline and as thanks they tried to kill us in the form of a cancer that we removed

The criterion was set by the ARL and news, this criterion would never have happened if not for the super league traitors,I blame the sly faction of the bears and I blame every super league club for the demise of the bears, Manly was simply the executioner of that brand and if any faction tries to destroy us from within the club as a whole has my blessing to execute those factions too, figuratively or actually

Manly had the license, the bears had basically nothing, the bears tried to eat us from within and are now in reserve grade as reward for trying to take advantage of our kindness

As for long term viability, our GM had already got us in front of the eight ball financially before the TV deal was finalized,as a result of which you have us to hate (see be jealous of) for years to come

Nice game but you lost

Pretty much sums it up for me.

SBW is a slimy piece of shit. The fact he's being more open with his self-serving mercenary attitude doesn't make it any better.

He is openly using rugby league as a means to continue his boxing while raping the Roosters for a huge salary and highlighting the fact he would rather be playing the Homo Code.

Even better, the dopey-faced f**k refuses to commit to the New Zealand representative team (who he also abandoned when he quit rugby league) and is undecided about whether he will play the Bulldogs away match... since when do NRL players choose whether they play or not???

I love the way the NZ media trumpet him as some kind of national sporting superhero. He isn't. He abandoned the national rugby league team to play for the Enemy code, money and supposed glory... how does that make him a f**kin hero?

Now he's turning his back on yawnion because they wouldn't let him continue his farcical boxing career... but oh no, the NRL is happy to bend over and let $BW buttf**k them by whatever terms he wants, so he can then turn around and piss all over us in the media and waltz back to his softcock buddies in the Bore Blacks in 2014.
Cool story.

I hope he gets niggled and chicken-winged and abused by the crowd and generally treated like the filthy whore he is.

:clap:

Perth Red

Post Whore
The guy dogged it hard 5 years ago and he might be a questionable character but I don't think anyone can deny his ability. The guy was tearing up against the best of the best as an 18 year old, and by the time he was 22 was already winning games on his own (the dogs were mid table level team before he dogged it, then we're copping 50 every 2nd week after he left).
People can bag him out as a greedy money hungry mercenary but I'd prefer to focus on his ability (same way I like to focus on someone like Inglis).
Anyone who thinks he'll struggle next year is kidding themselves, he's 3 times the player he is now compared to when he left, he's bigger, stronger, more mature, and has developed some silky skills. Before he left he only knew how to offload in the tackle, now his offloading is even better and he's also developed a nice short passing game before the line.

He was a great talent at such a young age but also injury prone, 2005 (2nd year) only played 5 games, 2006 missed 6 games and had end of season surgery, 2007 missed 6 games and broke his arm. In 4 years in the NRL his injury record isn't great! Be interesting to see if his more mature body can cope with the more arduous demands of NRL.

RWB

Bench
Out of interest is there any Rooster fans on here that decided not to get a membership this year but have now decided they will due to $BW signing?

I will watch Roosters memberships and attendances with interest, I have my doubts $BW is that big a draw card that it will do much for either.

As for a good investment, what about next eyar when he is gone and the money is gone with him? Signing a slightly lesser known but equally good player for 3-4 years would have been a wiser investment imo. Only plus for the game I can see is that IF he plays in the RLWC it gives NZ more chance of retaining the world cup.

I haven't heard anyone say they wont be renewing & there was definitely a big blow up when we signed Mason in regards to renewing memberships.

I think SBW's one year deal is the best thing for the club even if Nick doesn't realise it yet. With Pearce, Tasi, RTS, Cordner & Aubusson all coming off contracts and all likely due for upgrades (especially RTS & Cordner who I think are supreme talents) it gives us plenty of room to move in the cap. If there's an increase in the cap and we can afford to keep SBW on for another season then great but I hope his stint at the club is short.

I acknowledge the marketing aspect of it all and hopefully the on field performances to go with it so I'm not at all disappointed with the signing in fact I think it's great for Rugby League & will be a massive boost for the World Cup.

Reports that the NZ TV deal has increased by 1 million dollars already just shows that he will be worth the investment and the Roosters wont be the only one reaping the rewards. The Warriors have already moved their Round 2 game against us to a 50k seater stadium, would be awesome if it got near capacity. I guess time will tell just how big an impact he will have on the game.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Everyone knows that when the NRL formed there was a criterion all clubs had to meet

Manly met this, norths and souffs did not, we gave the bears a lifeline and as thanks they tried to kill us in the form of a cancer that we removed

The criterion was set by the ARL and news, this criterion would never have happened if not for the super league traitors,I blame the sly faction of the bears and I blame every super league club for the demise of the bears, Manly was simply the executioner of that brand and if any faction tries to destroy us from within the club as a whole has my blessing to execute those factions too, figuratively or actually

Manly had the license, the bears had basically nothing, the bears tried to eat us from within and are now in reserve grade as reward for trying to take advantage of our kindness

As for long term viability, our GM had already got us in front of the eight ball financially before the TV deal was finalized,as a result of which you have us to hate (see be jealous of) for years to come

Nice game but you lost

Yes I know that and I also know that Manly did not meet the criteria by themselves, neither did the Bears because all there money was tied up in relocating to the CC. So the NRL saw that Manly and the bears were sinking and they did not want to lose one Sydney team so they coerced them to merge. The funny thing is if the whether had been better on the CC the Bears might still be around today.

Saying that the Bears were the only ones in the merger trying to screw the other is just bullsh#t, the Bears were definitely trying to screw the Eagles but they weren't successful, the Eagles were successful in screwing the bears there's no two ways about it.

None of that changes the fact that to survive the Eagles had to royally fu#k the Bears to survive.

The Raiders are where they are because of no one but themselves, but the Eagles got saved by the NRL when they would have died, and it wasn't the first time that a governing body had saved them either.

Didn't know it was a contest, I'm not very good at contests :crazy:.

Valheru

Coach
I concur.
Sonny Bill, combined with a brand new coach, the mastery of Maloney, the dynamism of Mitchell Pearce, and the well known 'relaxed' atmosphere of the Bondi based behemoths will prevail, no doubt about it.
And shame on all of you for doubting the young man.
Sonny Bill is a fine fellow of high ethical standing.
He stands by his word, and his hand shake. He would never ever EVER do anything to harm the fine game of Rugerby League, or to detract from the efforts of his team mates. He has a deep respect, almost love, for Uncle Nick, who he sees as the doyen of the used car fraternity. He associates with only the best of society, and is above reproach in all aspects of his life.
He will bring millions, nay, zillions of extra dollars into the coffers of Rugerby League. Tens of thousands of extra spectators will watch the game as a result. Not only here, but worldwide, perhaps even into the furthest reaches of the galaxy. I have liitle doubt the long awaited conquest of the Chinese market is only a short step away. I can see the hordes flooding Tiananmen now chanting 'Lugby Reague, Lugby Reague' accompanied by Mao like banners of Sonny Bill. It will be awesome fellow fans.
I feel so overwhelmed by the whole event that I think on his first reentry into a Rugerby League playing field the ground should be strewn with the fronds of assorted palm trees, and mere mortals like us should be forced to lay prostrate and not raise our faces to gaze upon the great man until such time as he deigns it reasonable for us to do so.
All hail the new 'Prince of the Greatest Game of All'.
Well, for a year at least, or until a better offer comes along.

This post should definitely get the “sook of the year” award.

Besides Superioreasts/BHP or whatever he wants to be known as I haven’t seen one other roosters supporter claim we will win the premiership.

The rest of your post is just an epic meltdown.

bottle

Coach

This post should definitely get the ?sook of the year? award.

Besides Superioreasts/BHP or whatever he wants to be known as I haven?t seen one other roosters supporter claim we will win the premiership.

The rest of your post is just an epic meltdown.
Lol, ok.
At least it gets me an award. I like awards.

Latest posts