What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024 over

matPORTS

Juniors
There are absolutely no words that can describe how crap we must all be feeling after that. About the game itself and the fact that our season is hanging by a thread, there are no more words.

Titans potentially beating the Knights today will only give us more false hope. Rip the band-aid off I say. We are done in 2024! For some in the group, Bali awaits. Lomax is setting up his boxing bout with Bronson Xeri. Some might get calls ups for their country and good luck to them.

The biggest takeaway, that I alluded to in the match thread, is what do we take out of the game? I see absolutely no lessons that can be learnt in terms of our 2024 season. If we didn't learn something in the final 10 minutes where we bloody scored 28 points (that must be another record surely in addition to scoring 40 and losing the bloody game) - then this playing group will never learn anything.

We need more than just Damien Cook and Valentine Holmes:

- We need to lock in that big bopper veteran prop as soon as possible (if this is indeed RCG let's get it done)

- We need some speedy wingers with grunt. Do whatever it takes to get Jack Bostock back home.

- Give Jayden Su'a the captaincy, and find us another back rower to support him (or promise Dylan Egan a jersey and tell him this off season that he has only two jobs - tackle hard and run hard - at the very least he isn't a mentally scared player).

FINALLY

Ben Hunt - I've been patient, I've been one of your biggest defenders on this discussion forum and among neutrals + opposition fans.

I saw yesterday you had your left knee taped up and were struggling to get to your first receiver position, and you were still having a go...

BUT

It's time for you to go mate. Not just relinquishing the captaincy, but home to Queensland. Thanks for your service (for the millions of dollars it's been worth). You are not the leader that this football team commands in order to bring us a new era of success.

- Get on the phone to the Dolphins, work out the swap deal. Ben Hunt for Isiah Katoa or Sean O'Sullivan (+ try to get Jack Bostock somehow included per above as well).

- I'm also going to throw in there... it's also time to pressure the Melbourne Storm salary cap squeeze and get Tyronne Wishart home as well.

We need to be effing ruthless off the field if ever we are going to be anything but below average on it ever again.

I'm sick of losing to the Sharks, Roosters, Bulldogs and Rabbitohs.

I'm sick of seeing Melbourne Storm always winning the minor premiership or at least in the top four (I respect the Panthers for how they have built their club and we need to take similar lessons).

FFS St George Illawarra - we've all gotta get better !!!

BLM01

First Grade
Its over YES, I am cashing in my SF ticket. We will know today anyway if Knights beat Titans. our F & A will not allow us to jump Knights or Dolphins who play off next week unless we beat the Raiders by 70-80.

BLM01

First Grade
There are absolutely no words that can describe how crap we must all be feeling after that. About the game itself and the fact that our season is hanging by a thread, there are no more words.

Titans potentially beating the Knights today will only give us more false hope. Rip the band-aid off I say. We are done in 2024! For some in the group, Bali awaits. Lomax is setting up his boxing bout with Bronson Xeri. Some might get calls ups for their country and good luck to them.

The biggest takeaway, that I alluded to in the match thread, is what do we take out of the game? I see absolutely no lessons that can be learnt in terms of our 2024 season. If we didn't learn something in the final 10 minutes where we bloody scored 28 points (that must be another record surely in addition to scoring 40 and losing the bloody game) - then this playing group will never learn anything.

- We need to lock in that big bopper veteran prop as soon as possible (if this is indeed RCG let's get it done)

- We need some speedy wingers with grunt. Do whatever it takes to get Jack Bostock back home.

- Give Jayden Su'a the captaincy, and find us another back rower to support him (or promise Dylan Egan a jersey and tell him this off season that he has only two jobs - tackle hard and run hard - at the very least he isn't a mentally scared player).

FINALLY

Ben Hunt - I've been patient, I've been one of your biggest defenders on this discussion forum and among neutrals + opposition fans.

I saw yesterday you had your left knee taped up and were struggling to get to your first receiver position, and you were still having a go...

BUT

It's time for you to go mate. Not just relinquishing the captaincy, but home to Queensland. Thanks for your service (for the millions of dollars it's been worth). You are not the leader that this football team commands in order to bring us a new era of success.

- Get on the phone to the Dolphins, work out the swap deal. Ben Hunt for Isiah Katoa or Sean O'Sullivan (+ try to get Jack Bostock somehow included per above as well).

- I'm also going to throw in there... it's also time to pressure the Melbourne Storm salary cap squeeze and get Tyronne Wishart home as well.

We need to be effing ruthless off the field if ever we are going to be anything but below average on it ever again.

I'm sick of seeing Melbourne Storm always winning the minor premiership or at least in the top four (I respect the Panthers for how they have built their club and we need to take similar lessons).

I am sicking of losing to our new monkey team in the Eels. My step daughter went crazy with me yesterday as I sat at watched from the sideline in Comm bank. First time there..WOW What a stadium to play in but pricey. $100 to sit 10 rows back from the fence but 10 metres out for a club game and queues for miles to buy a beer. Enjoyed the experience..not the game. Not even the last 10 as knew we would run out of time no matter how much they stopped the clock.

Dragon David

First Grade

FINALLY

BUT

I could not have said it any better matPORTS. I agree with what you have said 100%.

Old Timer

Coach
The ignominious nature of some of the losses this year and in particular yesterday’s one are what really cuts to the bone.

Shameful, embarrassing, sole less, deplorable, devastating, gut wrenching are just some of the words to describe them.

I posted many games ago that the last 3 games of the season would define our season and I still stand by that and thus far in 2 of those we were found totally wanting and looked like a complete rabble who shook hands for the 1st time as they ran down the tunnel.

Now as much as our season is done and dusted let’s hope that in our last game we at least explore something for our future because if we don’t then IMO we will have actually gone backwards.

matPORTS

Juniors
I'll also say further to my previous post.

I really hope that Flanno does not choose this as his hill to die on.

I know it's a never ending narrative for us as a supporter base, but the days of us bagging the coach and calling for their sacking have to be well and truly past us now. This toxicity is getting us nowhere fast.

We (as in the entire club from those that run the place all the way through to supporter base) need to acknowledge that we just don't have the cattle to get the job done on the field. If certain players are not on the bus (both mentality and physically), it's time for those players to go (be it dropped back to reserve grade or out the door entirely).

Flanno will have my 100% support through any further pain that this may cause us over the next couple of years. But we've got to be ruthless now. The playing roster is overdue for a massive sweep and clean. We have started, but we've got to go further if the results are to improve in 2025>.

Crush

Coach
The ignominious nature of some of the losses this year and in particular yesterday’s one are what really cuts to the bone.

Shameful, embarrassing, sole less, deplorable, devastating, gut wrenching are just some of the words to describe them.

I posted many games ago that the last 3 games of the season would define our season and I still stand by that and thus far in 2 of those we were found totally wanting and looked like a complete rabble who shook hands for the 1st time as they ran down the tunnel.

Now as much as our season is done and dusted let’s hope that in our last game we at least explore something for our future because if we don’t then IMO we will have actually gone backwards.
I don’t want to get into an all day back and forth with you OT, especially on Father’s Day, happy Father’s Day BTW.
But we have definitely improved this year out of site compared to previous few seasons.
You highlight the big losses without making mention of the great wins we had.
Storm, Penrith, Broncos away.
It’s been a roller coaster of a year but for the first time in ages we have hope now.
Next year will be better, this year was a success for a year 1 project new coach.
Dust will settle, come February next year we will all be frothing for the new season.

matPORTS

Juniors
I am sicking of losing to our new monkey team in the Eels. My step daughter went crazy with me yesterday as I sat at watched from the sideline in Comm bank. First time there..WOW What a stadium to play in but pricey. $100 to sit 10 rows back from the fence but 10 metres out for a club game and queues for miles to buy a beer. Enjoyed the experience..not the game. Not even the last 10 as knew we would run out of time no matter how much they stopped the clock.

Agreed - I'm also sick of having hoodoos against certain clubs. It's something that's engrained in our DNA. Again, we get hope that things may be changing (such as finally being able to beat the Storm in Melbourne after 25 years), but then we see what happened yesterday...

dungay dragon

Juniors

FINALLY

BUT

Well said.....Ditto
Flanno needs to be ruthless with our so called TOP 30 ....simply because we dont have 1
a lot of our squad are NSW Cup at best..The mates and the brothers have to go
No 1 Priority...The Skipper has to go ....Redcliffe ?? great idea ,,2 for 1 Sully and Bostock
Change has to come and now

Old Timer

Coach
I don’t want to get into an all day back and forth with you OT, especially on Father’s Day, happy Father’s Day BTW.
But we have definitely improved this year out of site compared to previous few seasons.
You highlight the big losses without making mention of the great wins we had.
Storm, Penrith, Broncos away.
It’s been a roller coaster of a year but for the first time in ages we have hope now.
Next year will be better, this year was a success for a year 1 project new coach.
Dust will settle, come February next year we will all be frothing for the new season.
Happy Father's Day Crush.

I'm just off to the cemetery to put some beautiful flowers from our garden for my Dad & Mum (great Dragon supporters) and then off to Yum Cha at my favourite place in Chatswood and will knock down a few Ching Tao's and maybe a Riesling or two.

The wins aren't lost on me and I am thankful for them but some of the losses are so appalling and unforgivable in nature.

IMO losses of that nature have had a more deleterious and longer lasting effect on this team than any of the positives from meritorious wins thus my original comment.

I expected some wins and got them, I expected some losses and got them too but what I didn't expect was the pizzling's and the reason I didn't expect them was the words of the coach.

He said we would be tough, wouldn't beat ourselves etc etc and said after a couple of logging's that would all stop but it has continued right to the end of the season and if not for the Eels taking the foot of the pedal and worrying about next week yesterday would have been far far worse and IMO the last 10 minutes or was pretty much nothing about us and actually all about them.

My opinion could actually alter somewhat simply on the back of next week's game, so I wait with great anticipation to see the team list looks like next Tuesday.

If it is more of the same then it's a - from me.