What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season '22

Iamback

Coach
By far the best football we played in 2021 included Staines on the wing, was defending great, and scoring when he had a centre who passed. People have written him off but I think he'll prove them wrong

I haven't written him off. Like any young guy coming in there is more development to do. He is one that missed no lower grades end of last season especially

Munky

Coach
By far the best football we played in 2021 included Staines on the wing, was defending great, and scoring when he had a centre who passed. People have written him off but I think he'll prove them wrong

Staines wrote himself off in the second Melbourne game refusing to do any dirty work.

Weird because he was excellent in the first one.

Hopefully a little bulk and some set plays take him to the next level this season.

Iamback

Coach
Staines wrote himself off in the second Melbourne game refusing to do any dirty work.

Hopefully a little bulk and some set plays take him to the next level this season.

That is it. With no reserve grade it was impossible to work his way back into the side.
Different beast this year though

Original Name

Juniors
Has Charles put on any weight yet?
He has a bit but how relent is strength to being a fullback compared to wing though? Staines is a fair bit bigger than Papenhauzen. The problem is the job of wingers is essentially just being prop who doesn't make tackles and get 80% easy tries and 20% difficult ones. That's vastly different than fullbacks. There's a reason wingers and props got captain's challenges wrong the most. Meat head positions aren't really suited to Staines no matter how strength conditioning he does and that was reflected last year.

To an extent I agree but there's more complicated than purely yardage. Every time Staines took the ball up he got thrashed and got a slow play the ball. If To'o or someone takes a good play the ball on zero tackle and Staines gets a slow play the ball on tackle one then To'o great work is completely negated and Melbourne control the ruck and meterage for the rest of the set.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Any thoughts on trial teams?

Personally I reckon we give the youngsters and new faces a run along with a few of the first 17 to brush off the cobwebs..
For the Sharks game, I think it would be handy to get a look at SOS, Chris Smith, Mavrik, Turuva, Tay May (with more minutes) and Kurt Falls. Also would like to see if Mitch has worked on any ball-playing skills over the break.

For the Eels game, go in with more of a first 17 for match fitness..

Good minutes for Spencer would be a start.

Girds89

Bench
Can still see lindsay smith and maverick have A LOT of filling out to do. Smith in particular is still very lanky. I thought he may have added a bit more muscle over the off season.

Turuva is just built like a tank. Can see photos of him playing schoolboys for pats and he was a tank at 17 too. I think he will be something special if he keeps hes head down. Definitely has that former storm player and now wallabies star, marika koribete style and build to him.

snickers007

Juniors
Can still see lindsay smith and maverick have A LOT of filling out to do. Smith in particular is still very lanky. I thought he may have added a bit more muscle over the off season.

Turuva is just built like a tank. Can see photos of him playing schoolboys for pats and he was a tank at 17 too. I think he will be something special if he keeps hes head down. Definitely has that former storm player and now wallabies star, marika koribete style and build to him.

Agree 100% about Smith & Geyer. Tom Jenkins looks bigger than both and he's a Centre/Wing

Iamback

Coach
Agree 100% about Smith & Geyer. Tom Jenkins looks bigger than both and he's a Centre/Wing

That is why Jenkins has a huge ceiling
Can play left and right.
would be the fastest in the club and huge.

Smith needs to get moved to an edge

Iamback

Coach
That is a big, lanky unit.

He also like Ryley Smith was highly regarded in cricket. So has genuine athletic skill.

Assuming Leinu continues to develop then our need for a middle drops. If we can turn Smith or Hopgood into a edge then that sets us up well with the cap space from Kiks

Girds89

Bench
That is why Jenkins has a huge ceiling
Can play left and right.
would be the fastest in the club and huge.

Smith needs to get moved to an edge

Staines easily has jenkins covered.
Jenkins is similar to blake in speed imo. Quite quick over a 100 but certainly not explosive. Staines, Luai or tago id say would be close to the quickest over 10 to 20m. Id almost back tago over 20m. He definitley is a smokey for his speed and has alot of explosive power.

Photos can be decieving. Theres no doubt geyer and smith are considerably bigger than jenkins. They just have filled out yet where he has.

Jenkins would probably be 96 to 98kgs.

Smith is about 107 but probably needs to get to 112 to 115 for his height.

Geyer is maybe a 105 but ideally needs to get to aboyt 110-112 for his height i think. I wouldnt consider this too big for either of them given their height and adding 6 to 7 kgs of muscke each will just help with their longevity and copping with the riggers of week in week out nrl against fully developed forwards.