What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Frailty

First Grade
Cheat the cap for many years. Hire a new ceo who admits a problem and sweet as mate.

It's almost like those who self-report themselves for any wrongdoings are ever given favourable treatment when compared to those who try to hide it.

Delboy

First Grade
Very fortunate to have the cap reduction spread over 2 years, that will certainly benefit both th Sharks and Tigpies rather than getting smashed over 1 season and the impact on their roster from that.

Xcalibre

Juniors
It's almost like those who self-report themselves for any wrongdoings are ever given favourable treatment when compared to those who try to hide it.

Like who? Criminals? Big difference with self reporting something YOU did, compared to something your COMPANY did.

The punishment should be for the club and the people involved in the cheating, simple as that. Under the club’s name etc, the cheating occurred, not the current CEO.

M2D2

Bench
Like who? Criminals? Big difference with self reporting something YOU did, compared to something your COMPANY did.

The punishment should be for the club and the people involved in the cheating, simple as that. Under the club’s name etc, the cheating occurred, not the current CEO.
Hes at manly. Go annoy him there then.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So it's clear, here are the sanctions directly from the NRL:

Shane Flanagan
Former Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has had his registration cancelled for breaching the conditions of his 2014 suspension. The NRL will consider any future request to come back to the game on its merits but he will not return in the short term.

The proposed fine of $800,000 on the club for continuing to engage with Mr Flanagan during the period he was banned has been reduced to $500,000 after the club acknowledged and accepted its wrongdoing.

Sharks Salary Cap
The Integrity Unit has uncovered breaches of the salary cap rules over a number of years dating back to 2013. A list of proposed payments to players outside the salary cap was uncovered during the investigation. These did not affect the club's premiership winning year in 2016.

A breach notice proposing a fine of $750,000 has been issued to the club but $500,000 of this will be suspended because it was the club, led by CEO Barry Russell, which initially self-reported salary cap discrepancies to the NRL.

(This means the club faces total fines of $1.25m ($500,000 suspended) from today's announcements).

A $707,000 penalty has also been imposed on the club's salary cap to be spread over the 2019 and 2020 seasons ($353,500 per season).

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/32813-nrl-announce-sanctions/

Well that was a fizzer.

How in the world did it take 9 months for such an obvious penalty?
I’d suggest went through books, emails everything with a fine tooth come from 2013.

I can’t speak for all Sharks supporters but I for one am sick to death of the cheating, bulls hit behaviours that have taken place. With all the guilty parties already gone and (as far as I can tell) out of the game. The Sharks have an opportunity to move forward. If they repeat any of this bullshit they can get farked!

Xcalibre

Juniors
All good as far as Sharts fans are concerned though.

I’ll give them that, they are easily pleased/not easily displeased.

The club will have to cut at least one player before round 1, maybe 2 according to reports, but even if that happens, she’ll be right mate.

The club will have to cut at least one player before round 1, maybe 2 according to reports, but even if that happens, she’ll be right mate.
What are you on about?

It won’t make anything easy, but we just have to deal with it.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

Indeed, bring on 2019, year of the Shaun.

Quicksilver

Bench
It’s pissweak, just like your reply, your club and anyone connected with it. The day the club is folded in a few years time will be glorious. How’s that for support dickhead?

I apologised to you yesterday for all the harm my club and myself have caused you.

I am happy to do it again today and every day.

I am truly sorry.

MilkShark

First Grade

Bro why are you angry at the Sharks?

Xcalibre

Juniors
What are you on about?

It won’t make anything easy, but we just have to deal with it.

That’s how you and your brethren often act, except when you speak honestly like in the quote above.

Anyway.. it’s more of an issue with the NRL that I have, with their “lucky dip” punishment system.

Move on and bring on the footy.

M2D2

Bench
I apologised to you yesterday for all the harm my club and myself have caused you.

I am happy to do it again today and every day.

I am truly sorry.
tenor.gif

azza29

Juniors
It’s fantastic to see other supporters being understanding and supportive. Thanks Azza
The current administration might not be at fault but there was a deliberate and consistent attempt over multiple years to work around the salary cap. As an Essendon supporter who went through the five-year nightmare of a club trying to weasel out of the consequences of cheating, I can empathise with Sharks fans. But clubs need to learn to stop trying this shit and focus on getting the best results they can within the rules. Unfortunately I don’t think the “self-reporting discount” applied in this instance is going to discourage other clubs from similar antics in future.

MilkShark

First Grade
Not angry, just can’t stand a lot of the supporters.
That's cool but we all have shit supporters, hell even I hate some of our supporters.

But really there is no need to wish for our club to removed from the competition because of a few supporters you don't like.

We all love the same sport bro, support it, don't bash it.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Can't help but feel like the Sharks and Tigpies have gotten off easy because the NRL are just fed up with the negative press this year and didn't want to add too much more to it

Reactions: Vee