What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selectors Name Australian Squad

Do You Like The Looks Of The Team

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gaterooze

Bench
Not one debutant, despite the former powerhouse teams struggling this season.

That's pathetic. The way the comp is this year, it was the perfect opportunity to throw the selection wide open and REWARD PLAYERS FOR PLAYING WELL.

The Kiwis have half their team ripped out by injury, so why must we take the "safe" option? This is exactly the time when we should be taking a gamble on some unproven (at rep level) players.

I'm usually okay with Aussie selections, barring one or two players each year, but this time I'm filthy with the entire team. Dreadful.

Having said that, I am primed to watch this game now -- if we win, great, but if we lose, then maybe the selectors will learn something from it!

Pierced Soul

First Grade
where is gasnier and barrett? surely they've done enough to warrant selection? If you're gonna pick o'meley and carrol then surely these two are just as deserving.

and where is Stu Kelly????

JJ

Immortal
The selectors were always going to largely stick with the players that thrashed GB in the tri-series, and you lot knew it so quit complaining...

Yes the likes of Wesser, Shifcocske, Orford, Smith and King were unlucky... But in reality Minichello and Kimmorley were (injury aside) always going to play, and Priddis/Wing ahead of Smith is fair... Matt King, IMO, deserved to be in the squad though...

borat

Bench
skeepe said:
borat said:
Azkatro said:
weasel said:
wtf is Matt King? :x

A person.

And it's a bit rich to suggest a team should suddenly magically have international players because they've won four games against mediocre opposition.

100% spot on.

With only 5 rounds played before selection of this squad the selectors were always going to go with experienced players who can perform at this level rather than inexperienced players showing good form in 5 club games.

Who would you prefer borat? An inexperienced test player who has been in scintillating form, or an experienced test player who has been below average at best all season?

I know who I'd choose, and it wouldn't be the experienced player.

And you would be wrong because Test football like Origin is a higher level altogether and your Raiders are yet to proove themselves. 4 games hardly turns them into Test quality. Correct me if I am wrong but every player in that 23 man squad has at least played Test or Origin football in the last 2 seasons (with the exception of Priddis who still is a rep player).

The Raiders need to perform at this level for the season, break into the origin squads and then will be taken seriously for the end of year rep games.

Foz

Bench
Seems to me when Bell and King did an execution on the Brisbane Centres a couple of weeks ago only 1 was really put to sleep.
Not only does it surprise me that they pick Berrigan but it amazes me one of King or Bell isn't in there.
Its not as if Bell and King have only had one good game either.
Bell for one has had a lot more games as a centre than Berrigan and has played better there as well.
Its not what you know is it?

lazza

Juniors
The selectors were always going to largely stick with the players that thrashed GB in the tri-series, and you lot knew it so quit complaining...

its still a stupid selection theory, cos it means once your in your in for life... just like a stupid club... once orford or matt king get a chance, they'll stay for good.. sooo stupid... i hate selectors.. picking players who have barely even played.

i mean, then when its their turn to get a chance, they might be unlucky and get injured or something... spastic if u ask me

gaterooze

Bench
Luke Bailey = based on this weekend, deserves a spot
Shaun Berrigan = way behind King and Bell
Tonie Carroll = one game back, and a Kiwi. Rubbish selection
Petero Civoniceva = not in great form, but he probably deserves it
Craig Fitzgibbon = always consistent, deserves it
Craig Gower = would have Orford in front of him
Nathan Hindmarsh = most deserving player picked by a long shot
Ben Kennedy = living on past glories
Brett Kimmorley = loathe as I am to admit it, rightly deserves it
Luke Lewis = playing okay, not great, but don't have a huge problem with his selection
Darren Lockyer = nuff said
Anthony Minichiello = NO WAY. Had a shocking game yesterday, in fact has been shocking all year. There are 3-4 other fullbacks WAY ahead of him at the moment
Mark O'Meley = INJURED, FFS
Steve Price = probably deserves it, just
Luke Priddis = well deserved, although Smith would be just as good
Luke Rooney = hasn't shown much this year
Andrew Ryan = out of form
Jason Ryles = before this weekend I would've said no way, but he was amazing against Manly
Matt Sing = retired
Billy Slater = deserves it, but not ahead of Wesser
Willie Tonga = HAS MUMPS, but even so doesn't deserve it on form
Trent Waterhouse = just about deserves it
Craig Wing = deserves a bench spot

That's 10 out of the 22 that should not be there.

I want to see new blood, dammit!

BJ

Juniors
it's a joke but always will be.. when was the last player picked on form not reputation.. or a coaches favourite?

Broncodroid

Juniors
I have not read all posts in this thread, though a couple of things to note from my view:

- No Matt King? Arguably the form centre of the competition has been left out of the 22 man squad! I have a hard time digesting that non selection.

- There was some early criticism in this thread of Luke Bailey, I ask why? I have seen all Dragons games this season and he is has been head and shoulders their best player and was simply awesome vs Manly on the w/e. IMO, I have him starting with Steven Price when we name the 17.

- The selection of Mark O'Meley is covering the selectors who have lost Shane Webcke. When fit, Shrek is IMO in the top 3 props in the game, if he comes back against the Roosters in 2004 form (he comes back from a spell in top shape) he could go straight back into the team. If he did, I have no argument though admittedly I did not have him in my 17.

- The BK selection answere my question from earlier in the week asking if he was now retired from rep footy. The selection of Matt Sing is a surprise, I did not consider him for the simple fact it was confirmed a week or so ago he was done with rep footy. If he is available, he replaces Rooney IMO.

My 17 from the 22 named would now read:

1 - Anthony Minichello
2 - Billy Slater
3 - Shaun Berrigan
4 - Willie Tonga
5 - Matt Sing

6 - Darren Lockyer (c)
7 - Brett Kimmorley

8 - Luke Bailey
9 - Luke Priddis
10 - Steve Price
11 - Nathan Hindmarsh
12 - Andrew Ryan
13 - Craig Fitzgibbon

14 - Craig Wing
15 - Ben Kennedy
16 - Jason Ryles/Mark O'Meley
17 - Petero Civoniceva

The argument for Wesser is not lost on me, though I cannot drop the proven and incumbent Anthony Minichello from the team. Yes, the option to move him to the wing is tempting, though you cannot leave out Matt Sing if he is available nor Billy Slater.

Both players will not let you down, though Minichello IMO is still the best fullback in the game.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Ignore the last part of my post, I only assumed the selectors would of named another form fullback into the 22 man squad i.e. Rhys Wesser. After a second look, he is not getting a look in for ANZAC day.

Big Mick

Referee
i reckon he is a shot.

NZ:

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Paul Whaitura
5. Matt Utai
6. Benji Marshall
7. Thomas Luelaui
8. Jason Cayless
9. Louis Anderson
10. Nathan Cayless
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Vinnie Anderson
13. Bronson Harrison

14. Roy Asotasi
15. Hutch Maiva
16. Sione Faumina
17. Dene Halatau

I got no idea who I've left out..... Thats what I could think of.

Big Mick David Kidwell???

Ok Start the Rant.

I feel sorry for Matt King and Matt Orford for not getting into a Test team that is full of Out of Form (minus a few who are deservent of this great role) player.

I thought getting in a First grade side was dersevred on the basis of form and yes the SoO is the same in some cases(ie Freddy Fittler in NSW) but the Australian Selectors don't see the form and they have rose coloured glasses.

If the team in First Grade is winning then the players in the first grade have more chance than the salad dweller that are down the bottom, FFS Australian Selectors that how it goes.

We have a Out of Form Coach with Out of Form Selectors for a year now

Time the Kiwis to win.

In the anzac day test, Although i am a aussie, I will be supporting the KIWI

FFS, IT IS NOT BASED ON FORM OF THE PREVIOUS AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL, IT IS THE FORM OF THE FIRST GRADE.

Rant Over

The Aussie team is a f**king joke.

maelgwnau

Juniors
Big Mick said:
i reckon he is a shot.

NZ:

1. Brent Webb
2. Francis Meli
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Paul Whaitura
5. Matt Utai
6. Benji Marshall
7. Thomas Luelaui
8. Jason Cayless
9. Louis Anderson
10. Nathan Cayless
11. Frank Pritchard
12. Vinnie Anderson
13. Bronson Harrison

14. Roy Asotasi
15. Hutch Maiva
16. Sione Faumina
17. Dene Halatau

I got no idea who I've left out..... Thats what I could think of.

Play Benji Off The Bench He isn't ready to be on for 80mins he hasen't done it for the tigers yet he can play 50mins but i woulden't give him more he could get injured again

skeepe

Immortal
Big Mick you left out Ruben Wiki as well, his suspension will be over by then and he should deservedly be named NZ captain.

Also, is Jamaal Lolesi a Kiwi or a Queenslander? I remember he was on the eligibility list the Maroons released a year or two ago. If he's a Kiwi, he could probably be useful in the back row or on the bench as a utility.

Latest posts