What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2023 thread

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
With the recent news, just wanted to start this thread on 2023 to lay out the moves that the club is making and the pros and cons of each move.

Player wise, you can pretty much say they are completely overhauling the squad:

Marata Niukore 2026 (Parramatta Eels)
Luke Metcalf 2024 (Cronulla Sharks)
Dylan Walker 2025 (Manly Sea Eagles)
Mitchell Barnett 2025 (Newcastle Knights)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2025 (Canberra Raiders)
Te Maire Martin 2025 (Brisbane Broncos)
Freddy Lussick (Sydney Roosters)
Ronald Volkman (Sydney Roosters)

Coaching wise some moves are starting to be made:
Craig Hodges out as Football GM
Cappy in as Football GM
Brownie out as Head Coach
Webster in as Head Coach

It's obvious that head office is desperately trying to improve things, but weve been here before, will it really be any better? I will admit, its a decent list of players coming in. I still reckon the assistants need a refresh too. Happy to keep Stacey, but probably time for Morgan to go, been one of our worst defensive years and that is his area.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
That list of signings, there isn’t anyone there that you look at and think “wow, this bloke will have a huge influence”, that whole list is full of guys who could go either way

Niukore, had a good year in the centre’s last year, but I’m not sure he is a pack leader type, but he may surprise. Walker has been playing a good role as a middle forward off the bench, but if used at centre his best days are long behind him
Barnett you might get a Michael Luck type solid tradesman. Lussick a perennial backup, Volkman big potential but unsure why he is out of favour now after showing promise.
CNK, great season a few years back, has he now reached his plateau. I haven’t seen much of TMM at the Broncos. Metcalf has always had attacking talent but Hasler happy to let him go and even with injuries at times this year the Sharks haven’t used him

Benek

Juniors
We're suuuuuper light on props if we don't make a signing or two before next year. Fix up the middle and I think the squad has some potential to surprise if we get these guys firing.

hitro

Juniors
How about David Klemmer? Sounds like he's ready to leave Newcastle. Kind of psycho but would put some oomph back into the prop rotation

TheDMC

Bench
I think Walker and TMM may prove to be the best signings of that bunch. Walker has been great for the Sea Eagles from the more than a few matches I've watched him in this year and last. I particularly like his aggressive defense and of course, ball playing ability. I think TMM is a quite a footballer too.

But....it really comes down to coaching

Seemingly average players suddenly become world class when in an enabling environment, with a great coaching set up central to it.

And potentially good players look like mud in a crap set up.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
We're suuuuuper light on props if we don't make a signing or two before next year. Fix up the middle and I think the squad has some potential to surprise if we get these guys firing.
It’s the area that you should never be light on too, there should be so many rough diamond types running around in Auckland that can fill the job

I know we are in a different era but you look back at the early days of the Warriors on Once a Warrior and you always see highlights of likes of Tatupu, Tuimavave, Okesene etc

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I reckon we're one good NRL quality prop away from thinking yeah, we're a genuine chance at finals. We have AFB, and looks like Tohu will stay there too - he was epic on the weekend. He's been pushing out 100+ metres every week, and sometimes much much more, plus gets through 35+ tackles. What a lion heart he is. Bunty is OK as a fourth banana, then I'd love us to get one more. Having said that, our depth is mud - so if one or more goes down, we're absolute toast.

I still think with that squad, being back at home, etc, we should be 8th to 10th and get to play finals if things go our way with injuries, close games etc.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I reckon we're one good NRL quality prop away from thinking yeah, we're a genuine chance at finals. We have AFB, and looks like Tohu will stay there too - he was epic on the weekend. He's been pushing out 100+ metres every week, and sometimes much much more, plus gets through 35+ tackles. What a lion heart he is. Bunty is OK as a fourth banana, then I'd love us to get one more. Having said that, our depth is mud - so if one or more goes down, we're absolute toast.

I still think with that squad, being back at home, etc, we should be 8th to 10th and get to play finals if things go our way with injuries, close games etc.
There's really not much quality available for next year either. Might need Webster to get into some of the Samoans ears at the world cup to break contract. Cough Moses leota cough.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There's really not much quality available for next year either. Might need Webster to get into some of the Samoans ears at the world cup to break contract. Cough Moses leota cough.
Yeah, I looked at the available talent (from zerotackle) - Morgan Boyle, Herman Ese'ese, Poasa Faamausili, Sione Fainu, Andrew Fifita, Lachlan Gale, Royce Hunt, Ryan James, Matthew Lodge, Dunamis Lui, Jordan McLean, Franklin Pele, Emry Pere, Pasami Saulo, James Tamou, Martin Taupau, Aiden Tolman

Leber

Bench
I’m still worried about our backs. Niukore seems for of a second rower for mine and cnk has been out of form for a bit. Berry and values aren’t first graders either.

Wonder if taane Milne would come back. He’s the only off contract centre that doesn’t look shit.

Campion

Juniors
We had Poasa Faamausili as a loan player if I recall and he went pretty good. Jordan McLean and James Tamou look the pick of the bunch but I would want neither of them.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Former Leeds head coach Richard Agar has signed a two-year deal as an assistant coach for New Zealand Warriors from 2023.

Agar, 50, has coached over 200 Super League games across stints with Hull, Wakefield and the Rhinos.

He will work under incoming head coach Andrew Webster from the 2023 NRL season. The pair will also work together for Samoa at this year’s World Cup in England.

“Richard has tremendous experience in top level coaching and will add huge value to our coaching team,” said Warriors CEO Cameron George.

“He’ll provide terrific support for our new head coach Andrew Webster in his role alongside his fellow assistant coaches Stacey Jones and Justin Morgan.”

Agar started his coaching career with the York City Knights in 2003. He then stepped up to the Super League where he guided Hull from 2008-2011 and then Wakefield from 2012-2014.

He was also a part of Tony Smith’s coaching team at Warrington.

Most recently, he led Leeds Rhinos from 2019 until 2022, when he resigned as head coach. The Rhinos did confirm that he had a future role at the club, but will now make the move Down Under next season.

In 2020, he coached Leeds to Challenge Cup glory, defeating Salford 17-16 at Wembley.

Agar has also previously coached France on the international stage, taking the side to the quarter-finals in the 2013 Rugby League World Cup. Along with Webster, he joined Samoa’s coaching staff this year.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Don't all teams have that many coaches though?
Yeah they do have at least 2 assistants. Amazing these days how many people are involved in it, yet so many of the head coaches don’t do the recruitment that they all used to do back in the day

Yeah they do have at least 2 assistants. Amazing these days how many people are involved in it, yet so many of the head coaches don’t do the recruitment that they all used to do back in the day
Watch the NFL show hard knocks this season on the Detroit Lions, there are so many coaches there it is not funny then 1-2 assistance to each coach, there are near 30 people in a room when making the calls to cut squad down.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Watch the NFL show hard knocks this season on the Detroit Lions, there are so many coaches there it is not funny then 1-2 assistance to each coach, there are near 30 people in a room when making the calls to cut squad down.
Ah the Lions…. My missus is from Michigan so they’re my NFL team by default. I tell everyone I’m used to following shit teams already because of the Warriors