What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sh*t crowd last night..not acceptable!

Ryan

Juniors
Hi Guys,

I think like others have rightly said in this thread, that Melbourne in the scheme of things have done pretty well considerring they play in an AFL dominated state. I also think that (and I'm only basing this off what commentators have said as I've never been there), that Olympic Park isn't the best park to actually watch footy at? Maybe a Storm fan can clarify that.

I think the REAL problem is this:-

Look at the AFL. They have a competition very much like the NRL. Most teams in one state, and a sprinkle of teams in other states. You could then almost say that The Sydney Swans in the AFL, are not too dissimilar in The Melbourne Storm.

Why is it then that when Sydney are playing well, The crowd sizes are 50,000 or so?
Why is it games in the AFL frequently have that number in Victoria?

I also don't believe that crowd sizes in Melbourne for The Storm are in any way their fault. They have a fantastic brand, and an awesome marketting campaign. You see their name, and their players names all the time (obviously a good media manager).

So - what does the AFL do differently to the NRL to get such passion, and effort from there fans to turn up week after week? That's the issue I reckon lads.

I was at the Manly versus Tigers game last Friday night in 3 degree temperatures, with an even colder breeze blowing in off the ocean, but that didn't matter. The atmosphere was great. I even give credit to the travelling Tigers Fans. They were awesome. They sat together, and had a voice as large as the rest of our Manly crowd.

There's nothing better than going to watch our game.

But like I said, what can the NRL do, or do differently to assist the clubs in boosting crowd numbers?

It's a tough one....but not an issue I think is worthy of the arguing in this thread guys.

dimitri

First Grade
Lime_Green said:
My point is perhaps we shouldn't bother...

I love watching the Storm, but every time I do I'm struck by what a waste of talent that team is. Those players should be playing for clubs that actually have a decent fan base.

I know that sounds inflammatory and I apologise to the handful of existing Storm fans.

But I do not believe that league will ever have much of a foothold in that state.

I went to high school there, I remember the hatred for rugby league and the ingrained AFL culture.

When rugby league is struggling in its heartland - Sydney - you have to wonder about the common sense of continuing to keep alive a rugby league team in hostile territory.

I think the NRL should focus on rebuilding and strengthening the presence of the game in areas that are actually receptive to league rather than wasting resources and talent in a state that's not ready yet. Just my opinion though.

HEY GOOSE

THE STORM HAVE 7000 Members This Year!

How Many do the Raiders Have?

.......perhaps we should 'bother'

Ice777

Bench
Canberra are averaging 400 more people a game this year than Melbourne and they don't have 9 other AFL clubs to contend with for people's money. Come to think of it they don't have anything at all really to compete with in terms of competition. Make of that what you will.

dimitri

First Grade
Ice777 said:
Canberra are averaging 400 more people a game this year than Melbourne and they don't have 9 other AFL clubs to contend with for people's money. Come to think of it they don't have anything at all really to compete with in terms of competition. Make of that what you will.

Good point!

I'm sure they have many less members than the Storm too!

This is a club which has won premierships and been around since 1982

(KW)

Juniors
If the Raiders had lost but 1 game at home in 2 seasons, won succesive minor premierships, played in succesive Grand Finals (as the Strom should), they would average 20000 and have 10000 members.

The Storm are wasted down there. I am all for spreading the game and believe they should exist, but a team which plays that well would be the biggest thing since sliced bread if it were based in a league heartland.

KW

Ice777

Bench
(KW) said:
If the Raiders had lost but 1 game at home in 2 seasons, won succesive minor premierships, played in succesive Grand Finals (as the Strom should), they would average 20000 and have 10000 members.

Blah blah blah. You can speculate all you like what the figures would be like if the Raiders were in the Storm's position, but the bottom line is all you're doing is guessing.

Cranky

Juniors
I don't think people realise what a sh*t hole Olympic Park is. Melbournians are used to kick arse stadiums and OP is a throw back to 1983.

This is a major reason for the lopw crowds.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Population of Canberra - 300 000.

Population of Melbourne - 3.8 million.

And trust me Canberra has come in for plenty of speculation about its crowds and shifting the team to Gosford. Why should the Storm be some sort of protected species when their numbers are worse?

But really do we really want to go down this juvenile road?

This is an interesting issue for NRL, and has been for some time. Can NRL make it in Victoria?

Unfortunately some Storm fans - who are naturally unable to view this issue with any sort of objectivity as they would be the biggest losers should the Storm move up north - have chosen to take it as some sort of personal attack.

When the preseason push to move the Raiders to the Central Coast was mooted I was opposed but only just, as I could see the long term merits in it. If it happens, it happens. Though I know most Raiders fans are passionately against it.

At the end of the day I think it's important for there to be NRL teams in places where people actually care and turn out for the matches.

The Storm fans seem unable to remove the blinkers, sadly.

Juniors
lol nobody likes a storm team or a storm fan, but ask us if we give a sh*t, we love our team, GO THE STORM!

Juniors
btw, i live in sydney, moving melbourne up here would benefit me with being able to go to more home games, but u dont dont see me pioneering for the move, so try another move goose

Lime_Green

Juniors
1999 said:
but u dont dont see me pioneering for the move, so try another move goose

What's the point. Instead of engaging in an interesting discussion this thread is degenerating into name calling by Storm fans. :roll:

(KW)

Juniors
Ice777 said:
Blah blah blah. You can speculate all you like what the figures would be like if the Raiders were in the Storm's position, but the bottom line is all you're doing is guessing.

You are deadset kidding if you disagree with my previous post. If any other team in the comp, ANY OF THEM, were going as well as Storm are, we would be seeing bumper crowds week in and week out.

Melbourne go from 8k average to 12k. Hate to see their crowds when their team is going woeful.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
1999 said:
btw, i live in sydney, moving melbourne up here would benefit me with being able to go to more home games, but u dont dont see me pioneering for the move, so try another move goose

What got you into the Storm? Are you from Melbourne?

dimitri

First Grade
(KW) said:

The Storm are wasted down there. I am all for spreading the game and believe they should exist, but a team which plays that well would be the biggest thing since sliced bread if it were based in a league heartland.

KW

supporters who are a bit thick would think that this was a good argument

of course there is much more that
influences a crowd - than just team performance and population

cronker

Juniors
well, i'm from adelaide and i got into the Storm because they are closer for me to go to home games, they have a reasonable supporter base here.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
cronker said:
well, i'm from adelaide and i got into the Storm because they are closer for me to go to home games, they have a reasonable supporter base here.

Fair enough. I can't cop people from Sydney that have never been to either Melbourne or Brisbane supporting the Storm or Broncos. It is a cop out, but in your case that is understandable.

Bman26

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Fair enough. I can't cop people from Sydney that have never been to either Melbourne or Brisbane supporting the Storm or Broncos. It is a cop out, but in your case that is understandable.

Why cant you cop it. I started supporting the storm when they came into the comp in 1998. I would've been all of 10 at that stage. Im still yet to get to melbourne to see a game due to the fact im a student and have a low income, but i own 2 jerseys, a phone cover, 3 glasses, 1 stein(spelling?), a scarf, an inflatable hand, a pillow and a pair of boxers. I live in Wollongong and have been to many of the games melbourne have played here. Also went to finals game versus the Bulldogs in 2004 and the grand final last year. I want to know why its a cop out, i do my best to support my team.

Juniors
i garuntee about 10% of people on these forums go for their local team, and why i have a soft spot for the panthers, im 100% commited to the storm, my reasons are my own, and i dont have to justify to you why i follow a football team

Juniors
and like bman26, i was also at the grand final and semi's plus any game i can get too locally

Latest posts