What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW: the example for Islander players

8Ball

First Grade
The real reason people are turning on sonny bill is the tall poppy syndrome.

They are simply jealous that SBW is worth 1.5 million a year and is fulfilling his potential.

All this SBW betraying league and being greedy. The man is thick but he aint stupid. 500 grand of 1.5million. FMD.

What part of "honoring your contract" do you not understand?

TITAN1

Juniors
Interesting comment attributed to SBW on his re-signing with the Dogs.. "I'm happy to be staying here with the boys and I'm happy to be here with the Club. I want to be a Bulldog for life. The club is just as much apart of me a part of me as I am of the club. I love the Bulldogs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bill_Williams

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
But Nasser, you're saying Canterbury betrayed him... therefore the market in question is only the market that Canterbury can participate in. Otherwise it's not a betrayal, just a bad early choice of career by SBW. He should have tried his hand at being a neurosurgeon, or actuary, or boutique real estate agent working on commission.

Sorry, I still don't get how a player wanting to sign with a club, and agreeing to very generous terms with that club, and signing a contract can count as exploitation?

Sheesh, and you're using the example that one of SBW's "heroes" signs with another club at the end of his contract, as reason to jsutify him hopping a plane to France to sign while under contract, instead of just doing what his teammates (most of whom were also teammates of Willie) did, and turn up to training for tomorrow's game?

Ok then. :crazy:

You see Bart my boy, that is where you are so wrong. Canterbury are not just in the NRL market, they are in an international market - umm, you know like with rugby players and stuff as well. So signing a bloke worth 1.5 million to an NRL contract for 1/3 for 5 years - shameful on Canterbury's behalf.

I have explained extensively in another thread why Canterbury should not have signed the five year deal that SBW wanted.

When all your mates f off for greener pastures and you earning a million bucks a year less because of it - you feel betrayed.

8Ball

First Grade
You see Bart my boy, that is where you are so wrong. Canterbury are not just in the NRL market, they are in an international market - umm, you know like with rugby players and stuff as well. So signing a bloke worth 1.5 million to an NRL contract for 1/3 for 5 years - shameful on Canterbury's behalf.

I have explained extensively in another thread why Canterbury should not have signed the five year deal that SBW wanted.

When all your mates f off for greener pastures and you earning a million bucks a year less because of it - you feel betrayed.

Fair dinkum. Must be a union troll.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Interesting comment attributed to SBW on his re-signing with the Dogs.. "I'm happy to be staying here with the boys and I'm happy to be here with the Club. I want to be a Bulldog for life. The club is just as much apart of me a part of me as I am of the club. I love the Bulldogs"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bill_Williams

Sounds like a regurgitated media release written on his bahalf. He was happy at the time, because he hadn't realised he had been stitched up at this point.

Frailty

First Grade

Ummm no you feel like a f**king dumbass for negotiating for more years!

... And lol at ALL YOUR MATES.....

bartman

Immortal
No. Sonny might be in that market, but as I have explained extensively in this and the other thread, Canterbury can only operate within the market they are in (4mil for 25 players, $500K being the elite salary in the game of RL).

If you are trying to claim a betrayal of SBW by his club, you'd be better of making the point against the whole NRL and it's market. Perhaps you might make a bit of sense then, and come up with some sensible solutions to the situation for the future.

So are you now saying that Sonny betrayed Canterbury? getting them to offer the deal that he wanted? I've lost you...

All his mates? You were claiming Willie as the main betrayal, and Willie isn't earning $1mil sunshine.

You're not very good at this are you Nasser? Maybe it's only easy when Danny asks the questions. Do you want to promote Anthony's fight while you're here?;-)

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I hope all Dogs fans get out to the game tomorrow as a show of support to the rest of the team. Its very important to do that at a time like this. Watch out Dragons, beware the wounded Bulldog.

Strangely and this is going to be a one off but I will be cheering for the Bulldogs tomorrow night.. I would have no matter who they played barring the Roosters.. Hope they fire up..

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
No. Sonny might be in that market, but as I have explained extensively in this and the other thread, Canterbury can only operate within the market they are in (4mil for 25 players, $500K being the elite salary in the game of RL).

If you are trying to claim a betrayal of SBW by his club, you'd be better of making the point against the whole NRL and it's market. Perhaps you might make a bit of sense then, and come up with some sensible solutions to the situation for the future.

So are you now saying that Sonny betrayed Canterbury? getting them to offer the deal that he wanted? I've lost you...

All his mates? You were claiming Willie as the main betrayal, and Willie isn't earning $1mil sunshine.

You're not very good at this are you Nasser? Maybe it's only easy when Danny asks the questions. Do you want to promote Anthony's fight while you're here?;-)

Willie doesn't need to be earning the extra mill to be the main betrayal.
SBW just happens to be profiting the most. Willie just wanted to go to a successful team. He knows he is too much of a yokel to live in France.

Canterbury betrayed SBW by giving him the offer he asked for. They knew it was a dumb thing for sonny to do - but they took it anyway. Couldn't help themselves. They wanted him locked away for as long as possible because they know what he is worth internationally.

TITAN1

Juniors
Willie doesn't need to be earning the extra mill to be the main betrayal.
SBW just happens to be profiting the most. Willie just wanted to go to a successful team. He knows he is too much of a yokel to live in France.

Canterbury betrayed SBW by giving him the offer he asked for. They knew it was a dumb thing for sonny to do - but they took it anyway. Couldn't help themselves. They wanted him locked away for as long as possible because they know what he is worth internationally.
Isnt that what you hire a manager for?
So his manager is "guilty' as well..

TITAN1

Juniors
BUT,the buck stops with the manager.
If he doesnt think the deal is to his clients benefit,then no signature.
So the blame (so to speak) is the manager,100%.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
BUT,the buck stops with the manager.
If he doesnt think the deal is to his clients benefit,then no signature.
So the blame (so to speak) is the manager,100%.

Gavin Orr hung SBW out to dry. Canterbury claim to be the family club - looking after players. They were not looking out for SBW making him sign for for five years on such a low contract (low on the international not NRL stage).

Canterbury are despicable. Looking after themselves as per usual - and cocking it up as per usual

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
how can they make him sign a contract??

It is really easy. You find yourself a really really dumb Islander and give him a pen. Then you just tell him to sign it cause it is in his best interests.

It is really easy to manipulate halfwits.

bartman

Immortal
That's getting too deep for me to come up with anything to counter it... but if you follow that logic through you have to arrive at the point where you admit that ultimately Sonny Bill betrayed himself? ;-)

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
That's getting too deep for me to come up with anything to counter it... but if you follow that logic through you have to arrive at the point where you admit that ultimately Sonny Bill betrayed himself? ;-)

No. Do you give a child what ever it wants just because it asks for it? Why not? Because it isn't good for the child. A good parent gives a child what is best for it.

Sonny Bill is a dumb footy player and is just like a kid. Canterbury, should have been looking out for sonny - not just giving him what he asked for.

5 years was not in his interests. They were in Canterbury's if he stayed.

Pantherjim.

Referee
No. Do you give a child what ever it wants just because it asks for it? Why not? Because it isn't good for the child. A good parent gives a child what is best for it.

Sonny Bill is a dumb footy player and is just like a kid. Canterbury, should have been looking out for sonny - not just giving him what he asked for.

5 years was not in his interests. They were in Canterbury's if he stayed.

If you're not a Union Troll, you obviously have a hatred of Canterbury as a club?

Either that, or you're a person of Islander Origin yourself with a massive racial chip on your shoulder perhaps?