What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seven to tackle Nine

The Colonel

Immortal
Given the fact that Seven always cracks it when they don't get their own way only highlights the fact that they should never be allowed the FTA rights for sporting events. They have scrubbed Union altogether so what happens if Foxtel don't allow them to play a game they consider they should? Nine has their problems however its better the devil you know that the one you don't in this case I believe.

DIEHARD

----
We just need to make sure we get our agreement in an iron clad contract so they can't screw us over. I think Rugby League is in a position to dictate its own terms. Whether they be a new contract with 7 or a fair contract with 9. Seven must be desperate for something to hit back at 9 and 9 would be shitting themselves at the prospect at losing rugby league.

DIEHARD

----
Also more money means more teams. We will get our Gold Coasts, 2nd Brisbanes, and maybe Perth or 2nd NZ. More internationals as well. The stock of rugby league will skyrocket to blue chip status. 8)

Glenn

First Grade
Hmmm, the reason given by Seven, is the upcoming Athens Olympics and not being able to justify costs of the Super 12, maybe the start of clearing the decks to take on Nine , and fill the void left by AFL in there sporting line up

simon says

First Grade
I cant believe that anyone would be dissapointed with the possibility of 9 losing the rights to the footy.Have you been watching the shoddy coverage we have been getting from the bums for years???

These are the same apes that refuse to show games live,and deny fox the right to show the games live even when they dont.

The same dills they dont have at least an hour preview of the games during the week.The same dills that dont put a game on Saturday,the same knobs that do not show one live NRL game all year.

The same imposters who monopolise all footy games and show what they want when they want....

At the very least,channel 7s bid should raise the price of the contract to the NRL, and thus improve the grants the clubs get.Hopefully this will ease the burden of the pokie tax.Im hoping 7 gets the bloody contract,and if they plug league like they did they AFL,with previews and talk shows all during the week and all day weekends......well all I can say is watch the leagues popularity soar.

This is the breath of fresh air the league has been looking for.....go 7!!!!!!

legend

Coach
I'm in full agreeance with Glenn. I think Channel Seven with all their ex-nine execs are clearing the decks in an attempt to lure league away from nine and it may just work. Fatty and Sterlo will be long gone and who knows what these blokes have written into their contracts. They may have get out clauses that if the League leaves nine, so do they. I'm not saying I want them to continue to cover the game, but Andrew Voss would be a great caller on any station.

Moffo, regardless of which tv station Union is on, it simply does not rate on the box and no one is prepared to shell out big money for something that is a guaranteed dud (except internationals).

Whatever the outcome, ten years after the mess of the SUper League war, Rugby League will take it's rightful place as Australia's winter code and the money the networks will have to shell out will dwarf AFL.

For what it's worth, if there is a RLWC in 2008, that could add to the price and sweeten the deal.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
It's all here-say really. No SEVEN spokeman was asked were they? I doubt they do want it at all. Some writer just unhappy with NINE.

The Colonel

Immortal
simon says said:
I cant believe that anyone would be dissapointed with the possibility of 9 losing the rights to the footy.Have you been watching the shoddy coverage we have been getting from the bums for years???

I wouldn't be disappointed with the FTA rights going to Channel 7 provided their coverage is up to scratch. Any half decent programme they have ever had their hands on gets hidden away - remember the Sopranos - award winning series that despite calls for an earlier timeslot were ignored? AFL coverage in Sydney was poor at best - most Friday or Saturday night matches tucked away behind movies being re-run for the umpteenth time. Saturday matches were shown live and often Sunday matches were delayed at best.

The cricket - they did not show the first session of any of the Ashes series - and particularly when the Ashes were won no one in Australia saw them live. They had to sit through a 30 minute highight package.

The Olympics - when your best coverage comes from two comedians there is a lot to be said.

The Soccer - the only reason you knew 7 had the rights was because they didn't even show it.

Channel Nine have a lot to do to win over fans however Channel Seven have to show a lot more to encourage vieweres they won't be screwed worse.

Did anyone see the front page of the daily telegraph today?

"Seven drops rugby"

'THE network that televised the best ever Rugby World Cup has turned its back on the game's premier provincial competition – Super 12'

huzzah! :mrgreen:

Moffo

Referee
:lol: @ ARU

What a slap in the face

Im open minded about the 7 v 9 argument...there are 2 sides to the story for sure

But the ARU look like shit now...they won't have their stupid 12 tournament on FTA. All ch7 will show is the internationals :lol:

Onay Leckie :lol: What a laugh today has been!

"Simple fact is that the game doesn't rate"

:lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Actually I think this could be a boon for RL, as long as it doesn't go to the bargaining table with shrivelled testicles.

Channel 9 is the number one channel nationwide, but this is mostly due to its market dominance in Sydney and Melbourne. Channel 7 is actually the dominant station in Perth, and I believe in Adelaide as well.

Come the renegotiation time, RL is going to have one big thing in its favour.

After the current AFL TV right deal expires in 2006, the AFL is likely to kick 2 sides out.

The existing pay agreement the AFL has with its player union dictates their wages must go up, and up and up, and keep indexing. The money they get is divided 16 ways, but this is barely enough. By the time the wages go up in 2006 and onwards, they will simply not have enough money.

The existing deal is that if a team can't come up with all the money, they must as least spend 92.5% of their salary cap, with the AFL guaranteeing the rest of the wages. The AFL central body already subsidizes wages for both North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

The next TV deal looks like getting them no increases money, and they way it looks with pay-tv, a pay cut.

The AFL has a contract however to pay out more wages, with no increase in income.

A 14 team comp will suit them fine as well as it can allow all team to play each other twice in a 26 round competition.

The AFL will kick 2 teams out in 2006, mark my words.

These teams will be North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs, unless a merger occurs, leaving St Kilda.

The Melbourne Storm has to position themselves to pick up these fans, like the swans did during SL, and they'll average 20k.

Then the NRL can go to channel 7, with this to bargain with.

Channel 7 will want Sydney's RL audience. Give channel 7 3 SOO's and gf, + test matches for RL, it will claim some ground on channel 9.

Channel 7 will get some Melbourne new RL converts, who will hate channel 9, cuz the deal that kicks their 2 AFL sides out will have Eddie McGuires finger prints all over it.

The NRL will want channel 7's market dominance in Perth and Adelaide. But the NRL has to force this issue, of having at least its marquee games (SOO and gf) shown at decent hours.

Surandy

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
After the current AFL TV right deal expires in 2006, the AFL is likely to kick 2 sides out.

The AFL will kick 2 teams out in 2006, mark my words.

The Melbourne Storm has to position themselves to pick up these fans, like the swans did during SL, and they'll average 20k.

The AFL administration saw what happened to RL during the SL wars and have previously seen the backlash that came from this. I don't think the AFL administration will try and kick any team out or even be seen to be actively "encouraging" teams to merge or relocate. They don't want to risk copping the blame from the particular teams' supporters. This issue was actually discussed on a sports radio station this morning featuring ex AFL players and Eddie McGuire.

As for Storm picking up the disgruntled fans, that is a possibility but 20k average crowds for Storm? Impossible unless we get an upgraded ground or a whole new home ground. Olympic Park's capacity isn't much better than 20k unfortunately. The money that had been earmarked to improve the ground and it's facilities was withdrawn by the current Vic government, or so I've been told.

Surandy

XXXX

Juniors
First of all forget about what the AFL is or is not doing .
Fans don't swap codes easily .Historically when AFL teams are in trouble they re-locate into RL territory .

As for C7 they are big in Perth and Adelaide because they televised AF .
The drawback is that Perth at least is an independent .C7 has the weakest network and has a history of dropping coverage NSL and S12 .C7 were reluctantant to push AFL in Sydney and Stokes wont push NRL into Perth .
Perth has really gone off the boil .They Haven't shown the NRL GF here for 2 years running .

C7s AFL coverage had a lot of detractors and they coudn't put together a decent footy show even though they had 3 attempts .

The good news is that C7 wont want the rights to go cheaply to anyone ,so they'll be pushing the envelope to force the others to over extend themsleves .

Moffo

Referee
Add to that the Melbourne Demons Kurt, they went to the AFL cap in hand looking for a handout in order to stay afloat

Cheers,
Moffo

Latest posts