What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2021

Hooper was saying on MMM today that we still have 800k up our sleeve. Pity there is not much on the market! I guess we’ll be paying upgrades this year to reduce wages next year.

When he was first rumoured I was dead against signed Jet, however now I’m very excited to watch him and agree with all you say.

Even though I followed it from the outside he never seemed to settle at Souths, he looked a shadow of that we saw at Titans/Broncos. 2 tries in 18 games which is 0.11% strike rate compared to his career of 0.55%, something was up.

Watching him now he looks physically in the best shape of his life and as you said appears to be settled off field. The guys doesn’t need to play footy, he’s here on minimum wage, he wants to play.

With younger Indigenous guys Laurie, Tyrone Roberts-Davis, Fitzgibbon and Kiah Cooper he seems to have become a bit of a leader/mentor which he’s probably never been before.

He gives us something we haven’t had since 2017, genuine PACE! We haven’t had a ‘shut the gate’ guy since Tedesco. Nofa has spoken glowingly about the pairing and I’m keen as to see him tearing down the right sideline for us.

Yeah he’s also looking pretty happy and engaged in the pre-season vids and photos!

BJ is also looking a lot fitter than for most of last year.

We have big powerful backs ( looking fit) and I suspect Madge is looking to use them to create space in a variety of ways. A real nightmare for stock defenders.

You look at Latrell before his fullback malarky, defence needs 2 or 3 to stop him. He’s often used to draw players to him to create the opportunities next play. I think Madge has that idea in mind as well.

Thus it’s critical everyone is uber fit and we will need bodies in motion to capitalise. Cut outs, decoys, the works.

Everyone loves the visual of the try, but it’s the intricacies of the build up that also fascinates me.

Thus the South v knights game in the finals last year. Attack heaven in that second half. That was the game where Walkers hands turned into silk. I’ve watched it a few times, watched the gaps appear out of nowhere. We should be practising that as well.

With our bigs guys running, their momentum will assist significantly. Tackling Roberts or Bj on the fly close to the line...takes great skill and courage.

Fordy20

Juniors
I get sick all the crap thrown at Moses Mybe on this forum and others. Ok he is not Joey Johns but it’s not his fault that dip stick Cleary threw mega bucks at him. He is a solid first grade footballer, nothing more, nothing less. It’s not his fault our club signed off on the deal and it’s not like he is plodding around like Packer.

He carried a injury most of last year that did not help. As for captain, I have seen worse and was pretty good in front of the media.

This year will be interesting as we now have all his positions covered, but he could end up a very handy 14 if you ignore his wage

You can't ignore his wage. Fans expect players on big money to play well and deliver results on the field for their team and the fact remains that he hasn't done that, irrespective of how well he speaks to the media or the fact that he was carrying an injury.

Reynolds was injured for much of his time with us and he didn't escape criticism. Brooks cops it as well, despite the fact that he's on less money and has at least shown some ability in the past.

If Mbye was on half his wage, he probably wouldn't cop so much criticism and that's what I'm sick of, players like Mbye stealing a wage and sucking up cap space. We just traded away a younger and more talented player than Mbye just so we could sign a player in the position that Mbye was supposed to fill in the first place.

Tiger05

First Grade
If Mbye was on half his wage, he probably wouldn't cop so much criticism and that's what I'm sick of, players like Mbye stealing a wage and sucking up cap space.

Exactly. I think Mbye is a decent player. He is a first grader but to be fair probably better as a utility player. The problem is he is taking up too much cap space for the results he provides us.

Let's see how he goes this year but his career is not in a good state at this point.

stryker

First Grade
Yeah he’s also looking pretty happy and engaged in the pre-season vids and photos!

BJ is also looking a lot fitter than for most of last year.

We have big powerful backs ( looking fit) and I suspect Madge is looking to use them to create space in a variety of ways. A real nightmare for stock defenders.

You look at Latrell before his fullback malarky, defence needs 2 or 3 to stop him. He’s often used to draw players to him to create the opportunities next play. I think Madge has that idea in mind as well.

Thus it’s critical everyone is uber fit and we will need bodies in motion to capitalise. Cut outs, decoys, the works.

Everyone loves the visual of the try, but it’s the intricacies of the build up that also fascinates me.

Thus the South v knights game in the finals last year. Attack heaven in that second half. That was the game where Walkers hands turned into silk. I’ve watched it a few times, watched the gaps appear out of nowhere. We should be practising that as well.

With our bigs guys running, their momentum will assist significantly. Tackling Roberts or Bj on the fly close to the line...takes great skill and courage.
Good post and agree.

WA Tiger

Bench
You can't ignore his wage. Fans expect players on big money to play well and deliver results on the field for their team and the fact remains that he hasn't done that, irrespective of how well he speaks to the media or the fact that he was carrying an injury.

Reynolds was injured for much of his time with us and he didn't escape criticism. Brooks cops it as well, despite the fact that he's on less money and has at least shown some ability in the past.

If Mbye was on half his wage, he probably wouldn't cop so much criticism and that's what I'm sick of, players like Mbye stealing a wage and sucking up cap space. We just traded away a younger and more talented player than Mbye just so we could sign a player in the position that Mbye was supposed to fill in the first place.
I wish Mbye didn’t speak so well to the media then he may not be the captain...As captain he’s imo more window dressing for the club than substance. I don’t remember seeing anything captain like from him on the field...

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade

As I said it was that dip stick Cleary who put the crazy money contract in front of Moses. Should have he said, no to the contract because it was in excess of his ability?

Once again he is a very solid FG footballer, not elite, but probably next level down. His true value in today’s market is probably around 450 to 500. Anyway let’s see what he delivers this year without the big C around his neck and a better squad.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Mbye was playing well at Bulldogs when we signed with us - which back then instantly made you worth 750k+ for Tigers. Head Office were absolutely clueless in how to spend our cap money, and you can bet the house the player agents were all colluding together to ensure that Tigers remained a payday destination. Then you had the pressure from fans to see some big signings, and Cleary (being the spineless shitbag that he is) wasn't ever thinking long term success for Tigers, he just wanted to bide his time until a better role became available., You all know the rest - no need to dwell on the past.

That has all changed with the appointment of Madge and Hartigan. No more big signings, just really talented youth that Madge can build from the ground up. This is a long term play - something us Tigers fans didn't want to hear but we know deep down it's the only way. Patience is a virtue we all know too well.

Mbye and Packer are simply the last guard of the shitstorm era, and their salaries are reflective of a time we have put behind us. I don't think either will be at the club once their current contract runs out. Packer will no doubt retire and Mbye will sign with a Super League club. Even if Mbye became such a good bench utility he receives a regular # 17 Qld jersey, not a chance in France he is taking a 50% pay cut when he could just move overseas.

super_coach

First Grade
My guess Moses M will end up north of the boarder maybe as early as next year. He would be a shoe in at the Bronks or the Cowboys in a starting role as a 6 or 7. We would probably have to pay some of the coin for the first year. I guess a lot will depend on how Madden develops this year, as having depth in the 6 and 7 role will influence the club.

Of course he could come out this year and be fantastic and we hold him to his contract.

Tiger Ted

Bench
My guess Moses M will end up north of the boarder maybe as early as next year. He would be a shoe in at the Bronks or the Cowboys in a starting role as a 6 or 7. We would probably have to pay some of the coin for the first year. I guess a lot will depend on how Madden develops this year, as having depth in the 6 and 7 role will influence the club.

Of course he could come out this year and be fantastic and we hold him to his contract.
He knows he’s not wanted at concord.Fact is that his manager has approached all 3 Qld clubs for a transfer back home but unfortunately for us there were no takers.We have a naturally gifted 6 in AD & have recruited a brilliant young fullback who is streets ahead of Mbye.Hence his best hope is to claim a utility role on the bench albeit we do have some talent competing for spots on our bench.
We may be stuck with him for 2 more seasons when the timeliness of intro of 2nd Brisbane team will likely enable him to obtain a contract with them.

super_coach

First Grade
Some guy on the other forum said Hastings has signed a two year deal starting this year.
Interesting if true, you would assume if this is correct, Billy Waters will get his release and maybe Moses to.

Handy player to have in your squad, would certainly put the heat on Brooks

Any dangerous illegal play against one of our guys is going to be dealt with very harshly by the boys I’d say.

Big Jim simply doesn’t have enough arms to pull half our side away from the transgressor and then his mates.

We will need some modicum of discipline out there.

When you think about it, our cleanest “ good boy” is currently suspended as it is!

I think the Canberra game is bound to end up in a very bad brawl at some point. Very tough sides. I just hope no one from either side is genuinely injured or suspended.

A brawl is good optics unless someone gets badly hurt. The mighty air swing. They all think they are Muhammad Ali.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Any dangerous illegal play against one of our guys is going to be dealt with very harshly by the boys I’d say.

Big Jim simply doesn’t have enough arms to pull half our side away from the transgressor and then his mates.

We will need some modicum of discipline out there.

When you think about it, our cleanest “ good boy” is currently suspended as it is!

I think the Canberra game is bound to end up in a very bad brawl at some point. Very tough sides. I just hope no one from either side is genuinely injured or suspended.

A brawl is good optics unless someone gets badly hurt. The mighty air swing. They all think they are Muhammad Ali.
Manly should be sporting as well, with Penrith and the old chestnut Parra.:boxing_glove:

Manly should be sporting as well, with Penrith and the old chestnut Parra.:boxing_glove:

The Smug should be a ripper. Big Jim will want to make a pertinent point about his devaluation and replacement by the likes of Yeo and Boy Wonder. That’s like replacing a tuned up Lexus with two 1990s Kias.

They made Yeo captain because he can almost spell his name and Nate....is the coaches son.

Plus we have to teach a few former players some manners.

As for the eels, I’d include Packer at the death to spook and distract them! Moses has been great for squandering the eels chances. They deserve him.

Manlys forwards looked very tired last year. Des said they didn’t listen to him. He was beyond upset!

Last edited: