What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

Even when Folau left, he did so as his contract expired, and now decided to lose about 1.5 million/ 2 seasons with his return.
Sonny Bill (and his "mates") seem to think you can never have enough money, even to the point of ignoring his passion.
There has to be a point on your bank balance when more money will bring less satisfaction than the joy of the process you love to do.

BODISGOD

Bench
And Folau all of a sudden gives a shit about the code?

The way SBW left the game is unparalleled but don't be naive. Folau signed with a club & organisation who only wanted to use him with the intention of hurting the game that made Folau. He doesn't give a shit about the code, unlike SBW he failed in his switch and has come back with his tail between his legs probably too cautious of embarrassing himself again by trying to pick up a new sport.

And what happens if Folau doesn't make the cut or gets injured? The Sport/Code dumps him. These guys have 10 years in their primes if that to make money. At least he left when his contract was up and left the current one with blessing.

SBW is a bit different..

Except, you know, that SBW was close to the best rugby league player in the world when he left. How the f*ck is that remotely close to the AFL signing a player who has never played the game before and was in no way suited to play it?

:lol::lol::lol:
Oh My ,how can you be taken seriously when you post top shelf comedy material like that?

RWB

Bench
And what happens if Folau doesn't make the cut or gets injured? The Sport/Code dumps him. These guys have 10 years in their primes if that to make money. At least he left when his contract was up and left the current one with blessing.

SBW is a bit different..

So you agree with me, Folau's loyalty lies with the dollar not the league...

BODISGOD

Bench
So you agree with me, Folau's loyalty lies with the dollar not the league...

The people with genuine loyalty to a "code" are fools and I don't think there are many off message boards who have that. As I said codes, clubs and the rest will take you in a spew you out just as quick if it suits them. 90% of players would have taken the deal Folau was offered lets be realistic. He has a short career and needs to maximise it. Loyalty lasts as long as a contract.

Money Bill is doing the same thing except the distinction I draw is him walking out on a contract. That is wrong, you should be committed and loyal so long as your deal lasts.

What interests me about him though is this one year deal stuff. He is playing a high risk strategy. He must have himself insured with Llyods of London or something because one bad injury and he's finished. Atm he's smart to stay in Aus/NZ region as he is so marketable and can make a bit of coin polishing off turds in the boxing ring where there is interest in him. Once he's found out in the heavyweight division he can start going further a field again to make some money.

Tommy Smith

Referee
LOL at people arguing against SBW bring one of the best in the world when he left.

He's the most talented forward in the history of Rugby League or Rugby Union. And it's really not even close IMO. He's won an NRL Premiership, a Super 15 title, Rugby Union World Cup...wherever he goes he wins. Not bad for a forward.

Ive never known any other forward single handedly win games the way he used to. Scoring a try or two, setting up another three with outrageous offloads. He's an absolute freak of nature.

And i feel confident in saying that for as long as i live, i'll never see a more talented forward in either code.

The Eagle

Juniors
LOL at people arguing against SBW bring one of the best in the world when he left.

He's the most talented forward in the history of Rugby League or Rugby Union. And it's really not even close IMO. He's won an NRL Premiership, a Super 15 title, Rugby Union World Cup...wherever he goes he wins. Not bad for a forward.

Ive never known any other forward single handedly win games the way he used to. Scoring a try or two, setting up another three with outrageous offloads. He's an absolute freak of nature.

And i feel confident in saying that for as long as i live, i'll never see a more talented forward in either code.

Overrated

Tommy Smith

Referee
I love how you argued your point. Exactly how is he overrated?

Name me another forward in the game with his wide-ranging skill set.

BODISGOD

Bench

Seeing as he lasted a game or so as a forward in Union and went out to the Centre that is quite a statement!;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Injury prone in RL. Going to be interesting to see if he has toughened up as he's got older.

What I remember of him he had a good offload and could deliver a shoulder charge but don't remember him making 40 tackles a game or coming up with big metre stats?

Ladmate

Bench
SBW was a great natural talent and player, but best ever? Laughable. He didn't do much dirty work in the middle and his defence was average. All of the other parts of his game were pretty great. But the lack of those things makes it hard for me to call him the best.

Billythekid

First Grade
Edit: I'll just distance myself from what Tommy is saying. It's pretty embarrassing to call a player who played that little league or union as the best forward of all time.

:lol::lol::lol:
Oh My ,how can you be taken seriously when you post top shelf comedy material like that?

And you're opinion of him is in no way tainted by the fact that he went to rugby union? You have spent way too much time in the fight club.

what is this i dont even

Seriously, actually, what? Sonny-Bill Williams was not even near the best back-rower in the NRL, never mind the best player in the world. He had some impressive big hits in his highlight reel, but frankly I'd have taken Tonie Carrol over him all day, every day.

Sonny-Bill was marketable and a media darling, at least for a while. His abilties on the field in no way compare to the hype surrounding him.

Says who? SBW was a freak talent who was incredibly dangerous with the ball in hand. The only thing holding him back was injuries (which i'm not downplaying they are a big deal). I'm talking about when he is fit.

Good for you if you would take Tonie Carroll over him. Frankly i think you would have to be incredibly blind to make that decision but that's your opinion.

Injury prone in RL. Going to be interesting to see if he has toughened up as he's got older.

What I remember of him he had a good offload and could deliver a shoulder charge but don't remember him making 40 tackles a game or coming up with big metre stats?

Because making 40 tackles a game and big metres stats is what makes a good player? No doubt he was injury prone and that may happen again this year. However he is potentially a superstar so it's worth the risk for the roosters. It's a one year contract so if it doesn't work out that way, big deal. They get a few big crowds and some extra hype around the club for the year.

It's hardly a big risk.

Last edited:

Geohood

Bench
Mate the Roosters have been an unstoppable force for years now.. This MASSIVE RISK may plunge us to the depths of finishing 13th next year..

Nightward

Juniors
Says who? SBW was a freak talent who was incredibly dangerous with the ball in hand. The only thing holding him back was injuries (which i'm not downplaying they are a big deal). I'm talking about when he is fit.

Good for you if you would take Tonie Carroll over him. Frankly i think you would have to be incredibly blind to make that decision but that's your opinion.

Tonie Carrol was still easily good enough to play for Australia or Queensland in his final year, wasn't injury-prone, and regularly put on monster hits as well as assisting in attacking movements. For week-in, week-out consistency (or, hell, consistency across a single game) Carrol had it all over Sonny-Bill Williams.

Was his highlight reel as full of entertaining shoulder charges? No. Was he as marketable? No. Was he substantially more valuable on the field? You bet.

Billythekid

First Grade
Tonie Carrol was still easily good enough to play for Australia or Queensland in his final year, wasn't injury-prone, and regularly put on monster hits as well as assisting in attacking movements. For week-in, week-out consistency (or, hell, consistency across a single game) Carrol had it all over Sonny-Bill Williams.

Was his highlight reel as full of entertaining shoulder charges? No. Was he as marketable? No. Was he substantially more valuable on the field? You bet.

I was a pretty big fan of Carrol and consider him to be under rated (many people used to say he didn't deserve representative duties). I still don't think he was nearly as valuable as SBW.

Tommy Smith

Referee
This thread is embarrassing. People trying to play down SBWs ability. League fans are flat out worse than AFL fans.

And i never said SBW was the best forward of all-time. Just clearly the most talented. Had he put together a relatively injury free 10-12 year NRL career then yes i reckon he'd go down as the best ever.

His skill set is totally unique. No forward has been able to single handedly win games like he could.

Oh and i didn't know tackles made and metres gained were the best judge of a forward. Danny Nutley, BEST EVA!!! Just ahead of Lance Thompson. SBW, Tallis, Ben Kennedy...these "impact" forwards just dont compare.

For the record i was never a fan of SBW when he was a Dog because we were massive rivals; but i could at least recognise his extreme talent. If someone said to me you could have 12 injury free years of any forward, id take SBW over anyone in a heartbeat.

Genius Freak

Juniors
Bondi Vet Dr. Chris Brown has reported a significant upsurge in the number of new pets named 'Sonny Bill', in the wake of the forward's decision to sign with the Roosters last week.

However Belmore based vets have cautioned pet owners not to be surprised if the animals run away unexpectedly after three or four months.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bondi Vet Dr. Chris Brown has reported a significant upsurge in the number of new pets named 'Sonny Bill', in the wake of the forward's decision to sign with the Roosters last week.

However Belmore based vets have cautioned pet owners not to be surprised if the animals run away unexpectedly after three or four months.

funny-bad-joke-fish.jpg

Latest posts