What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shannon McDonnell eager to grab opportunity at fullback for Knights

Pumba

First Grade
Shannon McDonnell eager to grab opportunity at fullback for Knights
BY ROBERT DILLON

SHANNON McDonnell plans to make the most of borrowed time when he debuts for Newcastle in Sunday's blockbuster clash with the Bulldogs at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

The 21-year-old fullback joined the Knights three weeks ago, having sought a release from Wests Tigers, knowing full well that his only opportunities might be in the two games skipper Kurt Gidley is likely to miss because of State of Origin commitments.

Gidley and winger James McManus are in camp with the NSW squad before next week's interstate series opener and, if they retain their positions, will also miss Newcastle's round-18 clash with the Raiders before Origin III.

Newcastle have the bye leading into Origin II.

McDonnell is determined to put his best foot forward in Gidley's absence.

"I've got to take my chances," he said yesterday. "At the moment, I'm just looking forward to having a run and playing my style of game.

"I don't like to think about anything past this week, otherwise it gets a bit too much in your head.

"I just want to get this out of the way first and after that, whatever happens, happens."

Knights coach Brian Smith said McDonnell was a different style of player to Gidley but was confident he would prove an asset as Newcastle's last line of defence.

"He's got 30-odd games of first grade up and he'll add his own little bit of brilliance," Smith said. "He's not a human dynamo like Kurt, but he's a good support player and he's got good finishing speed.

"He knows what he's doing and I'm sure he's looking forward to getting out there and showing everyone what he can do."

McDonnell has warmed up for Sunday's clash with two games for feeder club Nelson Bay, scoring three tries in the process.

He said those hit-outs had boosted his match fitness and, after three weeks training with Newcastle's NRL squad, he was eager to make a good first-up impression.

"I've settled in great," he said.

"The boys have been very welcoming and I like the style of football they play here.

"Smithy knows what type of role I like to play as fullback and we've touched up a few things, so it's all jelled well . . . the crowd's very passionate up here and I'm looking forward to having them behind us and seeing what it's like."

Meanwhile, Newcastle five-eighth Ben Rogers was unable to train yesterday because of a flu virus and is no certainty to play on Sunday. If Rogers is ruled out, Scott Dureau will return to Newcastle's scrumbase and Jarrod Mullen will shift from half to five-eighth.

"Ben went to the doctors this morning, so unless he recovers very quickly, he would have to be in doubt, I would think," Smith said.

"We'll see how he brushes up, but Scotty has been really working hard on his weights and speed, so having a rest for the last couple of weeks has been good for him."

No decisions were made on stand-in skipper Steve Simpson (ankle), Junior Sau (ankle), Danny Wicks (knee) and Richie Fa'oso (neck), who were all on light duties yesterday.

Herald

Karmawave

Bench
One of the highlights of going Sunday will be watching this bloke trying to be a first grader.

And Maverick has been spreading his swine flu around just so he can get a game! Nice work.

roopy

Referee
I didn't know this guy was only 21.
I've not seen him play, but he looks a good size, has a reputation for speed, has played 30 games of firstgrade, and is only 21 - that all sounds pretty good to me.

Jono078

Referee
Give the bloke a chance Karma, never know, he could come out and go quite good, we also might see Mullen and Rogers best games, they should get their hands on the ball more often without Gidley there.

Agree give him the benefit of the doubt, he wouldnt be the first fringe first grader come here and achieve success, admittedly he wont have much of a chance too but he will try his guts out in order to impress other clubs for 2010.

roopy

Referee
21 with 30 firstgrade games makes him younger and more experienced than Aku, Scotty, Keith, Ciraldo, Mark, and about on par with Junior.

Hanscholo

Bench
Comes here with a chequered reputation, much like Rogers. Im looking forward to seeing the bloke play.

Yosh

Coach
Hope he does do alright acutally... Never know Smith might make him into a superstar!@!@

One of the highlights of going Sunday will be watching this bloke trying to be a first grader.

And Maverick has been spreading his swine flu around just so he can get a game! Nice work.
I hope the highlight is Mc Donnell scoring a hat trick and shutting a dribbler like yourself right the f### up.

Serc

First Grade
hahaha hold your tongues fellas until 6pm (or 5pm should you be at the game) tomorrow :)

Given some of the comments on this forum about McDonnell before he's even played a game for us, I'd love to see him play well tomorrow :D

God-King Dean

Immortal
I played footy with McDonnell when I was 10 for the might Liverpool City Lions, & some backyard footy when he lived on the same street as my nephew. I hope he does well.

knights_maniac

Juniors
interested to see how he goes! Looking forward to the game. Was up in Newie yesterday, annoyed i had to come home. would have loved to have slipped into see the game!

Karmawave

Bench
Well he was going OK until he displayed his unco tackling style that put his head in the totally wrong spot and knocked himself out.

I guess we shouldn't have expected much more really.

He's done the same thing before trying to tackle when at the Tigers.

He's a fill in - at best.