What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setanta Sports US Coverage of the NRL

flamin

Juniors
http://nrl.com.au/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/7770/Default.aspx

Setanta Sports Rabbitohs media release

Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 10:06 AM
Following statements made by the South Sydney Club in relation to US telecasts of Rugby League matches, Setanta Sports have asked to have the following points clarified in regard to their US coverage:
  • From 25 rounds of games last season, Setanta Sports showed, on average, one live and two delayed games per round.
  • Setanta featured every one of the 16 teams in the NRL Premiership and covered a total of 91 games.
  • Souths were shown seven times during the season, twice live and five times delayed.
  • In addition, Setanta screened a weekly NRL 60-minute highlights show and a 30-minute preview show.
  • From the four weeks of “Finals” Setanta broadcast:
    Qualifying Finals – All four shown delayed (including Souths)
    Semi-Finals – Both delayed
    Preliminary Finals – one live & one delayed
    Grand Final – Live
Setanta broadcast all three State Of Origin games live.
These broadcasts were available throughout the USA.

Also, according to its website, Setanta broadcasts matches of the ESL, some live.

roopy

Referee
Fair enough.
I thought showing one game every four weeks must be wrong.
Why would you bother at all if that was all you were going to do?

tcc_dc

Juniors
As someone who has Setanta specifically for RL, here is my coutnerpoint to their "facts":

From 25 rounds of games last season, Setanta Sports showed, on average, one live and two delayed games per round.

Not true, there would be weekends (where you would get 0 games, and some weekends where you would get 8 games). The coverage was very incosistent.

In addition, Setanta screened a weekly NRL 60-minute highlights show and a 30-minute preview show.

If this was true, I only saw it a few times.

The same held true for the Super League and Challenge Cup. When and what it is on was very hard to determine. I know for the Super LEague, St. Helens was on more than any other.

The problem is that RL and Union for that matter will always be 2nd tier to soccer. Like this weekend, there does not seem to be any Super League games on tv.

tcc

brendothejet

First Grade
Okay take this from someone who until very recently was responsible for the footage going to setanta.

Every week setanta took a feed from FOX Sports australia directly after the airing of NRL teams and NRL scoreboard from Sydney to the US. They did the same for A league highlights shows.

They did have the 2 weekly shows i can guarantee that much.

scrteening them, well i'm not in the USA so i can't say. i don't know why they would have booked time on the satelittes if they weren't going to show it.

Sonic Star

Juniors
I got this from a Australian who lives in America.

OK! I live in the USA.
I subscribed to Setanta specifically to watch Souths.
I have Tivo and record all games.
Only one Souths game was shown in 2007.
It may have been replayed 7 times but it was only one game.

The number of games they show and when they show them appears to be governed by other sports. The NRL is nowhere near the top of the totem pole, though generally it's two to three games a week. Which considering it's a 24/7 channel isn't much.
This link shows the sports they cover : http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/MoreInformationUS.aspx
And here's a link to their schedules : http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/TVSch....lSchedules.aspx

Chicago Saints

Juniors
It's the same with Super League. Once the summer kicks in and the RU and Soccer is done, Friday afternoon's are Super League. Unfortunatley before June and July it seems to get bumped in favor of Premeirship Rugby/Heineken Cup. bv

Sonic Star said:
I got this from a Australian who lives in America.

OK! I live in the USA.
I subscribed to Setanta specifically to watch Souths.
I have Tivo and record all games.
Only one Souths game was shown in 2007.
It may have been replayed 7 times but it was only one game.

The number of games they show and when they show them appears to be governed by other sports. The NRL is nowhere near the top of the totem pole, though generally it's two to three games a week. Which considering it's a 24/7 channel isn't much.
This link shows the sports they cover : http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/MoreInformationUS.aspx
And here's a link to their schedules : http://www.setantanorthamerica.com/TVSch....lSchedules.aspx

Fairfax Eagles

Juniors
FYI - Upcoming Setanta (US) rugby league scheudule:

Sunday 2/17, 4:30 am (est): Bradford vs. Huddersfield (delay)
Sunday 2/17, 6:00 pm (est): St. Helens vs. Warrington (delay)
Friday 2/22, 3:00 pm (est): Bradford vs. St. Helens (live)

aarondoyle

Juniors
Fairfax Eagles said:
FYI - Upcoming Setanta (US) rugby league scheudule:

Sunday 2/17, 4:30 am (est): Bradford vs. Huddersfield (delay)
Sunday 2/17, 6:00 pm (est): St. Helens vs. Warrington (delay)
Friday 2/22, 3:00 pm (est): Bradford vs. St. Helens (live)

That's some good times. I hope they rate well. Maybe Sentata shoudl be advertising the hell out of them, linking them to the Leed vs Rabbitohs game.

Latest posts