What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sell-Off...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Peter Holmes a Court reckons its a loan.

But I guess you have first ask why he is coming out and saying that.

According the article below it is in response to former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris saying Souths are worth $20 million:

Souths worth at least $20m: Morris
March 16, 2006 - 7:29PM

St George Illawarra's privatisation deal with a regional television network is proof South Sydney is worth at least $20 million, according to former Souths Juniors boss Henry Morris.

But the assertions were strenuously denied by Peter Holmes a Court, who along with Russell Crowe needs a 75 per cent share of the vote at an extraordinary general meeting on Sunday to secure their $3 million bid for the Rabbitohs.

WIN Corporation has announced it had purchased a quarter share in the Steelers Club for $6.5 million, which is struggling to pay back a loan of $8 million to its joint venture partner, the St George Leagues Club.

The financial boost, for which WIN will acquire 24 per cent of the joint venture, will see Wollongong maintain its quota of hosting half of the Dragons NRL matches at WIN Stadium each year and enable the Steelers Club to work towards financial viability.

Morris, who heads the anti-privatisation campaign, said the Dragons deal was further proof the Crowe-Holmes a Court bid for the Rabbitohs was too low.

"That $6.5 million shows we have been vindicated, I just can't believe it can be suggested 75 per cent of Souths could be sold for $3 million," Morris said.

"For the whole club, if St George is valued at about $20 million, or a little bit over, we'd certainly value it more than St George, or at the very least equal.
"Illawarra is a great club, but it doesn't have anywhere near the provisions and values our club has got.

"I know they meant well, but I have said from day one, and I have been belted from pillar to post for this, that $3 million is just not enough."

Holmes a Court, whose last fan information session is ironically at Wollongong, said Morris' comparisons of the deals were "misleading".

"Henry, come clean, admit you are attempting to mislead the members," Holmes a Court said.

"Today's 6.5 million investment is all debt that has to be repaid.

"It's all secured on Leagues Club assets, it is no fresh cash.

"Every cent of the $6.5 million is repayable, none of ours is. Ours goes to new facilities to players, theirs goes to repay debt to the St George Leagues Club.

"It simply shows Henry's brazen attempts to mislead members.

"It simply shows the `no' camp will stop at nothing, including misleading the people they should be leading."

After talks with Illawarra Steelers director Bob Millward, Rabbitohs chairman Nick Pappas also said comparisons between the deals were inappropriate.

"The deal is hardly comparable to ours and any comparisons are totally misconceived," he said.

© 2006 AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Sport/Souths-worth-at-least-20m-Morris/2006/03/16/1142098592981.html

OK, Bob Milward was just on 2KY.

He confirmed that this is a loan.. but one on VERY generous terms.

He went out of his way to imply that the Steelers will never have to pay back the loan.

It'd be nice if we could see the details of the deal, but I'm still of the opinion that this works out nicely for everyone involved.

Steelers get relief from their debt woes.
Saints Leagues gets about $6 million to spend on redevelopment.
Hopefully St. George Illawarra get two viable clubs to support it.
Saints get Australia's 8th richest man (and major media mogul - WIN owns 5% of Channel 10, about 2% of PBL and 40% of Channel 9 Perth in addition to the regional networks) supporting them.

Works for me.

The Preacher

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Another hand-out for the Steelers - will they ever pay their way??

I think they already do, Southern. The players we get from the area, IMO, more than covers their lack of cabbage.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Preacher said:
I think they already do, Southern. The players we get from the area, IMO, more than covers their lack of cabbage.

The ones like Barrett and Bailey who are leaving the club in their prime??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
HMS Cheesemaker said:
OK, Bob Milward was just on 2KY.

He confirmed that this is a loan.. but one on VERY generous terms.

He went out of his way to imply that the Steelers will never have to pay back the loan.
If they don't have to pay it back then its not a loan.

If they only have to pay it back should they become profitable, then are they not expecting to be profitable?

As you say, it would be great to see the detail.

There's another press release here: http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/news.asp?num=10001

WIN refer to it as being an investment.

The deal is conditional on the Dragons arranging a new license agreement with the NRL until 2011 and negotiating a similar term arrangement with Wollongong Sportsground Trust – allowing the St George Illawarra Dragons to play half of their home matches at WIN Stadium, plus a NRL pre-season fixture annually.http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/news.asp?num=10001
http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/news.asp?num=10001

The Preacher

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
The ones like Barrett and Bailey who are leaving the club in their prime??

There's more to Barrett leaving than the clause in his contract and/or the salary cap. I can't say anymore as I'm not willing to reveal the source, so therefore, I give no details. (Not from the so & so's sisters boyfriend either)

As far as Bull is concerned, there's a number of issues to be factored in before judgement is passed. Bull has given us great service and IMO does not deserve to be lambasted for accepting terms with the Titans.

If you check our roster, which I suspect you already have, Illa provide a lot of class and potential to our ranks.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Preacher said:
There's more to Barrett leaving than the clause in his contract and/or the salary cap. I can't say anymore as I'm not willing to reveal the source, so therefore, I give no details. (Not from the so & so's sisters boyfriend either)

As far as Bull is concerned, there's a number of issues to be factored in before judgement is passed. Bull has given us great service and IMO does not deserve to be lambasted for accepting terms with the Titans.

If you check our roster, which I suspect you already have, Illa provide a lot of class and potential to our ranks.

They provide a lot of work for the team doctor too ;-)

Steelers4eva

Juniors
The Preacher said:

Thanks for that Preacher, saved me writing it. But being Gong born and bred, I must say its fantastic to see a couple of debutants this weekend coming from the St G district. Be great to see some of these kids kick on and become established first graders. Would be great to have a truly joint venture where the talent is generated evenly from both areas.

Southernsaint

Staff member
In our most successful year, 1999, when we made the Grand Final there were 13 St George players in the squad compared to 12 from the Steelers. But the fact of the matter is that I don’t care how many juniors are in the team as long as it’s winning.

The second bail-out for the Steelers within a decade casts some shadows on the NRL’s future in the ‘Gong, IMO.

The Preacher

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
In our most successful year, 1999, when we made the Grand Final there were 13 St George players in the squad compared to 12 from the Steelers. But the fact of the matter is that I don’t care how many juniors are in the team as long as it’s winning.

The second bail-out for the Steelers within a decade casts some shadows on the NRL’s future in the ‘Gong, IMO.

I don't think we should talk too much abuot bailing out others. We did loan the scum money at one stage when they were going down the gurgler. Don't know if they ever payed that back either.
Probably why Gow had to meet Beathy that night over dinner. :lol:

Willow said:
If they don't have to pay it back then its not a loan.

If they only have to pay it back should they become profitable, then are they not expecting to be profitable?

As you say, it would be great to see the detail.

There's another press release here: http://www.jubileeavenue.com.au/news.asp?num=10001

WIN refer to it as being an investment.

The deal is conditional on the Dragons arranging a new license agreement with the NRL until 2011 and negotiating a similar term arrangement with Wollongong Sportsground Trust – allowing the St George Illawarra Dragons to play half of their home matches at WIN Stadium, plus a NRL pre-season fixture annually.

Been gathering info on it today and it's what is apparently called a soft loan. Steelers never have to pay it back so long as they keep the terms of the agreement - I.e. 50% of games at WIN Stadium.

Also, today Bobby Steeler on 2KY and the Peter Newall on 97.3 ABC Illawarra both said that the deal isn't for 24% of St. George Illawarra. It is apparently 24% of the Steelers' stake in St. George Illawarra. I.e. 12%. Although I've not seen this anywhere else in the media.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Been gathering info on it today and it's what is apparently called a soft loan. Steelers never have to pay it back so long as they keep the terms of the agreement - I.e. 50% of games at WIN Stadium.

Also, today Bobby Steeler on 2KY and the Peter Newall on 97.3 ABC Illawarra both said that the deal isn't for 24% of St. George Illawarra. It is apparently 24% of the Steelers' stake in St. George Illawarra. I.e. 12%. Although I've not seen this anywhere else in the media.

About as helpful to the cause of RL in Wollongong as Morris and Piggins are to the bunnies. If not for the mismanagement of Booby and Co during the 90's the Illawarra would probably still have its own team in the big league. That useless f**kin dump across the road from WIN Stadium is just a money dump (which by the way isn't big enough to swing a dead cat in). They should do themselves a favour and bulldoze the sh*thole and build a multistorey carpark, at least it would make a profit!

From the press release that Willow linked to:

Mr Gordon said that besides providing the funding, which will be used solely to discharge the majority of the Steelers debt to St George Leagues Club; WIN Corporation will also receive 24 per cent of the Steelers share in the joint venture.

That reads to me as if WIN only have 12% of the JV.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If it is $6.5 million for 12%, has the total JV value just escalated to around $54 million? Doesn't sound right to me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
HMS Cheesemaker said:
Well I always thought the 50% was a gimme - its is the original JV agreement after all. Wollongong has never been shafted on that. Kogarah on the other hand...

btw, they also want one Wollongong pre-season match every year.

Also in the agreement is that the JV must remain intact with an NRL license until 2011 - Presumably 2011 is the sunset clause. Or will Illawarra have to pay it back in 2011?

Who knows?

Speculation being the inevitable result of secret meetings and keeping people in the dark.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dragons and Wollongong Trust Reach Long-Term Agreement
Written by: Dragons media
17/03/2006

The Wollongong Sportsground Trust and the St George Illawarra Dragons today announced an extension to the Venue Hiring Agreement for WIN Stadium.

The Dragons and the Trust had formally only completed a one year agreement for 2006 due to a number of critical issues some of which include:
- the ongoing viability of the Illawarra Steelers
- the possibility of further development of WIN Stadium, in particular the Western Grandstand
- the determination of the full impact of the NSW Government’s Poker Machine Tax on both St George and the Illawarra Steelers Licensed Clubs.

With the recent announcement of the significant financial commitment of WIN Corporation, the Dragons have now been able to confirm a longer term Venue Hire Agreement with the Wollongong Sportsground Trust.

In essence, the one year deal for 2006 was formulated so as to provide a sound commercial basis for the future, this agreement has now been extended for a further five years, with a commitment to play six or on average 50 per cent of the Dragons home games plus a NRL Trial at WIN Stadium each year.

The Wollongong Sportsground Trust and the Dragons were both very pleased to be able to communicate with Dragons supporters and the community generally about elite rugby league having a long-term future at WIN Stadium.

Chairman of the Wollongong Sportsground Trust Mr Chris Christodolou welcomed the confirmation of the extension of the agreement with the Dragons.

“I am really happy for Dragons fans and the people of Wollongong and the Illawarra generally,” said
Christodolou.

“I am very also pleased for the Wollongong Trust and the NSW Government as this
outstanding community asset, WIN Stadium, can be confirmed as the long-term home of a national sporting icon … the mighty Dragons”.

Chief Executive Officer of the St George Illawarra Dragons Mr Peter Doust reinforced how the Dragons
regional presence, at both Oki Jubilee and WIN Stadium was a very important business strategy of the
Dragons.

“The commercial terms of this five year extension are sound however, the Trust and the Dragons have also agreed that it is imperative ongoing improvements to Corporate, Media and Player facilities occur over time,” said Doust.

“The Dragons need to continue to grow their revenue yield and keep pace with appropriate standards of facilities going forward”.

http://dragons.leagueunlimited.com/news.asp?num=10007