What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Call it hypocrisy or whatever makes you sleep better at night but regardless, it should be a positive that someone in NRL management is seemingly one vertebrae into growing a spine and sending a message that the clubs do not have a free reign over the game. A miniscule step but at least it shows some leadership.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Seems this blaming the refs is filtering through to the lower grades

If it's good enough for the role models in the top grade to do it without ramification outside of a slap on the wrist $10, 000 fine, then why wouldn't the grass roots people do it as well without fear.

Eion

First Grade
Call it hypocrisy or whatever makes you sleep better at night but regardless, it should be a positive that someone in NRL management is seemingly one vertebrae into growing a spine and sending a message that the clubs do not have a free reign over the game. A miniscule step but at least it shows some leadership.
Policy on the run is not leadership at all....quite the opposite.

Front-Rower

First Grade
The only commment I'll make on this topic, especially in relation to the Sharks, is that if Gallen didn't take a dive against my mob at Leichhardt and then come out on radio a few days later where he virtually laughed about it then maybe they might have a point.

Eion

First Grade
Gal is a bit of a goose, and if the one issue was the non penalty against Gal I for one could wear it.

Eion

First Grade
True, but some action is better than nothing.
Can't agree. It's not hard to address.

Greenberg acknowledges that there have been some inconsistencies in approaches to coaches in the past and their slagging off of refs. He uses the recent examples of Flanno and Baz and says we need to be better blah blah blah. Puts coaches on notice that any reference to officiating invokes a $50,000 fine...then actually applies it. He could also start removing press access to journos who try to goad a response from coaches in the presser.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Anyone who starts off trying to justify Flanno's rant by agreeing that Maloney shouldn't have been sin binned instantly loses all credibility.

It was a clear professional foul that hindered a potential try scoring opportunity.

That's a sin bin.

The Sharks lost that game entirely through their own incompetence. Poor completions, a gross lack of composure, and a high missed tackle count.

Any refereeing mistake was secondary to their own shitness.

Imagine you having a go at someone else for sooking about refereeing...

Surely

Post Whore
According to the SMH there is another angle that shows that Leki was in to touch before the tackle off the ball happened.

If that's not the case, it should have been a penalty.

The smh is full of shit, just wish I could post the video of it

Leutele
According to the SMH there is another angle that shows that Leki was in to touch before the tackle off the ball happened.

If that's not the case, it should have been a penalty.

You should see the video replay it's even more damning

In that pic leutele is almost on the ground

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Can't agree. It's not hard to address.

Greenberg acknowledges that there have been some inconsistencies in approaches to coaches in the past and their slagging off of refs. He uses the recent examples of Flanno and Baz and says we need to be better blah blah blah. Puts coaches on notice that any reference to officiating invokes a $50,000 fine...then actually applies it. He could also start removing press access to journos who try to goad a response from coaches in the presser.

If coaches can't act professional enough to baiting journalists then they need to re-assess their approach. It happens across all sports to get a headline and the good ones know how to play a straight bat and not feed the sound bite hungry news hounds.

Make a strict stand that umpires are off limits and stop passing the buck to people who operate in highly intense situations making split second calls. Mistakes are made across all areas of games; players, coaches, refs etc. Sometimes you are on the right side of the ledger, sometimes not. Bitching and moaning about a call doesn't help anyone, move on and act like a coach of a professional sporting organisation.

carcharias

Immortal
The majority of fans who go to games or those who watch it on tv?
Just all fans
Penrith and parra ( not sure if possible) would be the one.
After seeing how few storm fans showed up last year it'd be a great even crowd.
Cowboys and broncos are dead in the water.

The only commment I'll make on this topic, especially in relation to the Sharks, is that if Gallen didn't take a dive against my mob at Leichhardt and then come out on radio a few days later where he virtually laughed about it then maybe they might have a point.

Oh the hypocrisy!

Do you want me to mention the Tigers doing the same thing this year???

f**k there's some deluded fools on this forum!

Just all fans
Penrith and parra ( not sure if possible) would be the one.
After seeing how few storm fans showed up last year it'd be a great even crowd.
Cowboys and broncos are dead in the water.

I just want to see a major ref f**k up that costs a team a GF win.

I'd grab the popcorn and watch all the hypocrisy to follow.

myrrh ken

First Grade
meh played like shit so didnt really deserve to win. Shouldnt have been left to the last few mins.

I do wish gal would stop trying to pull penalties. even if they are legit he tends to exaggerate it. That tigers one might have influenced the refs decision.

Having said that there were dud calls. No way was the maloney one a sin bin. And the prior rake was just poor ball security.

carcharias

Immortal
Just on flanos rant
He does not have much of a track record for this type of thing.
Other coaches and players are far far worse.

So for him to be hammered by blokes like Sterlo: who he himself would be the first bloke to call a ref out for a mistake.
In fact he would do it just about every single game he commentates .

Tallis: FFS this is the same f**kwit who was sent off ( or sin bin ) for calling the ref a cheat to his face in an Origin match.
He was one of the biggest on field whingers to ever play the game.
Every game he has a say in he'll bag the refs at some point.

IMO , Flano...while probably right in a lot of the things he said ...he would've been better off not saying anything.