What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sh*t crowd last night..not acceptable!

sharko

Juniors
My reading of it is the Storm are pawns in a row between the free to air tv and the pay tv mob and their owners...to not have their games shown at remotely reasonable hour is absurd..this damages their profile and must damage their sponsors exposure.
This what happens when an American multi national sticks it beak into league and tries to own and run the game..they are too incompotent to pull it off.
We hear the usual hollow threats of removing games from free to air if they are not shown properly in Victoria and others States..but I believe there is a tacit agreement between the News/NRL and the tv owners that league will not impinge on AFL in Victoria for some reason..god knows why the shady types make these arrangements but they exist and are costing league in Victoria big bucks and big expsoure!

cronker

Juniors
And that makes absolutely no sense now that Channel Nein has lost the rights to AFL. A smart programmer would schedule the Friday night games directly against Channel 7's footy, not at fing 2am in the morning.

Dodger said:
AVERAGE HOME CROWDS
Storm 11,840
Cronulla 11,497

oh, hes a cronulla fan eh?

so with the advantage of more away fans as shark park is in sydney and a bumper crowd against saints helping the crowd average of the sharks, they still get less than the storm.

if cronulla hadn't run along to news ltd, we would have saints occupying the southern suburbs of sydney and illawarra on their own in wollongong. thats whats good for RL.

the sharks have done nothing since coming in in 67, and indeed were only brought in to stop st george from winning 12 straight.

the storm have won more comps in 11 years than cronulla in 31.

Crowd Numbers for Rd 18

North Queensland v Brisbane: 25926
Manly v Wests Tigers: 15288
Parramatta v South Sydney: 15202
Bulldogs v Penrith: 12465
Melbourne v Newcastle: 10223

Warriors v St George Illawarra: 10037
Canberra v Gold Coast: 9136
Sydney Roosters v Cronulla: 8421

Also, last Monday night's game only had a small crowd too.
(Round 17 M.N.F. - Parramatta v Newcastle: 10363)

(Source: www.nrlstats.com)

Last night's crowd wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst either.
Personally, I would like to see the NRL have a schedule so supporters can arrange flights and annual leave to attend games interstate and overseas. The 5 week lead up is useless for travelling supporters but I know this won't change unless Ch. Nein and News Ltd take crowd numbers seriously.

dubby said:
geez BB you had a nice objective post there, but your last sentence destroyed all your work.

I dunno about jealous, but many clubs would like to have the financial assistance the Storm have been given since their inception.

You are a idiot of the highest order

Where the proof that the storm recived Financial Assistance in the 10 years of it's running of the club?

The Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club has not got one cent from the NRL, in fact we have given them money with the salary cap fines we done. So do say we have not recived financial assistance because that is the biggest load of bullsh*t i ever heard.

eels_fan_01 said:
Thats no excuse at all that its only Storm supporters because NSW has what 8 teams so its spilit into 8 supporter groups. Theres one rugby league team in Victoria and they are first on the ladder and they cant pull more than an 11 thousand average.

If you take the last 2 home games out of the equation. It was over 12K

the last 2 games have been f**king cold. Today we had the coldest day in 9 years since we had the drought.It was snowing from my wife's CBD office (Lvl 15) Yesterday and last night was not much better.

Lime_Green said:
That's such a weak argument. The Cowboys are miles from anywhere else, therefore don't pick up opposition fans and they have very strong crowds. Same goes for Brisbane.

The Storm are a one team town, they're not splitting their massive population over 8 teams as happens in Sydney.

The reality is:

Olympic Park is a crap stadium
99.9% of Victorians are AFL mad and regard league derisively as "thugby" and very much the enemy.

99.99% don't care my arse

At a storm game, a Average of 10k go to the game so 10k divide by 4 million then multiple by 100 equal 0.25%

100-0.25 = 99.75%

So your 99.9% crap is blowed out of the water.

How long since you left melbourne?

Lime_Green said:
Sure but if/when the Storm lose a few of their stars to other clubs, and the club falls down the ladder again a bit those crowds will probably go back down. Happens everywhere else.

If you can only average 12K with a season like this, the question certainly must be asked. And a 10K showing on Monday night footy...that's poor.

What does rugby league have to do to get some traction in Victoria?

Is it even possible to?

Since the State Of orgin, I have had more interest in the Storm from Work colleagues, family, Friends and even strangers willing to chat when i have my storm scarf on to see how the storm going and a very keen. I have not seen that ammount of interest in the past year compare to the 9 years tha i have supported the storm

yakstorm

First Grade
I find it hilarious that Canberra fans are going on about just cause the Storm are going well, their crowds should be a lot higher. Who can remember these moments in Raiders crowd history?

1987 - Made first Grand Final: 6,918
1989 - Won first Grand Final: 9,241

In fact, Canberra crowds never got really good until, guess what? They got a new stadium!

Before we blast Storm crowds, lets wait and see how well the Storm draw in the finals when they have to take at least 1 game to Telstra Dome. That will be a truer sign.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
eels_fan_01 said:
Isnt that the whole argument in the first place you just said it yourself. "AFL is a religion". So why do they persist with the Storm if thats so.

:lol:

Yeah, because the AFL is really going to pull out of Sydney :sarcasm:

In-goal

Bench
I think alot has to be said about the Melbourne weather at the moment and the AFL being dominated by Victorian sides for the first time this decade.

All these things play into the storms abbility to pull a crowd after all there were 85,000 at the MCG on Saturday arvo to watch Geelong and Collingwood, surley there are people who can't afford to attend 2 games on 1 weekend.

You might find the storm crowds are bigger when certain AFL clubs are interstate

dimitri

First Grade
PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT!

THE STORM HAVE 10 YEARS OF HISTORY!

TEAMS LIKE THE ROOSTERS HAVE HAD 100 YEARS TO BUILD THEIR CROWDS AND HAVE DONE NOTHING

WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES

FFS - It took the swans 20 years to get decent crowds in Sydney even with all the ex-pat vics

Lime_Green

Juniors
dimitri said:
PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT!

THE STORM HAVE 10 YEARS OF HISTORY!

TEAMS LIKE THE ROOSTERS HAVE HAD 100 YEARS TO BUILD THEIR CROWDS AND HAVE DONE NOTHING

WAKE UP TO YOURSELVES

FFS - It took the swans 20 years to get decent crowds in Sydney even with all the ex-pat vics

*cough* Titans *cough* 1 year

*cough* Cowboys *cough* 10 years

*cough* Newcastle Knights *cough* 19 years

And don't forget many of these historic clubs merged during the 1990s, which ravaged attachments to clubs on the basis of history.

dimitri

First Grade
Lime_Green said:
*cough* Titans *cough* 1 year

*cough* Cowboys *cough* 10 years

*cough* Newcastle Knights *cough* 19 years

And don't forget many of these historic clubs merged during the 1990s, which ravaged attachments to clubs on the basis of history.

you still don't get it

PROFESSIONAL RL on the GC dates back to 1988 - not to mention also the population boom

Once again NEWCASTLE had a team in the very first comp in 1908 - went off and created their own comp then came back into the nrl in 1988

Historic Clubs that merged still have years of history to build upon.

Starting a team from scratch after the worst even in RL history in what was an anti-RL city at the time is completely different!

Lime_Green

Juniors
dimitri said:
Starting a team from scratch after the worst even in RL history in what was an anti-RL city at the time is completely different!

My point is perhaps we shouldn't bother...

I love watching the Storm, but every time I do I'm struck by what a waste of talent that team is. Those players should be playing for clubs that actually have a decent fan base.

I know that sounds inflammatory and I apologise to the handful of existing Storm fans.

But I do not believe that league will ever have much of a foothold in that state.

I went to high school there, I remember the hatred for rugby league and the ingrained AFL culture.

When rugby league is struggling in its heartland - Sydney - you have to wonder about the common sense of continuing to keep alive a rugby league team in hostile territory.

I think the NRL should focus on rebuilding and strengthening the presence of the game in areas that are actually receptive to league rather than wasting resources and talent in a state that's not ready yet. Just my opinion though.

Latest posts