What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW: the example for Islander players

Frailty

First Grade
No. Willie is the dog in all this.

Willie negotiated a release from the Bulldogs. SBW just leaves.

Willie goes to another NRL team which would be offering virtually the same. SBW goes to another code for much more money.

Willie stayed in Australia. SBW pissed off to France.

Willie faced the media. SBW hides behind Nasser.

SBW has a go at Willie and says he has lost respect for him because he showed no loyalty to the club or his team mates.... SBW leaves all of them without even saying anything.

SBW's actions are much lower than Willie's.... And I hate Mason!

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Willie negotiated a release from the Bulldogs. SBW just leaves.

Willie goes to another NRL team which would be offering virtually the same. SBW goes to another code for much more money.

Willie stayed in Australia. SBW pissed off to France.

Willie faced the media. SBW hides behind Nasser.

SBW has a go at Willie and says he has lost respect for him because he showed no loyalty to the club or his team mates.... SBW leaves all of them without even saying anything.

SBW's actions are much lower than Willie's.... And I hate Mason!

Willie stabbed SBW in the back. SBW hasn't stabbed anyone in the back personally.

sass

Juniors
SaveTheChildren said:
He is a good example to other Islanders though. He has been taken advantage of at every turn.

He is a footballer not a role model. He is acting like a guy that suddenly realised he has been had.

either he's a good example or he's not. why don't you go troll somewhere else?

bartman

Immortal
SBW has been betrayed by Canterbury, his managers and his team mates (namely big willie).
Betrayed by Canterbury... um, how?

Betrayedby his managers? You mean not his "friend" Nasser? Um, how??

And betrayed by Big Willie? Um, how... were they lovers or something??

*cues Sass/Kiki with the link to the video... ahem* (OK, you're offline, so I slipped in the link myself...)

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
either he's a good example or he's not. why don't you go troll somewhere else?
Sass, I think SaveTheChildren might have been trying to have a little go at islanders with that comment... nothing racist mind you, just a little joke about islanders, like :roll:

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Betrayed by Canterbury... um, how?

Betrayedby his managers? You mean not his "friend" Nasser? Um, how??

And betrayed by Big Willie? Um, how... were they lovers or something??

*cues Sass/Kiki with the link to the video... ahem*

Betrayed by Canterbury because they signed a guy for the rest of his career at a fraction of his market value. Canterbury knew his real value and that he is a simpleton.

Betrayed by Gavin Orr for letting the dope sign for 5 years.

Betrayed by Willie, for saying stay with your mates for less, and then f@#cking off when the going got tough.

Cheezel

Juniors
Betrayed by Canterbury because they signed a guy for the rest of his career at a fraction of his market value. Canterbury knew his real value and that he is a simpleton.

Betrayed by Willie, for saying stay with your mates for less, and then f@#cking off when the going got tough.

Sonny Bill has spent more time off the field then on. At the time the Bulldogs were taking a risk in signing him to such a long deal which was pushed by his father.

Get your facts right before defending SBW. SBW did the lowest of low acts by taking off and not even telling his team mates. It doesn't get much lower then that. I wonder who has been in his ear buliding up all this hate towards the bulldogs?

bartman

Immortal
Market value is relative to the money in the game as a whole, and the money availabel to the club. $500K when a club must fit 25 players into their $4million is more than enough "market value" for one (injury prone and obviously thick as a plank) player.

Hardly a betrayal imo - if he wants more money than that maybe he should have followed a different career "choice" to start with? And if he wanted to test his "market value", maybe he and Nasser could have brought out their own range of Tazos or something...

Um, perhaps Sonny Bill wanted to sign? sI can't remember any problems at the time, good money and club security that other players (and teammates) could only dream of... In fact he was quite proud to have secured his future as a Bulldog at the time, I seem to recall, and is only whinging in retrospect? Hardly a betrayal imo...

Betrayed, because a teammate showed himself to be a greedy merkin? More like he's taken after Willie's footsteps, and can;t see his own hypocrisy in doing so.

Again, that "betrayal" only makes sense if SBW and Big Willie were lovers or something... ;-)

http://www.oherrol.com/2008/07/very-late-footy-observations-of-week.html
(scroll half way down and click play)

sass

Juniors
well actually the bulldogs offered sbw a three year contract didn't they? but sbfeelings asked for five and got it.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Market value is relative to the money in the game as a whole, and the money availabel to the club. $500K when a club must fit 25 players into their $4million is more than enough "market value" for one (injury prone and obviously thick as a plank) player.

Hardly a betrayal imo - if he wants more money than that maybe he should have followed a different career "choice" to start with? And if he wanted to test his "market value", maybe he and Nasser could have brought out their own range of Tazos or something...

Um, perhaps Sonny Bill wanted to sign? sI can't remember any problems at the time, good money and club security that other players (and teammates) could only dream of... In fact he was quite proud to have secured his future as a Bulldog at the time, I seem to recall, and is only whinging in retrospect? Hardly a betrayal imo...

Betrayed, because a teammate showed himself to be a greedy merkin? More like he's taken after Willie's footsteps, and can;t see his own hypocrisy in doing so.

Again, that "betrayal" only makes sense if SBW and Big Willie were lovers or something... ;-)

http://www.oherrol.com/2008/07/very-late-footy-observations-of-week.html
(scroll half way down and click play)

The market is not just the NRL dopey. He got a great NRL contract - but a lousy contract for a rugby player.

Yes - he did want to sign. As I have pointed out in a previous thread, Canterbury were exploiting him in doing so.

You don't have to be "lovers" to be betrayed. Sheesh, talk about childish.

Frailty

First Grade
The market is not just the NRL dopey. He got a great NRL contract - but a lousy contract for a rugby player.

Yes - he did want to sign. As I have pointed out in a previous thread, Canterbury were exploiting him in doing so.

He was offered 3 years.... he said no! That is NOBODIES FAULT BUT SONNY BILL WILLIAMS!!! GET THAT THROUGH YOU'RE f**kING THICK SKULL. HE IS OVER 20 YEARS OF AGE NOT A f**kING 13 YEAR OLD!

You are such a wanker, and I seriously think you should get an IQ test done because the level of your 'arguments' are flawed and illogical. I suggest you stop now and keep your opinion to yourself because it is f**king meaningless and, most of all, decreasing the intelligence of anyone who reads your dribble.

You need to have a look at a mirror, and then disappear because nobody would care when you dissappear. I guarantee you probably thought Mundine should have played for Australia! Poor Sonny? If he was ripped off, he only has himself to f**king blame.

Kiki

First Grade
GOD SASSY YOU ARE SO JUVENILE

i cannot believe anyone is trying to defend SBW. i am speechless.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
He was offered 3 years.... he said no! That is NOBODIES FAULT BUT SONNY BILL WILLIAMS!!! GET THAT THROUGH YOU'RE f**kING THICK SKULL. HE IS OVER 20 YEARS OF AGE NOT A f**kING 13 YEAR OLD!

You are such a wanker, and I seriously think you should get an IQ test done because the level of your 'arguments' are flawed and illogical. I suggest you stop now and keep your opinion to yourself because it is f**king meaningless and, most of all, decreasing the intelligence of anyone who reads your dribble.

You need to have a look at a mirror, and then disappear because nobody would care when you dissappear. I guarantee you probably thought Mundine should have played for Australia! Poor Sonny? If he was ripped off, he only has himself to f**king blame.

The real reason people are turning on sonny bill is the tall poppy syndrome.

They are simply jealous that SBW is worth 1.5 million a year and is fulfilling his potential.

All this SBW betraying league and being greedy. The man is thick but he aint stupid. 500 grand of 1.5million. FMD.

bartman

Immortal
But Nasser, you're saying Canterbury betrayed him... therefore the market in question is only the market that Canterbury can participate in. Otherwise it's not a betrayal, just a bad early choice of career by SBW. He should have tried his hand at being a neurosurgeon, or actuary, or boutique real estate agent working on commission.

Sorry, I still don't get how a player wanting to sign with a club, and agreeing to very generous terms with that club, and signing a contract can count as exploitation?

Sheesh, and you're using the example that one of SBW's "heroes" signs with another club at the end of his contract, as reason to jsutify him hopping a plane to France to sign while under contract, instead of just doing what his teammates (most of whom were also teammates of Willie) did, and turn up to training for tomorrow's game?

Ok then. :crazy:

TITAN1

Juniors
I dont know how Sonny Bull is going to handle the french language.
He has trouble with english.

8Ball

First Grade

His real value? The bloke who plays 50% of games? Get real mate. Is Darren Lockyer a "simpleton" for signing 400k per year for 5 years?

f**king Union trolls.

bartman

Immortal
Maybe in 2004 you might have had a point, Nasser, Danny or Candace? At the moment it's more like kicking a really dumb guy when he's down. I almost feel pity that he's so easily led. You could say that he's only thinking with someone else's dick, his manager/friends' which only becomes erect when it sniffs out a two-year stand with easy money, no strings attached.

They are simply jealous that SBW is worth 1.5 million a year and is fulfilling his potential.
No, it's to do with breaking a commitment to other people - your employer who has rewarded you through thick and thin, your workmates and friends, and fans of your talent. Jealousy... doesn't really come into it

All this SBW betraying league and being greedy. The man is thick but he aint stupid. 500 grand of 1.5million. FMD.
The man might get rich sure, but that doesn't mean hes' neither thick nor stupid. The way he's gone about it just shows he's got no heart or selflessness in his entire being.

Frailty

First Grade

Hey I couldn't care less if he wanted to go to Union for the money... He signed a contract that HE SIGNED AND AGREED TO BECAUSE HE WANTED TO! HE NEGOTIATED THE EXTRA TWO YEARS! If he stayed and negotiated a release from the Bulldogs, there wouldn't be the uproar that there is. It is his little hissy fit, that rings such as childish tune as "I don't want to play anymore!", that people are fed up with.

I hope he enjoys his 4 years of nothing. No one will care after then.