What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2025

Nutz

Bench
The diabolical ineptitude in defense has been my biggest bugbear.Year in year out this concord shitshow display zero ability intelligence or improvement in defense.Its a huge reason y they’ve collected 3 consecutive spoons & will b favourites for a 4peat.Its farcical that the coach was a noted pissweak defender who until
he played under SuperCoach WB never understood the importance of playing with discipline & grinding out wins.The team in many ways r a mirror image of the coach in that they r unwilling to earn wins with a strong work ethic & a take no prisoners attitude for the full 80 mins each wk.
Well at this stage I'm not seeing a new WT defensive culture for 2025.
One area we continually stuff up in is defending against expansive plays. Our wingers are often sucked inwards leaving opposing winger a free run to the line. Noffa was a classic at this.
Last week we saw the same thing happen with Skelton.
If we don’t coach against this happening then he'll just carry on the tradition.
Defense, it should be priority Nº1 for 2025 regardless who is in the squad.

Das Hassler

Bench
Good way of looking at it Fordy and I agree.
Is the coach assistant coach an upgrade...lose Roɓie gain Hodgo? (that's if rumours are true)
It's quiet clear that our biggest downfall this year was in Defense. Have you got faith in Morris. Was he partly to blame and should he be replaced?
I think his job is safe but something has to change with our defense strategy.

The way I'm looking at it is it was more due to injuries and suspensions.... we wouldn't have had three consecutive games with the same combination of outside backs (reasons.. not excuses) thus there has never been enough time through most of this season for any bankable defensive combinations to be locked into muscle memory. We started out after training through the preseason with a couple of dominant wins then bam ...the sin bins...suspensions and multi game injuries took over and it became week to week trial and error(s) Of course other clubs handle it but when we give 13 or 14 players their nrl debut they can only bring talent...not experience

Nutz

Bench
The way I'm looking at it is it was more due to injuries and suspensions.... we wouldn't have had three consecutive games with the same combination of outside backs (reasons.. not excuses) thus there has never been enough time through most of this season for any bankable defensive combinations to be locked into muscle memory. We started out after training through the preseason with a couple of dominant wins then bam ...the sin bins...suspensions and multi game injuries took over and it became week to week trial and error(s) Of course other clubs handle it but when we give 13 or 14 players their nrl debut they can only bring talent...not experience
I see it this way...there's more sand on Fraser Island than on Bondi Beach :)

Seriously, your point highlights the need for a club culture. Every player from NRL down to Matts need to know how and why it's done in a particular way so when the debuted or are called up due injuries they fit straight in. Our NRL coaches shouldn't have to teach but are there to reinforce the standard. Look at Melbourne, they always play the same Storm way.