What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sh*t crowd last night..not acceptable!

dubby

Bench
Ice777 said:
Shut up? Now now there's no need to be a little bitch about it! Now go have a sook about those terrible Titans being bad sports :lol:

:roll:

Are you part of my fan club iceman?

No?

Shame.

But anyway, back to your rant and nonsical spiel about how grateful the NRL should be because Melbourne are in it...

eels_fan_01

Bench
Ice777 said:
Obviously the irony went straight over your head. Not surprising really......

I know what your trying to say but its hard for you because your not right in the head. There wanst any irony at all....i said this whole thread has gone no where. it would have been ironic if i said "you all are going nowhere im moving on" and then posted the same thing. You see the difference? I said the thread is going nowhere but i didnt say i wasnt apart of the thread. Far out, i should get paid for teaching geniuss.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Ice777 said:
No haven't descended into anything. I was only agreeing with what another poster said previously. I believe EVERY club is important to the league, but i'm not the one trying to get rid of one am i? What is that descending to?

I'm not advocating the removal of the Storm either, but their attendances since they were admitted to the NRL do make a case for their relocation.

This is the situation in Melbourne for RL supporters:
- After Midnight Replays of Friday Night Football (The 2nd match doesn't start till 2am and during Wimbledon, the replays didn't start till 4am)
- After Midnight replay of the Sunday afternoon match
- AFL stories dominates the evening news, with token reports of other sports like Tennis, League, Soccer, Union et al;
- AFL coverage from 8:30pm Friday night till 6pm on Sunday night; and
- Zero coverage of Storm matches if they are on Foxtel (ie Saturdays, the Foxtel Sunday game or Monday night)

To improve League and the Storm in general, the NRL needs to:
- Have a fixed schedule for the whole season and not to release the draw 5 weeks prior to the matches. Three of my mates could not come on Monday night due to their Indoor Soccer Commitments. If the NRL releases the full draw at the start of the season, supporters could possibly plan around the scheduled matches
- Daytime Replays or broadcast of Melbourne Storm and League games on Ch. Nein.

I know it's not a comprehensive list and I know it won't solve the Storm's low crowd numbers but it's just for starters.

As most posters have pointed out, Rugby League is starting from scratch in Melbourne. Unlike the Swans and Lions who have an establish supporter base from Melbourne or the Melbourne Victory who is built up by supporters from the former NSL competition and migrant fans from Sth America, Europe, Africa and Asia. Sadly a lot of Victorians still see Rugby League as a NSW/ Qld sport.

I'm not sure if you people up north, realised how big AFL is in this city. AFL rules Melbourne in all forms of media and also in workplaces, schools, churches etc.
I always have great pleasure whenever I get ask, "which team do ya barrack for" and I reply the Melbourne Storm. Then they try to ask "but ya follow the AFL?" and I go "not interested at all."

We have a dedicated fanbase of Storm members in Melbourne and for a team that do not get any prime time coverage or media exposure at all, we are doing fairly well.
Hopefully the construction of the new purpose built Swan St. Stadium and the continuing on-field success of the Storm, the game of Rugby League can only get bigger.

LESStar58

Referee
Quidgybo said:
I find it no surprise that after the Origin game last year the Storm went on to record some great crowds in the second half of the season which in turn was followed by a great crowd for the Tri-Nations match in October. And I find it equally unsurprising that with zero follow up this season from the NRL and ARL this momentum has once again been allowed to slip away. As a game, are we serious about cracking the Melbourne market or do we still expect it to just be handed to us on a plate?

Leigh.

You, sir, are right on the money!

Lime_Green

Juniors
THE*STORM*IDENTITY said:
- After Midnight Replays of Friday Night Football (The 2nd match doesn't start till 2am and during Wimbledon, the replays didn't start till 4am)
- AFL stories dominates the evening news, with token reports of other sports like Tennis, League, Soccer, Union et al;
- Zero coverage of Storm matches if they are on Foxtel (ie Saturdays, the Foxtel Sunday game or Monday night)

- Have a fixed schedule for the whole season and not to release the draw 5 weeks prior to the matches. Three of my mates could not come on Monday night due to their Indoor Soccer Commitments. If the NRL releases the full draw at the start of the season, supporters could possibly plan around the scheduled matches

I know it's not a comprehensive list and I know it won't solve the Storm's low crowd numbers but it's just for starters.

As most posters have pointed out, Rugby League is starting from scratch in Melbourne. Unlike the Swans and Lions who have an establish supporter base from Melbourne or the Melbourne Victory who is built up by supporters from the former NSL competition and migrant fans from Sth America, Europe, Africa and Asia. Sadly a lot of Victorians still see Rugby League as a NSW/ Qld sport.

I'm not sure if you people up north, realised how big AFL is in this city. AFL rules Melbourne in all forms of media and also in workplaces, schools, churches etc.
I always have great pleasure whenever I get ask, "which team do ya barrack for" and I reply the Melbourne Storm. Then they try to ask "but ya follow the AFL?" and I go "not interested at all."

We have a dedicated fanbase of Storm members in Melbourne and for a team that do not get any prime time coverage or media exposure at all, we are doing fairly well.
Hopefully the construction of the new purpose built Swan St. Stadium and the continuing on-field success of the Storm, the game of Rugby League can only get bigger.

Good post. Some constructive stuff in there.

I can't belive Nine are still delaying league in Melbourne despite losing the AFL. Talk about screwing over the code.

Decent TV coverage + a new stadium is a good starting point. If that doesn't pay dividends relocation has to become a real threat 5 years or so down the track.

LESStar58

Referee
I can't belive Nine are still delaying league in Melbourne despite losing the AFL. Talk about screwing over the code.

LG...... there was an AFL man in charge of Nine. Says it all. Add to that the anti RL element at Nine in Melbourne and it makes things pretty hard.

LESStar58

Referee
always have great pleasure whenever I get ask, "which team do ya barrack for" and I reply the Melbourne Storm. Then they try to ask "but ya follow the AFL?" and I go "not interested at all."

I'm often asked that same question and I say "Melbourne" and they say "Oh, the Demons?". And I say, "No, Melbourne Storm. Proper football. Not fumbleball".

Last nite I was at TAFE chatting with a classmate who is a Dragons fan about King going to Warrington and the word "contract" was used. A fella asked if we were talking about Nick Reiwoldt and we just laughed at him and said "whos that?".

I f**king love how precious all these AFL types get when you have anything bad to say about their precious eyesore of a "sport". I get sh*t for being a leaguie cos down here you only get the bad stuff (rape accusations, drug use and other assorted buffonery) so I just hit em with prime stuff out of the AFL: Culture To despise thread in TFC. it's amazing how many people don't know about Mikey "Hush Money" O'Loughlin or Adam "she still had her tampon in" Heuskes.

And then I get "Your total crowds for a round equal one games crowd at an AFL match at the MCG". They love hanging their hats on crowd figures and averages and revenue. I tell em it just goes to show you really CAN polih a turd.

Lime_Green said:
Population of Canberra - 300 000.

Population of Melbourne - 3.8 million.

And trust me Canberra has come in for plenty of speculation about its crowds and shifting the team to Gosford. Why should the Storm be some sort of protected species when their numbers are worse??.

The Storm have never been protected species. I really think you are confusing your sporting codes because Brisbane Lions and Sydney Swans(Both winning Premierships in the past 5 years) still have Salary Cap Concessions in which Melbourne storm has never had Salary Cap in it whole history and won a premiership with NO SALARY CAP Concessions.

TO THIS DAY, Brisbane and Sydney still have concessions today

Lime_Green said:
But really do we really want to go down this juvenile road?

This is an interesting issue for NRL, and has been for some time. Can NRL make it in Victoria?.
YES it can and it has

Lime_Green said:
Unfortunately some Storm fans - who are naturally unable to view this issue with any sort of objectivity as they would be the biggest losers should the Storm move up north - have chosen to take it as some sort of personal attack..

We will view it but it like saying Kirribilli or Parliament house should be in Simpson Desert
Lime_Green said:
When the preseason push to move the Raiders to the Central Coast was mooted I was opposed but only just, as I could see the long term merits in it. If it happens, it happens. Though I know most Raiders fans are passionately against it.

I never ever heard that.
Lime_Green said:
At the end of the day I think it's important for there to be NRL teams in places where people actually care and turn out for the matches.
What you just said is let bring back early 1990's and stuff NQ,Melbourne, Auckland and Gold Coast to a extent.

whoohooo,let's bring back Tina Turner and change the Comp back to NSWRL as it was back in the early 90's
Lime_Green said:
The Storm fans seem unable to remove the blinkers, sadly.

How would you like it when somebody is saying awful crap about the raiders? Would you defend you club that your passionate about? Do not say you would not because nobody would belive you

(KW) said:
And the "our stadium is crap" line doesn't wash either. If they honestly believed they could get a crowd worthy of moving a game to Telstra Dome, then do it.

Yes go from one stadium that needs a magnifying glasses to a Stadium that needs binoculars

Been to Telstra Dome and it did not work out.

I can't wait for the New Stadium to be built.

S.S.T.I.D said:
What got you into the Storm? Are you from Melbourne?

I was a Balmain supporter but never got interested until the storm arrived in 1998. I was at the first Storm home game and was hooked since.

Yes, I can say I am Victorian Born and Breed and might i say, I am quite proud of it too.

Lime_Green

Juniors
chemicalbrother said:
How would you like it when somebody is saying awful crap about the raiders? Would you defend you club that your passionate about? Do not say you would not because nobody would belive you

That's the problem. I'm not having a go at the Storm and unfortunately the Storm fans have taken it that way. They're great to watch, they have a fabulous coach and I admire the Storm supporters for their support in AFL central.

I'm a bit defeatist I guess though having lived there, and I find it difficult to imagine NRL ever getting a strong foothold in that market. AFL is so ingrained in the entire social fabric of the place, it's different to up here.

They need to be given a fair go on TV and in terms of a decent stadium before it would be realistic to talk about relocation. But if that does/did fail then you have to ask the question, don't you?

And yes Canberra - Gosford was mooted late last year, if not too seriously. I was and remain open to it if Canberra didn't get bums on seats. A more attractive brand of footy has brought in bigger crowds this year, fortunately, so it's very much off the radar again.

yakstorm

First Grade
dubby said:
And of course the increased population and success had nothing to do with that either?

And what were the other clubs averages in those years? You can make stats mean anything so bring them all out to give us a fair idea. I bet we were better than most Sydney clubs in the 80's when RL crowds were averaging under 9k.

Plus, Seiffert is a much worse ground than Olympic Park. And if the new stadium is all the reason for new crowds, why didnt your move to the Dome bring in huge crowds?

Melbourne has what, 10 times the ACT population? A fair comparison hey mate?

I think it is a fair comparasion because you can't just compare population with population, you have to compare market sizes. When the Raiders were formed there was already an established RL market within that region, when the Storm were formed that market was close to non-existant.

The Storm have successfully continued to expand their market, increase their revenues, and enhance their brand whilst the Raiders are what? Can only draw crowds slightly bigger than the Storm, have a jersey worth around a 1/3rd of the Storms, command about 40% in Corporate Sales as the Storm, sell less merchandise yet if you were to count the RL supporting populations in the two centres, Canberra's would be about the same size.

The Storm have also been successfully in growing their support abroad, particulary in Queensland, similar to how the Swans have grown their supporter base in Victoria, they are only helping further entrench themselves within the competition.

As for your other comments, well on what grounds do you claim Seiffert is a worse ground than OP? OP is the only ground I know of where you can have the most expensive seats in the ground and have a pillar blocking half your view, Ive been to Seiffert and not seen that. Both grounds are pretty bad, and as I said before, the move to Bruce help Canberra significantly in drawing crowds just like the new OP will help the Storm.

It was your fellow Canberra fans who brought out these stats that it only took Gold Coast 1 year to get huge crowds, all I was trying to show is that it took time for even your club to establish itself.

Just in reply to your question, in 1989, Balmain, Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta and Souths all had larger crowds than Canberra, and Easts, Saints and Penrith were around the same mark, so the Raiders weren't killing it then. In 1987 Canberra's were the lowest in the league.

dimitri

First Grade
yakstorm said:
I think it is a fair comparasion because you can't just compare population with population, you have to compare market sizes. When the Raiders were formed there was already an established RL market within that region, when the Storm were formed that market was close to non-existant.

The Storm have successfully continued to expand their market, increase their revenues, and enhance their brand whilst the Raiders are what? Can only draw crowds slightly bigger than the Storm, have a jersey worth around a 1/3rd of the Storms, command about 40% in Corporate Sales as the Storm, sell less merchandise yet if you were to count the RL supporting populations in the two centres, Canberra's would be about the same size.

The Storm have also been successfully in growing their support abroad, particulary in Queensland, similar to how the Swans have grown their supporter base in Victoria, they are only helping further entrench themselves within the competition.

As for your other comments, well on what grounds do you claim Seiffert is a worse ground than OP? OP is the only ground I know of where you can have the most expensive seats in the ground and have a pillar blocking half your view, Ive been to Seiffert and not seen that. Both grounds are pretty bad, and as I said before, the move to Bruce help Canberra significantly in drawing crowds just like the new OP will help the Storm.

It was your fellow Canberra fans who brought out these stats that it only took Gold Coast 1 year to get huge crowds, all I was trying to show is that it took time for even your club to establish itself.

Just in reply to your question, in 1989, Balmain, Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta and Souths all had larger crowds than Canberra, and Easts, Saints and Penrith were around the same mark, so the Raiders weren't killing it then. In 1987 Canberra's were the lowest in the league.

some excellent points.

at the end of the day - relocating the storm would turn one of the most successful teams in the comp into a basketcase

the storm are building their brand as well as the sport of RL in Australia's 2nd biggest city

meanwhile teams in australian's biggest and the country's biggest RL city are struggling to keep up in terms of crowd numbers, membership, merchandise figures, sponsorship etc

If any teams are to be relocated, it has to be the sydney sides

cronker

Juniors
THE*STORM*IDENTITY said:

Great post, the exact same situation here in Adelaide, unfortunately. The nuffys at Channel Nein still adhere to the idea that league is only of interest to NSW and QLD. Try coming out to one of the sports bars in Adelaide of a Saturday arvo and see just how many people like gathering around to watch NRL. That's not even counting the Foxtel viewers. Sure, AFL is always going to have astronger audience in this market, due to the saturation of the code in the media, but surely NRL should be looking to expand into a national market if it wants to grow its code.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It's been mentioned a few times, the biggest thing for most people is:

NRL, PLAN THE SEASON IN ADVANCE. EVERY OTHER COMPETITION DOES IT.

GET OFF YOUR LAZY ASSES.

It's an absolutely travesty that at present we only have knowledge four rounds ahead at this point. R19-23.

dubby

Bench
yakstorm said:

Care to back up your post with some facts?

And in 1982 we had higher average crowds than all clubs bar Parra and the Dogs. Just like GC today first season novely factor.

Winning breeds success. The STorm have had better results than us over the last few years and that has reflected with their "increased revenues" and "making better use of their brand". Just how can you compare a team that has lost about 8 games in 2 years to a team that has lost 10 this year? You may as well compare the Raiders brand and increased revenue from 1989-1994 in their prime era, when generally the figures back then are miniscule compared to today. The game itself has come along way in that area, so it is not fair to make judgements on that level anyway.

Alot of people here do not realise that the ACT used to be mostly an AFL town until the Raiders appeared. Yes there was a RL market, but it was not the stronghold in the town.

Nowadays, we have the Brumbies competing in town and they have attracted alot more corporate support recently due to their success and Super League. Comparing the Wallaby contingent in the Brumbies who were sweeping all before them and the battling Raiders who were unnoticed and unappreciated by their local media and we have had the same burdens as the Storm in some regards.

The Storm are basically a team of QLDers playing in Victoria. Hence their strong QLD support. How many Storm players are from Victoria? Whereas we have Troy Thomson, Lincoln Withers, Trevor Thurling are all from the ACT and Joe Picker and Todd Carney from close proximatey. Even in our first year we had plenty of local lads in the team. Can Melbourne say the same?

If they are so damn good and important, how long will it take for them to develop Victorian players? They have had about 10 years and not one has made it yet.

I am not anti Melbourne. I hope we can survive there, but I wonder how much better they can be and only draw average crowds of 12k after being the best team in the comp for 2 years? Any other team would be averaging about 18k (more if you were NQ, Bris, Newc)

dubby

Bench
chemicalbrother said:
Yes, So does all other 15 cubs

and no, you never touched my nerve.

So, wait.

A second ago, the Storm never received any funding, now all clubs do? :?

make up your mind.

Quidgybo

Bench
dubby said:
So, wait.

A second ago, the Storm never received any funding, now all clubs do? :?

make up your mind.
The Storm don't get any additional funding from the NRL that the other fifteen clubs don't also get. Each club gets the same annual grant (about $3.4m). Any other grant that the Storm get is coming direct from their owners, News Ltd. In this regard the reliance on such additional grants to prop up the football club isn't that different from Leagues Clubs grants (such as from Queanbeyan) which have been subsidising the top level of the game for the best part of the last fifty years. Without this additional money they'd go under - just like most clubs would go under without their Leagues Club's support.

Leigh.

Latest posts