What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selectors Name Australian Squad

Do You Like The Looks Of The Team

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Razor

Coach
Carroll, Civo, Waterhouse don't deserve to be in the squad. King should be there ahead of Tonga though

Minichello should be the fullback
Lewis should be one wing
Berrigan should be one centre
Lockyer should be the 5/8th
Kimmorley should be half
Bailey and O'Meley should be the props
Priddis should be hooker if Buderus isn't back
Hindmarsh, Kennedy, Fitzgibbon should be backrowers

Ryles should be a bench player

The other winger, the other centre and the other 3 bench positions are touch and go.

oxenham

Juniors
That team is pathetic, Bailey, Berrigan, Carroll, Fitzgibbon, Lewis, Minichiello, O'Meley, Rooney, Ryles, Tonga and Wing ALL did not warrant selection I believe. I can't believe that Lewis and Rooney get picked when they have done nothing all season same with Minichiello and O'Meley (who has played 1 or 2 games). King, Bell, Smith and Wesser should all be in that squad. ](*,) :x

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
to quote wayne pearce the other night 'covell could just be the best winger ever'. peachey deserves to be in the squad, minichello is a cat. and stephens and gallen r the form forwards of the comp
Covell best winger ever? Not even the best Winger in his team. Peachy is well past his best, in fact he sucks.
Gallen on the other hand deserves a look in.

Deep breath everyone.........

In......and.......out......thats better.

Its obvious the selectors have gone with the current Test players that took part in the 2004 Tri Series. They have played well togeather, they'll know eachothers games.....its the safe option.

Ontop of that, they've thrown in a few players that will be handy to have in the squad should they pick up injuries.

I had a feeling this side would be VERY similar to the Tri Series team.

I wouldnt be surprised if the side that takes part in the Tri Series is VERY different from the one named today.

I also think its CLEARLY time for the coach to have no part in selecting the squad. What Berrigan done over the last year and a half?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
At least Johns wasnt picked on current form....

just cos a team is playing well doesnt mean the individuals are rep quality. I hardly think adam mogg or lincoln withers should be there...

Big Mick

Referee
Timbo said:
Just a question, do people think that the following team would have a claim to have players named in at least the preliminary squad? This team has/is:

-Defeated two pre-season title favourites
-The competitions top point scorer
-The only undefeated team in the competition
-The competition lead
-Several incredibly in form players

I'd say that team deserves a few players.

Do you know who it is? Of course you dont. BECAUSE ONCE AGAIN THE REP SELECTORS TOTALLY IGNORED CANBERRA!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Souths, Newcastle and a very poor Roosters and a very poor Dragons?

I don't see anything that warrants any raiders selections, at all.

Schif might be good, but Slater, Wesser, Bowen all in front of him.

skeepe

Immortal
Ladder position - Team - Players selected
1. Raiders - 0
2. Sharks - 1
3. Sea Eagles - 1
4. Tigers - 0
5. Storm - 1
6. Broncos - 4
7. Cowboys - 1
8. Warriors - 1
9. Panthers - 5
10. Rabbitohs - 0
11. Bulldogs - 3
12. Roosters - 3
13. Eels - 1
14. Dragons - 2
15. Knights - 0

14 players from the bottom 7 clubs, 9 players from the top 8. :evil:

m0j0

Bench
As for the Matt Sing thing:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/04/10/1113071856119.html

Sing to pipe up on Roos future
By Steve Mascord and Greg Prichard
April 11, 2005

Veteran winger Matt Sing won't tell Australian selectors whether he is available for next week's Test against New Zealand until a few hours before the squad is named today.

Peter Parr, football manager at Sing's club, North Queensland, said he had no idea what the 30-year-old would decide about his representative future.

ARL general manager Geoff Carr said: "We are going to find out in the morning. We spoke to the Cowboys and they asked us what the deadline was. We told them 9am so we expect a call from them sometime before that."

Parr will convey the decision to Carr this morning but said his guess on the issue was as good as anyone's. "I don't know what he's going to do," said Parr.

Since last year's Tri-Nations tour, the world champions have lost prop Shane Webcke and utility back Shaun Timmins to representative retirement.

Sing, the veteran of 13 Tests, said during the summer he wanted to concentrate on club duties and his family this year but recently had a change of heart.

There is also uncertainty over Manly back-rower Ben Kennedy, who had hinted at representative retirement. Asked if Kennedy was available, Carr replied: "He hasn't said he's not."

A 22-man squad for the Suncorp Stadium international on April 22 will be named today, with the list cut to 18 next Sunday. Sources say there will be only one halfback and the incumbent Brett Kimmorley is overwhelming favourite to beat Newcastle's Andrew Johns, Penrith's Craig Gower and Melbourne's Matt Orford to the post.

St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles is set to fill the role as Australia's new forward leader vacated by Webcke.

Ryles has developed as a terrific Test prop playing alongside Webcke, and now - at the age of 26 and with eight Test matches, several tours and five State of Origin games for NSW behind him - he is widely seen as the player who can lead the way up front for the rest of the decade.

It is well known that Australia coach Wayne Bennett is a fan of Ryles. Bennett, the Brisbane coach, had Ryles starting alongside Webcke during the early games in last year's Tri-Nations series. Ryles was forced to miss the latter stages of the tournament through injury.

Petero Civoniceva is among a group of other props - including Luke Bailey (St George Illawarra), Steve Price (New Zealand Warriors) and Joel Clinton (Penrith) - fighting for Test squad spots.

From the Australia side which took on the United States on November 30, centre Willie Tonga (mumps), hooker Danny Buderus (foot), forward Willie Mason (foot), prop Mark O'Meley (shoulder), centre Matt Cooper (cheekbone), Webcke and Timmins are unavailable.

New Zealand's problems are worse, with Sonny Bill Williams (ankle), Tony Puletua (pectoral muscle), Joe Galuvao (groin) and Brent Webb (back) all injured.

Penrith forward Frank Pritchard is an obvious choice to replace clubmates Puletua and Galuvao, but the Kiwis might be tempted to ask former All Black Brad Thorn, now back in league with Brisbane.

Thorn said yesterday he had no hope of being picked by Australia and had an increased emotional bond with his homeland since living there during his stint in rugby union. "It's a tough one but probably my priority, once again, would be to play Origin," he said when asked if he was interested in a Kiwi berth.

"I've got strong feelings for New Zealand ... You hear about that thing where Kiwis [internationals] would be able to play Origin - that would be the ultimate situation. But it's not that way, I've played eight Tests for Australia, so ..."

Asked what he would do if the Kiwis called, Thorn said: "I'd probably say no straight away so I didn't muck them around."

The New Zealand squad will be named tomorrow.

skeepe

Immortal
In that article m0j0, it states that both Tonga and O'Meley will be unavailable for the test.

To the selectors I say: WHY PICK THEM IN THE SQUAD IF YOU KNOW THEY AREN'T GOING TO PLAY?!?!?!?!?!

b&wdynamite

Juniors
It just goes to show that for the Aussie selectors it isn't about form - just about reputation - not just yours but your clubs as well.

I know it is always hard to that you show pick one player over another but looking at the ladder you have this:

1. Raiders - 0 players selected
2 Sharks - 1
3 Sea Eagles - 1
4 Wests Tigers - 0
5 Storm - 1
6 Broncos - 4
7 Cowboys - 1
8 Warriors - 1
9 Panthers - 5
10 Rabbitohs - 0
11 Bulldogs - 3
12 Roosters - 3
13 Eels - 1
14 Dragons - 2
15 Knights - 0

Maybe someone forgot to tell the selectors that the table ISN'T upside down and the likes of the Panthers, Dogs, Rorters and Dragons ARE really struggling.

Mind you I don't really mind too much - let them take the "stars" from the lower teams and have them try to back up - just helps to make the gap between us and them even bigger. :lol: :lol:

For mine it is just another example of the Raiders getting bent over a table by the NRL administration for mine - I can already hear my housemate harping on about that one!! :D

b&wdynamite

Juniors
It just goes to show that for the Aussie selectors it isn't about form - just about reputation - not just yours but your clubs as well.

I know it is always hard to that you show pick one player over another but looking at the ladder you have this:

1. Raiders - 0 players selected
2 Sharks - 1
3 Sea Eagles - 1
4 Wests Tigers - 0
5 Storm - 1
6 Broncos - 4
7 Cowboys - 1
8 Warriors - 1
9 Panthers - 5
10 Rabbitohs - 0
11 Bulldogs - 3
12 Roosters - 3
13 Eels - 1
14 Dragons - 2
15 Knights - 0

Maybe someone forgot to tell the selectors that the table ISN'T upside down and the likes of the Panthers, Dogs, Rorters and Dragons ARE really struggling.

Mind you I don't really mind too much - let them take the "stars" from the lower teams and have them try to back up - just helps to make the gap between us and them even bigger. :lol: :lol:

For mine it is just another example of the Raiders getting bent over a table by the NRL administration for mine - I can already hear my housemate harping on about that one!! :D

OVP

Coach
Id like to see Jason Smith at lock. I bet the Qld selectors think the same way too.

Parrasque

Juniors
If Slater made it over Wesser, could this suggest that Slater may be taking over the QLD fullback spot?

Edwahu

Bench
OVP said:
Id like to see Jason Smith at lock. I bet the Qld selectors think the same way too.

Id say if Lockyer is 5/8th then Carroll will be lock. I reckon if Smith keeps his form up they might think about moving Lockyer back to fullback though.

Latest posts