What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See ya Slater

Sphagnum

Coach
Looks like I'm alone in this, but I genuinely dont think the intent of banning the shoulder charge was to prevent collisions like this.

The best option if you're Billy Slater is to collide with the player who is close to the sideline and take him out in a quick and effective manner. Billy did that and also braces his arm to push the winger out after the collision.

Unfortunately by the letter of the law it's a shoulder charge, but the rules have not incorporated common sense
Everyone agrees it's a f**ken stupid rule but rules are rules.

The NRL made its bed, now watch then torch it.

t-ba

Post Whore
Players to miss a grand final through suspension
1969 — Arthur Beetson (Balmain)...
...2005 — Carl Webb (Cowboys)
2008 — Cameron Smith (Storm)
2014 – Issac Luke (Rabbitohs)
2018 — Billy Slater (Storm)

94f.png

Tommy Smith

Referee
According to commentators he can't be suspended because everyone wants him to play next week.

Well i want latrell and napa to play tomorrow.
It's funny how we didn't hear the same narrative for Latrell last week.

"Everyone wants to see him play; let him off".

All I heard was that we need to stamp crushers out of the game and he must be suspended.

Which btw was true.

But it ain't the line they're using for Slater...

Johns Magic

Referee
It was fine. Zero malice and couldn't make a regulation tackle in that situation without risking his neck. Will be cleared and should be.

Last Week

Bench
It's funny how we didn't hear the same narrative for Latrell last week.

"Everyone wants to see him play; let him off".

All I heard was that we need to stamp crushers out of the game and he must be suspended.

Which btw was true.

But it ain't the line they're using for Slater...

Fair comment, but, banning the shoulder charge in the first place was a knee jerk reaction. That's why there's disparity in the two reactions.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Textbook shoulder charge from a noted grub. Should be cited, but he'll magically get off. Don't go changin, NRL geniuss

ram raid

Bench
I said a few weeks ago they will sack him soon for constantly going against the rest with his pesky “logic”. He is turning out too good a commentator

He is. I for one am very surprised and even disconcerted because there was a time when I could have never imagined that I would enjoy Ennis in any capacity.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fair comment, but, banning the shoulder charge in the first place was a knee jerk reaction. That's why there's disparity in the two reactions.
The shoulder charge literally killed a bloke, though.

And only by some miracle did Dean Young not die or suffer brain damage when GI hit him with the worst one I've ever seen.

So there's just as much reason to stamp out the shoulder charge as there is the crusher.

Valheru

Coach
Let's be honest it wasn't even a penalty

Clear penalty and suspension according to the rules. I don't necessarily agree with the rules but that is irrelevant. If he isn't suspended we may as well disband the MRP

Haffa

I’m sure there is a technicality here that can be exploited that has been used before. The fact that they are facing the same way makes it a shoulder bump not a shoulder charge
Should get the same punishment as Taumalolo. Don’t think he’s got as many carryover points as Taumalolo had but that tackle was worse. Anything less than 2 weeks is a joke

Tommy Smith

Referee
It was fine. Zero malice and couldn't make a regulation tackle in that situation without risking his neck. Will be cleared and should be.
Deep down I actually think this is spot on; but I'm a biased, flawed human so I'm gonna roll with the lynch mob and say he should be suspended.

But then that's mainly because I'm a Roosters fan.

Of course if Souths win I fully support the justifiable exoneration and exaltation of Billy Slater.