What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See you tonight Willie

Penance

Juniors
0,5001,5440691,00.jpg

See you tonight Willie

By Dean Ritchie
April 06, 2007 They have thrilled the NRL in winning three games but South Sydney prop Roy Asotasi admits tonight the Rabbitohs meet the benchmark of tough - the Bulldogs.
Asotasi, a former premiership-winning Bulldog, yesterday admitted he was nervous about squaring up against the hitmen of his old colours in Sonny Bill Williams, Reni Maitua and Willie Mason when Souths meet the Dogs at Telstra Stadium.
But on a day Jason Taylor claimed his side would not be intimidated by the ferocious Bulldogs, Asotasi added he couldn't wait to test himself against Mason and co.
"Let's get the ball rolling. May the best team win," Asotasi said.
"Willie is a great competitor and he'll be out there doing his best.
"He's sporting my number 10 jumper from last year.
"Willie's probably been their best for the first three games.
"If we stop him, then that will go a long way to us winning.
"I'm in different colours now and will be doing my best for Souths."
Asotasi, David Kidwell, David Fa'alogo and Peter Cusack form a powerful Souths pack against the aggressive Bulldogs forwards.
"It will be a real test for us. The Bulldogs are the benchmark," Asotasi said. "We want to test ourselves against their forwards. It will be a good confrontation.
"I know how good the Bulldogs are, I played there for a couple of years."
Souths finished their preparations with a 4pm training session yesterday at Telstra Stadium.Asotasi admitted he was nervous lining up against his former club.
"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't," he said. "But it is always exciting to play against your former club.
"I consider them one of the best packs. David Kidwell and the rest of us will test ourselves against them."
Taylor said his side had Test and grand final experience and would not be intimidated by the Bulldogs.
"That is a fair point," Taylor said. "If we'd had a team of youngsters who had not played in such a big game, then that might be a factor.
"But we've got guys who have played Test matches.
"Peter Cusack has played in a grand final. Shannon Hegarty has played for Australia and in a grand final. We have experience right across the team.
"There aren't too many who haven't been there in such a match. These will be the guys I look to to make sure we maintain our control."
It has been nearly five years since Souths played a Friday TV match.
"When I was at Penrith there was a time when we hadn't played a Friday night match in so long," said Souths chief executive Shane Richardson. "When we did get one there was a real buzz around the joint. It's like 'we've arrived'."
Asked about how his players felt about playing Friday night football, Taylor said: "This is why you play the game. The next step down from a semi-final is a Friday night game."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21511519-23214,00.html

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hey, Soufs.

You have a bandwagon.

We have a fanbase.

See you at Telstra.

IT'S ON.

Timmah

Staff member
Forward pack only he means.

TBH I think it's lost it's shine. If Shrek were playing, 100%. But I think we may find that Souths will become the new benchmark.

That said - benchmarks CAN be beaten :)

Timmah

Staff member
Saints don't play either til later in the year... :lol:

Glenn

First Grade
The crap some Souths fans have been going on with, actually finds me hoping the Dogs win and win easily tonight.:shock:

Timmah

Staff member
The amount of neutral fans willing Soufs on is kinda pathetic too :lol:

Shorty

Staff member
As opposed to Souths losing all the time again and providing less entertaining footy?

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Dodger said:
Hey, Soufs.

You have a bandwagon.

We have a fanbase.

See you at Telstra.

IT'S ON.

That's pretty disrespectful right there. we have a bandwagon eh. So you base that presumption on the fact on the few that have jumped on and because of the media jumping on. (as per the media it's simple Souths sells papers- almost everytime we win we are front page news. scandals also sell papers that's why the dogs have been in the news before. Maybe you are jealous that we are getting headlines for good things like winning instead of what the dogs usually get headlines for)

The above quote to me shows that you believe all Souths fans are fairweather fans and only jump on board when they are winning- well if it is ok for you to base that remark on a minority than it should be alright for me to make up my own remark about a minority of your fans- Now which ones could I possibly be thinking about??

But no I won't stoop to that level so instead, see you at Telstra and may the better team win.

Ice777

Bench
Dodger said:

Please explain? Would it be pathetic if they were all going for the Dogs instead? Legitimate question Timmah.

Oh and go Soufs!!! :lol:

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Dodger said:

Maybe it's because of the arrogance of some of the Dogs players and fans also. It's quite simple. People have teams they like (for me that is Cowboys, Storm, Penrith and suprisingly the Dogs- Ilike that they are a family club and will not forget that they supported Souths when we were out of the comp) and ones they don't (for me that is Roosters, Broncos, Knights.) They usually have one they love way more than any other for me that is Souths.

Glory Glory to South Sydney!

Shorty

Staff member
I just don't think there's anything wrong with a team that has struggled for a long time is finally doing well.
And it has been a long time.

Timmah

Staff member
Jack Off said:
That's pretty disrespectful right there. we have a bandwagon eh. So you base that presumption on the fact on the few that have jumped on and because of the media jumping on. (as per the media it's simple Souths sells papers- almost everytime we win we are front page news. scandals also sell papers that's why the dogs have been in the news before. Maybe you are jealous that we are getting headlines for good things like winning instead of what the dogs usually get headlines for)

The above quote to me shows that you believe all Souths fans are fairweather fans and only jump on board when they are winning- well if it is ok for you to base that remark on a minority than it should be alright for me to make up my own remark about a minority of your fans- Now which ones could I possibly be thinking about??

But no I won't stoop to that level so instead, see you at Telstra and may the better team win.

LMAO! You inferred that, not me.
I know plenty of Soufs fans that are diehards and have been there... they can scream "we were there when we were sh*t". I don't doubt there are quite a few, and in no way am I saying I believe all Soufs fans are 'fairweather' (particularly ones on this forum... I doubt many fans on this forum of any club are fairweather)...

But when it comes to a 'bulky fan base' - we've had ours turn up week-in, week-out, home or away for years. Watch the north-eastern bowl of Telstra tonight - it will be a massive sea of blue and white. Telstra is our home ground too and we'll make our presence known.

Go ahead and make your "your fans are terrorists" remarks all you like - I'm not one, and I doubt anyone left in our supporter base is. The problems have been weeded out.

Absolutely may the best team win, and may the steadier fan base cheer louder :)

Latest posts