What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Semi Final week 2 Vs Brisbane

GongPanther

Referee
Just watching this match now. The two main things I notice, firstly the Queensland commentators are horrendously biased (the Rex Mossop call would have been preferable) and secondly Wally Lewis has not changed a bit in 27 years. Even then, he could talk for a minute solid without actually saying a thing. I've no idea how he has managed to sustain a career in media all this time.
I don't mind Wal.His voicing is not one of those that commands to be heard,unlike the other egotists on Nine.

Frankus

Juniors
I'm on the fence with Moylan. If he is 100% fit then he should play otherwise let the guys that won on the weekend do us proud

We can't beat Melbourne without Moylan. We can afford to only have 3 forwards on the bench + May. Our forwards have the easiest job in the NRL with the way Sauce/DWZ and Edwards carry them

franklin2323

Immortal
This. Use Brisbane as his warm up, go to Melbourne with a fully fit team, Profit.

It's why I'd have Moylan on the bench here. Needs gametime for Storm but not sure he has the miles in his legs for the full 80. 50 or 60mins either side of halftime is a good warmup for him.

noforwardpass

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bility-for-broncos-final-20170911-gyf58y.html

Penrith won't play Matt Moylan in Friday's do-or-die semi-final against Brisbane unless the skipper is given the all-clear following his counselling appointment later in the week.

Moylan's availability for the clash against the Broncos isn't a football selection issue, with the decision to be left in the hands of the medical experts the 26-year-old will see this week.

Penrith have reiterated their main concern is the health and wellbeing of the five-eighth and won't be rushing him back in a bid to keep their season alive.

However there is still a slim chance he will line up against Wayne Bennett's men in the second week of the finals series at Suncorp Stadium on Friday night.

Given the NRL's rules around the naming of the squads, the Panthers will have to include Moylan in their team on Tuesday afternoon to avoid having to seek a last-minute exemption from the governing body.

Fairfax Media understands the NRL is unlikely to grant Penrith the exemption if he is not named in the Panthers' 21-man squad on Tuesday afternoon.

As of Monday night, the Panthers hadn't decided whether they would name Moylan in the 21-man list they are required to submit to the NRL on Tuesday afternoon.

NRL rules state players outside the 21-man squad named on Tuesday are unable to play that weekend, however there are exceptions to the rule and given the sensitivity surrounding the 26-year-old's state of mind, it will be assessed on its merit.

As of Monday night, the Panthers hadn't approached the NRL about a potential exemption.

The match will be of particular significance to Penrith coach Anthony Griffin, who returns home to Brisbane to square off against the club that dumped him and the coach that took his job.

While his players know there'll be added incentive to get the job done given his connection to the Broncos, they know Griffin won't get caught up in the occasion.

"Oh yeah, no doubt it will mean a lot to him going back up there, especially in the finals," Panthers prop James Tamou said.

"Hook is concentrating on us. He's a team person. He has shown how much he loves the Panthers. At the start of the year he suspended a couple of players for disciplinary reasons. It goes to show what type of team he wants to build. He wants to have that mentality in all his players. That show how much he cares for the club. He'll be concentrating on us and making sure we succeed.

"No doubt there's a lot of emotion there. Not only for him but for all of us. I don't think there's one person in this team ready to stop playing. We want to go up there and do the job and make sure we're still here next week. We really want to go up there and do our best but it's a tough ask. They're definitely a top-four side with class all over the field. We went up there earlier in the year and got done so it's going to be a tough ask."

Centre Dean Whare, who has been recalled to replace the injured Waqa Blake, said the Panthers would rely on Griffin's knowledge of the Broncos to help them gain an edge.

"I think he loves playing against Brisbane, especially up there," Whare said.

"They put a lot of tries on us up there earlier in the year and I think he's hungry to make sure that doesn't happen this time around. But he's pretty relaxed during the week. I think he has a good record against them. He knows them quite well. He must know their back-up plans or how they play. Hopefully we can use that this week."

The Panthers were left battered and bruised after a tough physical encounter against Manly in the opening week of the finals.

Compounding the toll on their body is the fact Brisbane will have an extra day to prepare for the match, however Whare insists the Panthers won't be disadvantaged by the six-day turnaround.

"I think those bumps go out the window this time of year once you go out on the field," Whare said.

"I don't think the turnaround is an issue. With all the recovery protocols and that kind of stuff, you can get back on the field within two or three days."

OldPanther

Coach
It's why I'd have Moylan on the bench here. Needs gametime for Storm but not sure he has the miles in his legs for the full 80. 50 or 60mins either side of halftime is a good warmup for him.

It could work with May's utility value. Who drops off the bench?

franklin2323

Immortal
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only time a Griffin coached side has lost to a Bennett coached side was our loss earlier this season?

Its probably a coincidence but i'll take a little confidence out of it.

Brisbane's forward pack is average, if our forwards can match it with them we should win, that being said Brisbane is not a team we can gift possession and field position, especially at suncorp.

Yep. We also have never lost a final too them so good omens

Kilkenny

Coach
Must undergo. No such thing as must in these matters. You can schedule your appointments when you want to in accordance with your needs and commitments. MUST!!!!! Sounds highly dubious to me.

Must undergo. No such thing as must in these matters. You can schedule your appointments when you want to in accordance with your needs and commitments. MUST!!!!! Sounds highly dubious to me.

I guess they could apply for an exemption to name him on Friday given the circumstances but only time will tell.

Kilkenny

Coach
Honesty it's BS. MUST do counselling may arise from your being on parole for a serious crime ie offences against kids. Matt has done nothing wrong. Any counselling he receives is entirely voluntary on his part. He can attend sessions if and when he feels like it.

yeah it did seem a bit weird how forceful it sounded, im guessing the counsellors had the say in advising him he needed it but i thought it would ultimately be his choice

franklin2323

Immortal
If the counsellors schedule the session for game day he must not be ready to play. Seems weird they wouldn't do it on Thurs or something

OldPanther

Coach
It could be forced if it's coming from the club. I'm not sure on the specifics but they'd have NRL backing with all the concern with player welfare these days.

Latest posts