What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The NRL has cleared Cronulla’s 2016 season as being salary cap compliant, meaning their premiership title is not under question.

haha haters

d02d0a8a4163f8d4668614450ddb840d

The current administration might not be at fault but there was a deliberate and consistent attempt over multiple years to work around the salary cap. As an Essendon supporter who went through the five-year nightmare of a club trying to weasel out of the consequences of cheating, I can empathise with Sharks fans. But clubs need to learn to stop trying this shit and focus on getting the best results they can within the rules. Unfortunately I don’t think the “self-reporting discount” applied in this instance is going to discourage other clubs from similar antics in future.
I’m a little confused Azza, do you mean they should have gone easier on the Sharks, so it encourages others to self report?

I couldn’t in good conscious agree with that if it is your point.

I think the NRL and Commission have been more than fair to be honest

Can't help but feel like the Sharks and Tigpies have gotten off easy because the NRL are just fed up with the negative press this year and didn't want to add too much more to it

They were dealt with appropriate to what discrepencies were found. As for the Sharks yeah they had a softened blow for self reporting. Mind you for doing that we lost our coach, have 350k less in salary cap for the next two seasons, will lose a player & have to pay a $750k fine ($500k for Flanagan f**k up and $250k for Salary Cap breach.) Because of the bad press we also have a blank jersey currently.

If you ask for fairness. How about being a one city Club like the Broncos who have $1million in extra salary cap each year due to third party opportunities.

Not to mention.

The Thorougbreds.

&

Andrew Gee.

So please just f**k off back to your rat hole.

MilkShark

First Grade
Can't help but feel like the Sharks and Tigpies have gotten off easy because the NRL are just fed up with the negative press this year and didn't want to add too much more to it
I wouldn't say we have gotten off easy.

We lost our major sponsor, our coach, lose a player from the current roster, got 2 years of cap restrictions and another fine on top of that.

On top of all that we have bad media stories week, warranted sometimes but there really does appear to be a not so hidden agenda against the club.

If however we did get off lightly, perhaps its because of the self reporting. I don't know but that would be my guess.

GongPanther

Referee
The NRL has cleared Cronulla’s 2016 season as being salary cap compliant, meaning their premiership title is not under question.

haha haters

d02d0a8a4163f8d4668614450ddb840d
Question...if the Sharks had been under the cap from those previous years,how many players would have been missing from the 2016 premiership side?

Reactions: siv

GongPanther

Referee
You do realise they said the majority of the problems were from the 2017 season?
I thought there were cap problems from before then. I understood that was the case. If not,my apologies.

So the cap problems would have affected 2017 AND 2018? And if this is the case,then there will be a few other clubs,and their fans that will feel quite pissed off that they played a side that had an unfair advantage. Especially in the play-offs.

And yes,this IS about the Sharks club and not the fans so I'm not in here berating you guys.

All I want is clarification.

MilkShark

First Grade
I thought there were cap problems from before then. I understood that was the case. If not,my apologies.

So the cap problems would have affected 2017 AND 2018? And if this is the case,then there will be a few other clubs,and their fans that will feel quite pissed off that they played a side that had an unfair advantage. Especially in the play-offs.

And yes,this IS about the Sharks club and not the fans so I'm not in here berating you guys.

Fair questions.

How many teams did you guys play last year that were over the cap?

siv

First Grade
So per year since 2013 how much has Cronulla been over the cap ?

2013 - $
2014 - $
2015 - $
2016 - $0 ???
2017 - $
2018 - $

M2D2

Bench

They were all minor, they then talked about how the sharks set up a system (another company tied to 'someone' in power) in 2017 to get third party payments for players trying to sidestep the 'the club cant organize third party' agreements. Most of which didnt go through.

azza29

Juniors
I’m a little confused Azza, do you mean they should have gone easier on the Sharks, so it encourages others to self report?

I couldn’t in good conscious agree with that if it is your point.

I think the NRL and Commission have been more than fair to be honest
No, I was arguing the opposite - the self reporting discount seems overly generous, to the point where the overall penalty may not serve as enough of a deterrent to other clubs wanting to try the same tricks in future.

That said, the fact that we are still seeing cap breaches following the more severe punishment dropped on Melbourne (less than ten years ago) suggests that clubs still seem to think they can get away with it.

GongPanther

Referee
Fair questions.

How many teams did you guys play last year that were over the cap?
Parra,Wests and yours?...not 100%.

What was the point of your question? How many teams were over the cap,or which ones were over the cap to a point were it actually made a difference in their overall line up?

GongPanther

Referee
They were all minor, they then talked about how the sharks set up a system (another company tied to 'someone' in power) in 2017 to get third party payments for players trying to sidestep the 'the club cant organize third party' agreements. Most of which didnt go through.
Thanks. To be Frank,I couldn't be bothered reading this entire thread. Thanks for your post.

MilkShark

First Grade
Parra,Wests and yours?...not 100%.

What was the point of your question? How many teams were over the cap,or which ones were over the cap to a point were it actually made a difference in their overall line up?
The point is you think that you were hard done by playing a club over the cap. But the likelihood of you playing many more clubs over the cap than you thought is pretty much guaranteed.

And how do you know it made a difference to the Sharks roster? Were figures released?

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
The point is you think that you were hard done buy playing a club over the cap. But the likelihood of you playing many more clubs over the cap than you thought is pretty much guaranteed.

And how do you know it made a difference to the Sharks roster? Were figures released?
Of course one gets felt hard done by because it is called cheating if a club is caught over the cap to hang onto players.

And bringing the point about other clubs being over the cap is deflecting the discussion,and other clubs cap issues where not in the same ball park as your clubs,hence the penalties.

MilkShark

First Grade
Of course one gets felt hard done by because it is called cheating if a club is caught over the cap to hang onto players.

And bringing the point about other clubs being over the cap is deflecting the discussion,and other clubs cap issues where not in the same ball park as your clubs,hence the penalties.
Mate i'm not deflecting, i'm just saying you probably played a team over the cap every week nearly, and the team that played against you probably played a team over the cap also.

GongPanther

Referee
Sharks may even lose sponsors:thinking:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I've always liked the Sharks. Been here the same time as us,watched a grand final at the SCG which they lost (around very controversial circumstances). The last thing they need is sponsor loss. Remember,without them,we are weakened.

Latest posts