What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Hill update - SMH 6/7/06

newmanj

Juniors
I can tell you, Glen Morrison was NEVER going to be there next year. I wrote that in these forums after round 1.

Utey

Coach
newmanj said:
I had chats last night to Denis, Ovo, and Michael Hagan. At no stage did any of them speciifically state ANY name of any player we may sign for next year. All talked about the greatly inflated prices being paid for players, and the fact that we will not be spending rediculous money for players. In my opinion, that is a great policy for the future. There is no point paying overs for players just because fans are restless for a signing, ANY signing. This may not please fans in the short term, but i promise in the long term we will be better off. How do you think a bloke like Hindy, for example, would feel if we paid HUGE dollars for a player, when he himself is not paid anything like that. It would destabilise the club. You will see, we will get players, at the right price, before the next season. There are always SUPRISE names that come up. Players that change clubs in the off season that are not even off contract. eg. Lance Thompson. We will be one of the few clubs in the NRL with plenty left to spend. Oh, and by the way, we havent at this time, lost 1 player we have wanted to keep. ALL the good young stars of the future are under lock and key.

Excellent news!

Gotta be the only club not paying overs for players this season.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what a difference a week makes

all our depth on show tonight and one of the most impressive things is we had key injured players out, which tests our depth through out all grades

we've got a good nucleus all right

Eelementary

Post Whore
Jake the snake said:
Your 100% mate.

I always thought so.

I mean, he played well against Melbourne, and then gets dropped. But Jack Afamasaga plays well and keeps his First Grade spot after his debut...No wonder Feleti was a bit down.

parralight

Juniors
newmanj said:
I had chats last night to Denis, Ovo, and Michael Hagan. At no stage did any of them speciifically state ANY name of any player we may sign for next year. All talked about the greatly inflated prices being paid for players, and the fact that we will not be spending rediculous money for players. In my opinion, that is a great policy for the future. There is no point paying overs for players just because fans are restless for a signing, ANY signing. This may not please fans in the short term, but i promise in the long term we will be better off. How do you think a bloke like Hindy, for example, would feel if we paid HUGE dollars for a player, when he himself is not paid anything like that. It would destabilise the club. You will see, we will get players, at the right price, before the next season. There are always SUPRISE names that come up. Players that change clubs in the off season that are not even off contract. eg. Lance Thompson. We will be one of the few clubs in the NRL with plenty left to spend. Oh, and by the way, we havent at this time, lost 1 player we have wanted to keep. ALL the good young stars of the future are under lock and key.

Excellent news.
I am more than satisfied with that.
Typical of the strong leadership that is the cornerstone of our great club and another reason why a club like Souths who are paying everything for a couple of players are heading for extinction.

parra pete

Referee
newmanj said:
I had chats last night to Denis, Ovo, and Michael Hagan. At no stage did any of them speciifically state ANY name of any player we may sign for next year. All talked about the greatly inflated prices being paid for players, and the fact that we will not be spending ridiculous money for players. In my opinion, that is a great policy for the future. There is no point paying overs for players just because fans are restless for a signing, ANY signing. This may not please fans in the short term, but i promise in the long term we will be better off. How do you think a bloke like Hindy, for example, would feel if we paid HUGE dollars for a player, when he himself is not paid anything like that. It would destabilise the club. You will see, we will get players, at the right price, before the next season. There are always SURPRISE names that come up. Players that change clubs in the off season that are not even off contract. eg. Lance Thompson. We will be one of the few clubs in the NRL with plenty left to spend. Oh, and by the way, we havent at this time, lost 1 player we have wanted to keep. ALL the good young stars of the future are under lock and key.

Those are my sentiments entirely!!! Great minds must think alike :lol:

lucablight

First Grade
newmanj said:
If we wanted to hold onto him, we wouldnt have released him. It was OUR decision.

I find it unacceptable that on one hand they don't want to keep Morrison but on the other hand they won't replace him with someone of at least equal ability or better by paying overs. If you don't want to pay ridiculous sums of cash why put yourself in that position by releasing him in the first place?

mickdo

Coach
lucablight said:
I find it unacceptable that on one hand they don't want to keep Morrison but on the other hand they won't replace him with someone of at least equal ability or better by paying overs. If you don't want to pay ridiculous sums of cash why put yourself in that position by releasing him in the first place?
He had a get out clause. We didn't release him, he got out.

lucablight

First Grade
mickdo said:
He had a get out clause. We didn't release him, he got out.

There have been conflicting stories. I should have said IF it he was released at the discretion of management than by his own accord then I believe this.

bartman

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
Your 100% mate.
Surely if Mateo is good enough he would have gotten over that issue by now? Returned to the club this year after developing himself in England for a season, had everything to play for, new coaching staff to impress... shouldn't that have helped him clean up the attitude and got himself off the PL bench before the half-way point in the season?

Stagger eel

Staff member
lucablight said:
Fair enough. Make sure you keep sharing that info. ;-)

yes sir :roll:

I'll share what I can...but I'll definitely keep that 90 to 95% of what i hear to myself, you'd be surprised who reads the forums.;-)

newmanj

Juniors
I couldnt care less who reads the forums. Unless i am told not to say something, i will share it. I have never broken any confidential things i have been told, but most things are a case of, you ask the question, and you get told the answer. If you ask enough questions, you get the answers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
newmanj said:
I couldnt care less who reads the forums. Unless i am told not to say something, i will share it. I have never broken any confidential things i have been told, but most things are a case of, you ask the question, and you get told the answer. If you ask enough questions, you get the answers.

OK, when will I win tattslotto ?

Parraren

Bench
eelavation said:
official: no, money's too big in England, we can't match it. [see sun Herald]

eela: Myles??

Official: no..but i can't say who it is.

capish ??? ;-)

Could be interpreted that we may be talking to (the manager of) a player who is under contract with another club that may want out?

Hence all the hush hush...

Stagger eel

Staff member
Parraren said:
Could be interpreted that we may be talking to (the manager of) a player who is under contract with another club that may want out?

Hence all the hush hush...

mate, it could be anyone..

Latest posts