What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharkies going, going...? (D/T)

flamin

Juniors
The real concern is that we have not hit recession. If we did then there would likely be a down turn on nearly every front
And they came 3rd/equal 1st.

The Shire only has 200000 people - the Sharks have no room to grow and they're in trouble as it is. They cannot possibly survive in the long term - or rather they can survive but it will be at the expense of others.

Last edited:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
:lol:

You sir, have no idea.

Hey dubby (what sort of name is that anyway?),

I think I have more of an idea than you sunshine!

I heard David Gallop say in an interview on 'Offsiders' TV program on ABC TV (it was in Aug/Sep) that the Raiders would probably not survive without News limited.

Also David Gallop quoted from the Canberra Times, link -
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...-but-many-disgruntled-supporters/1354244.aspx

"Without News Ltd, there'd be no Melbourne, there'd be no Townsville, and there'd probably be no Canberra,"

I am also old enough to remember that in the early 1990's the Raiders were close to broke and they had a "Save The Raiders" campaign where they had to ask supporters to donate some money to help save the club (this was after they over-spent on the salary cap).

The point I'm making in my original post is that it's not just Sydney clubs that have financial troubles from time to time. Out of two teams do as well, but out of town teams seem to be a protected species.

melon....

Coach
They are dropping their junior sides!! Quick get Penriff on the line, lets kick the Sharks out of the NRL!! Oops too late!

stuke

Bench
How many clubs can the NRL have to be a success
Bronco's
Cowboys
Gold Coast
another Queensland club
Newcastle
Central Coast
and 3 Sydney teams.
And thats it or just merge with New Zealand Rugby Union as the ass is dropping out if that code.

No need for 2 codes yet the aussie want League but the rest of the world wants Union.

how do you come to the conclusion that the rest of the world wants Union? there are dead set about 5 countries in the world (Australia being one of them, despite it being the fourth football code) that take the game seriously, and you are calling for a world wide domination of the game. :lol:

dubby

Bench
Hey dubby (what sort of name is that anyway?),

I think I have more of an idea than you sunshine!

I heard David Gallop say in an interview on 'Offsiders' TV program on ABC TV (it was in Aug/Sep) that the Raiders would probably not survive without News limited.

Also David Gallop quoted from the Canberra Times, link -
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...-but-many-disgruntled-supporters/1354244.aspx

"Without News Ltd, there'd be no Melbourne, there'd be no Townsville, and there'd probably be no Canberra,"

I am also old enough to remember that in the early 1990's the Raiders were close to broke and they had a "Save The Raiders" campaign where they had to ask supporters to donate some money to help save the club (this was after they over-spent on the salary cap).

The point I'm making in my original post is that it's not just Sydney clubs that have financial troubles from time to time. Out of two teams do as well, but out of town teams seem to be a protected species.

:lol::lol:

You are full of half baked assumptions, half thought ideas and selective memory.

It seems your opinion is already made up, and your arrogance will see to it you are unreasonable.

Have fun in life my friend, it must be tough to always be right on everything.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Hey BrisVegas,

Your name says it all. Time to get that Queensland chip off that shoulder of yours.

I don't want to see ANY teams go under - Sydney based or not. ANY team that goes under is BAD for the game. But if the Sharks need to relocate to Adelaide then so be it.

Now a bit of a history lesson for you -

North Queensland - they would be broke and dead & buried if they weren't saved by their fairy god mother called News Limited.

Canberra - they would be broke and dead & buried if they weren't saved by their fairy god mother called News Limited.

Melbourne - if News Limited pulled out of the Storm tomorrow they would be dead.

Auckland Warriors - went broke. Had to be revived by a private consortium and had a name change to New Zealand Warriors.

Newcastle - have been cash-poor since their very existence and have gone close to being broke, and being bailed out by large community support and Wests (Newcastle) Leagues club.

Illawarra - broke.

The above are NOT Sydney teams. So the financial issues are not just a problem for Sydney clubs. Yes, the poker machine tax and smoking laws affect Sydney clubs right this minute, but let's not have hysterical Queenslanders death-ride Sydney teams the moment a bad story breaks. As you can see from my comments above, out of town teams have been in deep sh!t too.

So let's not have your bvllsh*t views about there being "no money in Sydney". Sydney is the biggest city in Australia and the financial and business capital of Australia. You are obviously a jealous Queenslander that has nothing better to do than go an a Sydney hate mission. Get rid of your Queensland inferiority complex.

As for the broncos, this is a club that has lived with a silver spoon in it's mouth since it's very existence. The Broncos have an unfair advantage over every team (Sydney and non-Sydney) in the comp. Fancy being the only team in a league-mad city of 2 million people? They tried to bring in the Crushers and the Broncos cried like sooks as soon as they had a bit of competition. The sooner we have a 2nd Brisbane team in the comp the better because a league-mad city of Brisbane deserves 2 teams. Brisbane can never proclaim to be the "League capital" if they can only field one football team in the comp.

And if Cronulla goes under well they have won zero comps and at least they are Super League team!

But seriously, I don’t want to seen ANY teams go under.

You have absolutely nailed it here :clap:

Bluebags1908

Juniors
:lol::lol:

You are full of half baked assumptions, half thought ideas and selective memory.

It seems your opinion is already made up, and your arrogance will see to it you are unreasonable.

Have fun in life my friend, it must be tough to always be right on everything.

So what's so half-baked and assumptious about providing evidence from an article in none other than The Canberra Times, in a quote from none other than David Gallop?

And Canberra DID have serious financial difficulties in the early 1990's. It's common knowledge for people that were old enough to remember and it was a major news story of that time (and I'm not trying to put the boot in the Raiders here - we need them in the NRL as much as any other team, and we want every club to prosper).

It's easy being right when in an arguement with you! :lol:

bartman

Immortal
you cannot be serious
that would have to be the dumbest thing ive ever read.
Go back to April 1 1995 a little concept called super league thats what created all of this

Have you only just started following league?????? Because surely your above statement relates to Joey's last contract he signed well and truly after a thing called SUPER LEAGUE started where he wasn't even the HIGHEST paid player going around.
But go ahead blame it on Joey - it's all his fault - got any unsolved murders you'd like to blame him for as well???? What about the World economy - That's Joeys fault as well. And the price of petrol. The list goes on - God damn you Joey:crazy:

Two words are responsible for the ridiculous payouts - superleague.

Super League? I lived through it, I hated it... but now the game is finally back to where it was before that farce began, I've moved on.

Joey's actions for his last Newcastle contract (and the league's acquiescence to his demands) took individual greed in the post-Super League game to a new level, and he's had some pretty high profile followers on his coattails since. Put him on a pedestal if you want, but he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for the increase in individualistic aspirations and their expressions in teh media of elite players since.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Blaming the state government is a cop-out, short sighted NRL club administrators and board members should be shouldering the blame.
Delboy has a barrow to push, if you look at his posting history more often than not there is some historical reference to the ills of the state government rather than admitting the club movement had their heads in the sand and need to share any blame.

gong_eagle

First Grade
and they just got a new grandstand as well, Sharks fans you need to rally behind your team and membership up

bartman

Immortal
That is rubbish, there is plenty of money in the game in areas other then Sydney.
However I think the perception that the game has loads of money coming into it in NSW/Sydney or elsewhere is way off the mark.

Individualistic elite players and their grubby managers think the game is a money tree designed just to keep them happy. They use the mere mention of interest in other codes or countries as leverage to get their current clubs to pay overs just to keep them, to hell with the consequences for the rest of the squad - and Joey was the first to do that on such a scale.

And with those unsustainable and unreasonable expectations of what type of living they could be earning out of league comes the pressure to constantly raise the salary cap higher and higher... to levels the game just cannot afford.

It has already been pointed out to you how few of our clubs actually operate at a profit, without the help of the rare sugar daddy or the blood money of the evil empire. Why do people think this situation will magically change - especially in the current world economic climate?

I want league to prosper, but if we allow it to continue down it's present path, the signs are there that the clubs will not cope. Whether it's Cronulla going under, or a new club on the Central Coast trying to step into the gap - the same issues will plague all clubs, and the game needs to reduce it's main costs (player wages, cost of running a franchise) rather than allow them to continually escalate.

Generalzod

Immortal
I live in the Shire if the NRL does decide to expel Cronulla out of the comp, they will lose me as a supporter forever...I feel that a lot of the people in the Shire that support the Sharks will cease to support the game.

Last edited:

Vossy

Bench
ah less informed people

if you put 2 and 2 together, 2009 membership packages came out yesterday and then there is this article today..this will help push sharks fans to get memberships earlier then usual to put money into the club earlier

dont believe it for a second

we have always found it tough for money, and always will, we are in the same boat as most other clubs..we are not going anywhere

Hey BrisVegas,

Your name says it all. Time to get that Queensland chip off that shoulder of yours.

I don't want to see ANY teams go under - Sydney based or not. ANY team that goes under is BAD for the game. But if the Sharks need to relocate to Adelaide then so be it.

North Queensland - they would be broke and dead & buried if they weren't saved by their fairy god mother called News Limited.

Canberra - they would be broke and dead & buried if they weren't saved by their fairy god mother called News Limited.

Melbourne - if News Limited pulled out of the Storm tomorrow they would be dead.

Auckland Warriors - went broke. Had to be revived by a private consortium and had a name change to New Zealand Warriors.

Newcastle - have been cash-poor since their very existence and have gone close to being broke, and being bailed out by large community support and Wests (Newcastle) Leagues club.

Illawarra - broke.

The above are NOT Sydney teams. So the financial issues are not just a problem for Sydney clubs. Yes, the poker machine tax and smoking laws affect Sydney clubs right this minute, but let's not have hysterical Queenslanders death-ride Sydney teams the moment a bad story breaks. As you can see from my comments above, out of town teams have been in deep sh!t too.

So let's not have your bvllsh*t views about there being "no money in Sydney". Sydney is the biggest city in Australia and the financial and business capital of Australia. You are obviously a jealous Queenslander that has nothing better to do than go an a Sydney hate mission. Get rid of your Queensland inferiority complex.

As for the broncos, this is a club that has lived with a silver spoon in it's mouth since it's very existence. The Broncos have an unfair advantage over every team (Sydney and non-Sydney) in the comp. Fancy being the only team in a league-mad city of 2 million people? They tried to bring in the Crushers and the Broncos cried like sooks as soon as they had a bit of competition. The sooner we have a 2nd Brisbane team in the comp the better because a league-mad city of Brisbane deserves 2 teams. Brisbane can never proclaim to be the "League capital" if they can only field one football team in the comp.

And if Cronulla goes under well they have won zero comps and at least they are Super League team!

Scoozi. Double post.

Last edited:

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
Is it the Sharks that have all that land they're selling for redevelopment?

If so they're sweet as long as they have that but once it's gone there's not more safety nets & they'll have to find alternate sources of revenue.

Hey BrisVegas,

Illawarra - broke.

Spot on. Top post

Dubby, You should shut your sh!t hole.

coach

With the financial crisis being what it is I expect a few NRL clubs to go in the next couple of years.

Delboy

First Grade
Well Bart, it's like this, while you were overseas, I had a bit to do with the club industry from a financial standpoint.
A lot of clubs had put in place 10 to 20 year plans for their community and their members based on ruling taxation.
Without consultation and also adding a few tall tales about their ability to continue profitiability by increasing turnover by 3%, they brought in a new turnover tax at the same time as they were apparently being backed by the pub industry.
So we have clubs of all sorts that can't continue their planned progression, I am making the point that plenty of clubs had planned for the future and have been brought down by this tax.
I was purely an exercise masteminded by pollies who have no interest in the people who live west of Marrickville. By the way, I think my theory of financial mismanagement and lack of integrity are currently being proved correct.
I am also a passionate league supporter who did not like the arrogant attitude of Carr and Egan to the sporting communities.

mik01

Juniors
Hey BrisVegas,

WTF has this got to do with the fact that the Crushers died in the arse financially? nothing.
your flawed logic died right there my friend.
Why do you think the Gold Coast got a team before a 2nd Brissy team? cos there is no market for a clone Broncos - you need a point of differentiation when launching the same product as someone else - something to draw the masses and to market. Probably a reason Sydney clubs are doing it tough???

We don't want a 2nd team 'for the sake of it' - at the moment, there's no market for a 2nd team and those who have the cash know this. I agree that it would be great for the game to have a 2nd sometime in the future, when they can establish a need - and it would need to be on the North side of Brisbane

Brownie.Kougari

Juniors
WTF has this got to do with the fact that the Crushers died in the arse financially? nothing.
your flawed logic died right there my friend.
Why do you think the Gold Coast got a team before a 2nd Brissy team? cos there is no market for a clone Broncos - you need a point of differentiation when launching the same product as someone else - something to draw the masses and to market. Probably a reason Sydney clubs are doing it tough???

We don't want a 2nd team 'for the sake of it' - at the moment, there's no market for a 2nd team and those who have the cash know this. I agree that it would be great for the game to have a 2nd sometime in the future, when they can establish a need - and it would need to be on the North side of Brisbane

God no, there's sfa growth planned there and the Broncos own the Northside (Redcliffe + Norffs).

Any new SEQ team must be Ipswich, Sunshine Coast or Souths-Logan.

The Eastern and Bayside suburbs are unfortunately too small to have a team :( (though with a bigger league supporter base than some current teams I reckon!)

Latest posts