What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023 thread

Ah the Lions…. My missus is from Michigan so they’re my NFL team by default. I tell everyone I’m used to following shit teams already because of the Warriors
They have some good recruits and coach seems passionate by what is seen on the show. Brutal to cut so many from the training camps.

Penrose_11

Juniors
You’ve gotta think Webster will want to put his recruiting footprint on the team. Be interesting what happens once Oct 3rd rolls around and the finals are all done. Eddie Blacker playing prop for Panthers res’s might be someone at the top of his list. Signed to 2023 but hasn’t played 1st grade unless the top 4-5 props are out. He’s a unit and got speed to burn. Tracked down Drinkwater on the weekend

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Just a wild guess at the XVII for next year:

1. CNK/Metcalf 2. DWZ 3. Vailea 4. Walker 5. Montoya 6. Volkman/TMM 7. SJ 8. AFB 9. Egan 10. Harris 11. Barnett 12. Niukore 13. Curran 14. Tevaga 15. Ale 16. BMM 17. Bunty

I couldn't figure where Walker was going to fit in, don't think it's been mentioned what we've signed him for? I doubt we've signed him as a bench utility.

No one is under any illusion that team is a premiership winning one, but it should win games - especially at home. And there's no reason it can't be a side like the Raiders, making the finals.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I think Jazz will struggle to make our best 17 next year. Just not quick enough and without the quality ball playing skills required for the current game. I actually think Walker will end up as a 50-60 minute player off the bench and providing cover centre. Metcalf for me is someone who I think will really kick on. Speed to burn and plays 1, 6 or 7. And we’re still a prop or 3 short of where we need to be.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Yeah I don’t know how that works. $750k from us and another $400-$600k from the Rorters???? Highest paid player in the comp

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Just a wild guess at the XVII for next year:

1. CNK/Metcalf 2. DWZ 3. Vailea 4. Walker 5. Montoya 6. Volkman/TMM 7. SJ 8. AFB 9. Egan 10. Harris 11. Barnett 12. Niukore 13. Curran 14. Tevaga 15. Ale 16. BMM 17. Bunty

I couldn't figure where Walker was going to fit in, don't think it's been mentioned what we've signed him for? I doubt we've signed him as a bench utility.

No one is under any illusion that team is a premiership winning one, but it should win games - especially at home. And there's no reason it can't be a side like the Raiders, making the finals.
Id start the season probably with CNK at the back. Just for safety and consistency.
Kosi on the wing ahead of Montoya.
Metcalf on the bench instead of BMM. And then he becomes fullback mid season and CNK goes to centre and Walker goes to 14 or Vailea goes out.
SJ & TMM in the halves but Volkman straight in as soon as SJ starts slipping.

Pretty close to what you have too. I hate (and love) that Webster is at Penrith who are still in the hunt because Id love to hear his thoughts some more on next season.

Bit concerned that hell go from finals with Penrith, to the world cup with Samoa and then straight into the pre season as head coach with the Warriors. Pretty full on

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Bit concerned that hell go from finals with Penrith, to the world cup with Samoa and then straight into the pre season as head coach with the Warriors. Pretty full on
Big load, but all I hear of him is that he is ultra professional and loves hard work. I actually think we've signed the right guy - there's no point thinking someone like Madge Maguire could do the job, when he couldn't get it done at the Tigers who have a similar poor record and struggles at management level.

One Warrior

Bench
Id start the season probably with CNK at the back. Just for safety and consistency.
Kosi on the wing ahead of Montoya.
Metcalf on the bench instead of BMM. And then he becomes fullback mid season and CNK goes to centre and Walker goes to 14 or Vailea goes out.
SJ & TMM in the halves but Volkman straight in as soon as SJ starts slipping.

Pretty close to what you have too. I hate (and love) that Webster is at Penrith who are still in the hunt because Id love to hear his thoughts some more on next season.

I believe that Webster has stood down from Samoa, he starts straight with the Warriors, this is also the same with Richard Agar, Webster shifts to NZ in mid October and starts with the Warriors at the end of October.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Websters first interview RE us and 2023

Some key points for me:

- Same coaching staff as last year but they will share duties eg Morgan not solely responsible for defence anymore
- Slade Griffin and Adam Blair coaching NSW Cup and SG Ball respectively
- Sounds very keen to get started and seems like he will try and build a Penrith style of culture (everyone playing for each other
- Wants Tohu at lock in a similar role to Yeo
- Is going to start with an experienced spine and expects the young players Volmkan and Metcalf to push for spots

1. CNK
6. TMM
7. SJ
9. Egan
13. Tohu

Blair

Coach
1. CNK
6. TMM
7. SJ
9. Egan
13. Tohu
All we want for Christmas is a new front-rower. Another good one, to partner the good one we already have. We'll be competitive, a different side even, with both of them on the field at the same time.

Like we were last season. Remember the humiliation losing to Cronulla with 13 v 11? That was a completely different story in the first half when we had both Blake and Lodge firing. Then Brown took one (or both) of them off, kept them off too long, and we collapsed.

Rich102

Staff member
I can't see us going far with Johnson in the side.
His time is over.

i

Reactions: JJ

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
He gets a couple of weeks to see if he fires up on the home track, past that he’s really just there to bring the young guys through.

Rich102

Staff member
Meanwhile, Nathaniel Roache has landed an NRL lifeline after a horror run with injuries.

The 26-year-old has joined Manly on a train and replacement contract.

Roache was with the Eels in 2021 on a development deal but a knee injury in June ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

It was a cruel blow for Roache, who had already suffered three ACL tears, a ruptured Achilles, a lumbar disc injury and has had ankle surgery during his short career.

But his luck has changed with a deal that also benefits Manly given they have limited options at hooker should anything happen to Lachlan Croker.

Latest posts