What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2024

Tigerm

Coach
The following clubs have major injury problems to key players:
The Broncos- Walsh- fractured cheek
The Panthers- Cleary- hamstring
The Eels- Moses- possible broken foot
The Sharks- Hynes- shattered ego

Such a shame.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
IMG_0720.jpeg
The VB Hard Earned award is back for 2024 with the NRL’s hardest-working players once again being recognised for their individual efforts in each match of this year's Telstra Premiership.
——————
Harry must have had a great match, to oust Api?
Though well done to Stefano and Galvin.
I don’t drink VB hahaha

Nutz

Bench
View attachment 85666
The VB Hard Earned award is back for 2024 with the NRL’s hardest-working players once again being recognised for their individual efforts in each match of this year's Telstra Premiership.
——————
I don’t drink VB hahaha
Mate this is why stats are flawed. I had Grant in my fantasy coach and he did stuff all imo.
Api was worthy of 70+ imo.
The thing about Api is it can take a team a couple of seasons to adjust to his style.... that's starting now!
Often there are 3 in a tackle, run metres can be mixed up with unopposed, stats are often flawed.
Olam was enormous to our success. What he does is make opposing backs pay for their mistakes which puts doubt in their minds.

Tigerm

Coach
Mate this is why stats are flawed. I had Grant in my fantasy coach and he did stuff all imo.
Api was worthy of 70+ imo.
The thing about Api is it can take a team a couple of seasons to adjust to his style.... that's starting now!
Often there are 3 in a tackle, run metres can be mixed up with unopposed, stats are often flawed.
Olam was enormous to our success. What he does is make opposing backs pay for their mistakes which puts doubt in their minds.
I don't really watch much of other games, but Api's game, IMO was one of the great captain knocks I can recall.
He was in everything. I would have liked cover for him, this game, but with Simpkin out, we don't really have anyone to cover.
It's a pity we didn't have Luai here this year, isn't it, he would know his game very well?

Nutz

Bench
I don't really watch much of other games, but Api's game, IMO was one of the great captain knocks I can recall.
He was in everything. I would have liked cover for him, this game, but with Simpkin out, we don't really have anyone to cover.
It's a pity we didn't have Luai here this year, isn't it, he would know his game very well?
Luia will play off Api's guile and adhoc style.

Nutz

Bench
View attachment 85666
——————
I don’t drink VB hahaha
To add to the stats comment I made earlier I really feal that the people doing match summaries often must be watching a different game.
In the last KOE game against Newtown our website said Matamua had a great game...really?
The stats didn't reflect his game. They also didn't mention his lazy arm grab that let in the match winning try.
They also said that Solomon Alaimalo had a great game...really.
Solomon has a knee injury that he picked up in his first game and he hobbled around the park for most of the game. He was always well behind the play favouring the knee.
I don't think he's going to live up to my hopes of him unless he has a miraculous recovery. He has only a 12mth contract and his development/handling by the club seems way off the mark for him to show his talent.... dissapointing.
Lobb and Latu Fainu however were standouts.
Stats are a guide and often are way off the mark.

Das Hassler

Bench
Really hoping we can get the whole of the '24 season out of Sezer...he's just what we needed right this moment...I'm actually far happier that we have him this year than Luia...we really need his steady hand ...and foot ...at half with so much else going on with the team...not to mention what Benji already has on his plate...Api and Aiden are perfect for this season
JMO

Tigerm

Coach
Just a thought on Galvin, he seems entrenched in the 6 jersey (can't see anyone taking it off him atm), does the club pay him extra now or do they keep him on the same money he was?

Tigerm

Coach
Fox NRL twitter

A lot of clarity’: Sezer reveals key to ‘relaxed’ Benji’s Tigers rebuild as new standards set​

Wests Tigers halfback Aidan Sezer has lifted the lid on Benji Marshall’s approach to rebuilding the club from the lows of back-to-back wooden spoons.

The Tigers are coming off their best performance in recent memory in a 32-6 demolition of the Sharks to hand Marshall his maiden win as an NRL coach.

However, the club is not going to rest on its laurels and Sezer believes the early season win has now set the blueprint for what they can achieve in 2024.

It was good to get that first win early on in the season,” Sezer told SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“We have most certainly been struggling at the start of the season to bank those early wins.

“It’s good that we can now lay that platform and set the standard for the year to come. We just kept our game plan really basic.

“Being back at Leichhardt Oval was certainly a special occasion. It’s something that I’ll definitely remember.”

Sezer revealed Marshall and the players were disappointed with their application and execution in their Round 1 loss to the Raiders.

However, rather than rant and rave, Sezer believes Marshall’s best attribute is simplifying the roles for his players to allow them to maximise their individual talents.

“The review of our first game didn’t make for pretty viewing and we really let ourselves down in that game against Canberra,” Sezer said.

“Benji has always been really relaxed with his approach and his delivery is simple with what he wants from the boys.

“As a team, we are stepping onto the field with a lot of clarity.

“Benji is awesome and we now know what we should look like on a week-to-week basis.”

The Tigers are a red-hot chance to claim back-to-back wins for the first time since Rounds 9 and 10 last season when they play Parramatta at CommBank Stadium on Easter Monday.

Nutz

Bench
Really hoping we can get the whole of the '24 season out of Sezer...he's just what we needed right this moment...I'm actually far happier that we have him this year than Luia...we really need his steady hand ...and foot ...at half with so much else going on with the team...not to mention what Benji already has on his plate...Api and Aiden are perfect for this season
JMO
I'm feeling the same way Das

Nutz

Bench
Just a thought on Galvin, he seems entrenched in the 6 jersey (can't see anyone taking it off him atm), does the club pay him extra now or do they keep him on the same money he was?
He's only just started this contract and probably still lives with his parents???
I would suggest the bean counters are hard at it to try and replace..dare I say it, our Labanese try scoring machine Alex Twal and players like him who are solid but offer little as far as keeping the points differential in the positive.
I think they will get rid of a few first graders/KOE cup players and with that money, they could buy an impact prop.
Once they've secured a marquee middle and possibly a strike centre to partner Olam, they would then consider topping up/resigning Lachlan Galvin and paying min wage for pathway debutantes and development players.
Then the cycle continues. Once those pathways/development players are ¾ into their contracts we pick the eyes out of those guys are secure them etc ect.
The problem with this pathway system is, to kick it off, some player is going to be paid overs to secure the coaches success but that puts a strain on the system.
We spent years getting out of cap pressure only to sign Luai at a crazy price....he better be worth it!

He's only just started this contract and probably still lives with his parents???
I would suggest the bean counters are hard at it to try and replace..dare I say it, our Labanese try scoring machine Alex Twal and players like him who are solid but offer little as far as keeping the points differential in the positive.
I think they will get rid of a few first graders/KOE cup players and with that money, they could buy an impact prop.
Once they've secured a marquee middle and possibly a strike centre to partner Olam, they would then consider topping up/resigning Lachlan Galvin and paying min wage for pathway debutantes and development players.
Then the cycle continues. Once those pathways/development players are ¾ into their contracts we pick the eyes out of those guys are secure them etc ect.
The problem with this pathway system is, to kick it off, some player is going to be paid overs to secure the coaches success but that puts a strain on the system.
We spent years getting out of cap pressure only to sign Luai at a crazy price....he better be worth it!
The answer is not to renew Adam Doeuhi. You can give Galvin some of that money and get Lomax with the rest.

Das Hassler

Bench
Just to mention it ..AlexTwal ( edited...called him David...it was late) is the only surviving squad member from as recently as the 2019 season...Madge's first. Add to that the bosses and board gone and Richo in charge , it's hard to figure where any residual losing culture should / could still fester?? Good theory anyway lol

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
I was reading a speech from an American NFL coach and the main point he made sums up our team pretty well.

"Everyone here is capable, but it's not what you're capable of, it's what you're willing to do" that will make you a better player.
----------------------
Unfortunately, we don't normally have too many players who are willing to do, what it takes?
IMO, Api is our only exception.

Tigerm

Coach
Interesting this seems wrong.
We play the Eels this Monday.

Then we play the Dolphins on Saturday in Brisbane at 7.25
Which means it’s a 5 day turnaround but we lose at least half a day to get there?
The eels play the Raiders on Sunday in Canberra at 6.15
Meaning they get a 6 day turnaround and could probably travel down Sunday morning, don’t know if they do?

I guess it’s not a huge problem, it would have been planned for, but it is tight and against us, especially if we have minor injuries that an extra day wouldn’t go astray.

Anyway, we have to beat them wherever and whenever we play.

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
I don’t want to be too hard on him, but does anyone think we’d have won these last 2 games, if Brooks was still our 7?

A few careers were destroyed, (players, coaches and management) by the clubs insistence on keeping the faith that he would deliver.

It seem obvious to me, what we have been missing for the last decade.

Nutz

Bench
Interesting this seems wrong.
We play the Eels this Monday.

Then we play the Dolphins on Saturday in Brisbane at 7.25
Which means it’s a 5 day turnaround but we lose at least half a day to get there?
The eels play the Raiders on Sunday in Canberra at 6.15
Meaning they get a 6 day turnaround and could probably travel down Sunday morning, don’t know if they do?

I guess it’s not a huge problem, it would have been planned for, but it is tight and against us, especially if we have minor injuries that an extra day wouldn’t go astray.

Anyway, we have to beat them wherever and whenever we play.
The only concern is injuries.
Apart from that sometimes a short turn around is good if your in form....take SOO players for example.
The downside is losing Galvin. The last I read is he's only facing a 2 week ban.
Two weeks would be good because we can beat the Dolphins at Suncorp.
We get 3x5 day turnarounds so getting this one early is good whilst we have most of our team available.

Nutz

Bench
The answer is not to renew Adam Doeuhi. You can give Galvin some of that money and get Lomax with the rest.
Galvin is still a baby. Can you imagine how good this lad will be with 50 NRL games under his belt.
In a way, I feel he is more important to the future of this club than Luai.
We must keep this guy for 2 more contacts eg 10yrs.
He's also potentially a future lock when he fills out do playing him at ½ doesn't make sense for me.
Next year
½ Luai
⅝ Galvin
C Olam
C Lomax
W Staines/To'a
Lobb/To'a
Bula
I know some don't like Lomax but you have to look at combinations and flexibility.
Olam and Lomax, wow!
Lomax can play every position on the field if necessary except dummy half and middle.
A centre should be able at the drop, cover fullback, wings, ⅝, lock etc.
Having said that I think the club is wanting Feledy to keep improving to be Olam's partner next year.