What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Ok I just googled up an article (I wish I had El Diablos google skills) and it seems the reason the NRL wouldn't allow Goodwin to be registered was because he was challenging the terms of his original contract.

So he might not be banned if he did take legal action.

jono

Juniors
What a load of absolute Crap.
Sledging is part of sport & the idea of sledging is to get underneath your skin, no matter what colour it is.
Just cant believe Gal wasted that sledge in a game that was already lost.
Look at the players that have been sledged & brought on field incidents ito the media domain over the years. Mundine(self promotion & headline hunter), Craigie the fat soft useless embarrassment to blacks always looking for the soft easy option, et al.

To these idiots think that Paea owned Gallen, FMD you soft, scared idiots. The big bad black man had wild eyes!!!!!!!
Gallen goes great in the boxing ring. probably one of the better fighters in the NRL, whilst Scott Prince is probably the best boxer in the NRL.
Gallen would get the points agains any of the paeas but it might take a few rounds longer than usual.

You must be more of a redneck than Gallen. Have you ever been subjected to racial abuse for no other reason than the colour of your hair or skin or the shape of your eyes?
Apart from which you have TOTALLY missed the gist of my post. And that is , I understand that sledging is the realm of the sporting field, but that I was taught the best way to deal with it was to NOT LET IT GET UNDER YOUR SKIN.
So unless black tip reefy refers to some sort of indigenous background , please don't make any criticisms unless you have personally experienced what I am talking about.

Kiki

First Grade
jono just ignore him hey, he ain't worth it. hes sexist, racist and a waste of space.

badav

Bench
Its interesting that Gallen wasnt asked what he said before he was fined.

Gallen is now denying using a racial term in the sledging.

This really has the chance of blowing up in the NRL's face , all becuase they react first and ask questions later.

I actually agree with this point.

The fine issued to Gallen was completely reactive by the NRL and no doubt a measure taken to try to mitigate more bad headlines for the game that were certain to follow this incident.

coolumsharkie

Referee
I'm over all the righteousness.

I hate oppression of people due to race, religion, sex, politics, sexuality, disability but this is rubbish. F**k off back to heaven you god like ones, human thoughts and actions may disturb your delicate sensibilities as you have never vilified anybody.

What do you think Aussie soldiers in Afghanistan are thinking in a gun battle with the taliban? "Citizens of Afghanistan, believers in Islam, we are here to liberate".

Sure war is an extreme case but people do think, do say things under duress. The level may vary.

Ever laughed at a joke about fat people, ever told a joke about fat people? Have you? Is that OK?

Hateful thoughts, gossip, bitching, judging others? Nope, all angels.

Please send some of your holy blessings my way.

Champion post.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
So unless black tip reefy refers to some sort of indigenous background.

what are you trying to infer? That because i'm black, I chose a name that has black in it to shove it up the whities ringos?

Well Jono, how would you like it if I said you called yourself jono, because you were a whitey wannabe?
How does a Chinese guy pick up a name like Jono? Why not herman?

FTR Jono i'm a red headed white black guy. Kiki would find me adorable.

jono

Juniors
what are you trying to infer? That because i'm black, I chose a name that has black in it to shove it up the whities ringos?

Well Jono, how would you like it if I said you called yourself jono, because you were a whitey wannabe?
How does a Chinese guy pick up a name like Jono? Why not herman?

If being a whitey wannabe means being like you , I'd gladly be as black as the ace of spades.
You know nothing about me , what I write tries to be concillatory , what you write is inciteful non-insightful redneck drivel.
And I will no longer waste my time and energy on acknowledging your existence

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/leaguehq/articles/2009/05/25/1243103475490.html

Gallen to contest fine for alleged racial abuse

Jacquelin Magnay, Jamie Pandaram and Brad Walter | May 26, 2009

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen claims he was misheard and will contest a $10,000 fine imposed by the NRL for allegedly racially abusing St George Illawarra forward Mickey Paea, complaining that he did not receive a hearing.

Fighting a sponsor backlash to the spate of bad news headlines of late, the NRL came in hard yesterday and fined Gallen despite Paea refraining from lodging an official complaint.

Gallen is believed to have told Paea yesterday that he didn't call him a "black c---", but rather a "f---ing c---" and intends to contest the breach notice.

When contacted by the Herald last night, Gallen made a tacky comment and hung up.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the game had no place for racial vilification and deemed that Gallen had breached the club's code of conduct.

However, Gallen's manager, David Riolo, who met with the player at the Sharks Leagues Club last night, called on the NRL to hold a proper hearing.

"To get a hearing, that would be fair," Riolo said. "He is disappointed, he is very disappointed especially about the way the incident has come across."

Riolo said Gallen deserved the chance to defend himself and present his version of events, rather than be slapped with a breach notice before an inquiry.

He said Gallen had spoken to Paea and it was now "all sweet between the players".

The disciplinary action cost Gallen any chance of captaining NSW. He was named in the Blues' starting side for next week's State of Origin opener despite carrying a shoulder injury. Paea, 23, of Tongan heritage, complained to the referee during Saturday night's match, won 26-4 by the Dragons, that Gallen made the racist remark but he refused to make a formal complaint when pressed. The Sharks, facing a series of crises on other fronts, and the Dragons refused to take the matter further.

Gallen had claimed after the game that his choice of words were "nothing".

"He stepped on my hand and I objected to it. There was a bit of push and shove. It was nothing. It was a tough game of footy," Gallen said after the match.

Gallop said Gallen had made an apology for his on-field comments. "While the apology is certainly an important step in the right direction, there needs to be a clear recognition that racial vilification is not tolerated in rugby league," Gallop said.

"This is not something that happens on a regular basis and it is not something that can be dismissed under the guise of, 'what happens on the field stays on the field'.

"I respect the fact that Mickey Paea has dealt with the issue 'one to one' and that he wishes to move on.

"However, the area of racial vilification is also something that is bigger than two individuals: it involves a principle that we must support across all areas of the game.

"I don't believe racism is a part of rugby league and I don't suggest that these sort of comments represent a racist view, but I do believe that it is important everyone knows there are boundaries that simply can't be crossed.

"Excuses such as 'the heat of the moment' or gamesmanship when they are offered simply don't change that fact."

Former NRL players Anthony Mundine and Sonny Bill Williams addressed the issue yesterday, saying the NRL was not doing enough to stamp out racism.

"[Perpetrators] need to be banned for so many matches, they need to pay a hefty fine and need to go to racial vilification course or do something to understand how brutal that can be mentally," Mundine said.

Williams, of Samoan heritage, said: "Polynesians as a whole are quiet, shy people. That's why there needs to be more emphasis from the NRL … where they step in and say 'you don't need to say anything, you are shy, we will do something'."

Williams said victims of a head-high tackle didn't have to make a formal complaint, "and this [incident] is a lot more serious than that [head high tackle] - it [racial vilification] has been going on for years and definitely something should be done about it."

SHEER GALL: THE TROUBLED TIMES OF PAUL GALLEN

2003: Sent off for a high shot on Knights utility Sean Rudder.

2004: Involved in a fight with Tigers prop John Skandalis, which the NRL judiciary ruled was instigated and carried on by Gallen. Suspended for two weeks.

2007: Accused of taking a dive following a high shot from Richie Williams in a match against the Dragons. After going down, Gallen rises and winks at the opposition. Gallen then puts a high shot on Ben Creagh and says days later: "We've got a motto here at the Sharks: do whatever it takes to win. That's what I've always done. We won the game. That's all I care about."

2007: Three weeks later, is suspended for one week for a high tackle on Warriors winger Patrick Ah Van.

2007: Involved in an on-field fight with Queensland players during State of Origin III after putting a high shot on Maroons forward Tonie Carroll.

2007: Banned for one match for head-butting Roosters forward Shane Shackleton.

2007: Involved in a fist-fight with teammate Reece Williams at the home of fellow player Dustin Cooper after a drinking session.

2008: In round three, Gallen tries to rip open the stitching on a head wound of opposite Anthony Laffranchi. Gold Coast centre Josh Graham accuses Gallen of grabbing his testicles during the same match, although the allegation was not proved.

2008: Slaps the head of Eels prop Josh Cordoba while he was lying unconscious on the ground.

2008: NSW Origin fans react angrily after Gallen gives away three crucial penalties in the series decider, with Queensland winning.

2009: Forced to apologise and fined $10,000 after allegedly racially abusing Dragons forward Mickey Paea.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
2003: Sent off for a high shot on Knights utility Sean Rudder.

2004: Involved in a fight with Tigers prop John Skandalis, which the NRL judiciary ruled was instigated and carried on by Gallen. Suspended for two weeks.

2007: Accused of taking a dive following a high shot from Richie Williams in a match against the Dragons. After going down, Gallen rises and winks at the opposition. Gallen then puts a high shot on Ben Creagh and says days later: "We've got a motto here at the Sharks: do whatever it takes to win. That's what I've always done. We won the game. That's all I care about."

2007: Three weeks later, is suspended for one week for a high tackle on Warriors winger Patrick Ah Van.

2007: Involved in an on-field fight with Queensland players during State of Origin III after putting a high shot on Maroons forward Tonie Carroll.

2007: Banned for one match for head-butting Roosters forward Shane Shackleton.

2007: Involved in a fist-fight with teammate Reece Williams at the home of fellow player Dustin Cooper after a drinking session.

2008: In round three, Gallen tries to rip open the stitching on a head wound of opposite Anthony Laffranchi. Gold Coast centre Josh Graham accuses Gallen of grabbing his testicles during the same match, although the allegation was not proved.

2008: Slaps the head of Eels prop Josh Cordoba while he was lying unconscious on the ground.

2008: NSW Origin fans react angrily after Gallen gives away three crucial penalties in the series decider, with Queensland winning.

2009: Forced to apologise and fined $10,000 after allegedly racially abusing Dragons forward Mickey Paea.

The type of player rugby league is desperately in need of. Legend.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
If being a whitey wannabe means being like you , I'd gladly be as black as the ace of spades.
You know nothing about me , what I write tries to be concillatory , what you write is inciteful non-insightful redneck drivel.
And I will no longer waste my time and energy on acknowledging your existence

I think you may have been picked on when you were growing up. Nothing to do with your heritage though. More to do with your whiny little nature.
Why Jono? WHY????

I'm pretty sure any registered player can be made to face the judiciary, or face punishment.

If they can , thats only makes this worse. If the NRL truly believe he racially abused Paea $10K is nowhere near enough.

As i said though , you need evidence at a hearing and the NRL have none. Therefore its much easier for them to slap a fine on him without even asking for his version of events.

Well you can have that opinion. Again, Gallen wants to fight the charge.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,25536195-11088,00.html

And again, Let us assume for the moment that clearing his good name is the real intention.

well thats up to him.

I hope he fights it so the NRL gets the message they cant railroad anyone at anytime.

Racial abuse has been reduced to nothing more than a minor incident by the NRL. I cant see how anyone could support that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
My so called fiction holds as much cred as Paeas lies.
Well Gallen is now claiming that Paea misheard him (lol). This means he doesn't doubt Paea's honesty... ie Gallen doesn't agree with you. Unless you've going to call Gallen a liar too.

So what do you think Gallen said?

Personally, I can't wait to hear what Gallen thinks rhymes with "you're a black ****"

Maybe he'll claim he was really chatting up Paea, and said, "you're a packed hunk" and it was all just a misunderstanding. Perhaps Paea doesn't understand Gallen's sensitive side. Sounds plausible.

Dazraider

Juniors
Dont get rid of gallen until origin is over, the blues need an arrgressive bastard like him and after origin ban him from playing all together or get him to live amongst the guys in the block for a year

Craigshark

First Grade
Do you have enough proof now Craigshark?

Do you think Gallen was just making a joke?

Then watch the footage. It was an accident.

Of course you can keep excusing the racial slur, it does seem to be your way after all.

Charrredcar, I'm curious as to why you avoided earlier questions. Cat got your tongue?

Well apparently the NRL are 100% certain. As are the vast majority of people posting in this forum. Where does that leave you?

And that'd be the sound of trucks backing up. It remains to be seen if anyone else will be joining you.

No i don't actually Willow. I am still yet to hear Gallens side of the story, or still yet to hear Gallen say what everyone is going off half cocked about what he said.

Buckshot

Juniors
With all of the bad press Cronulla have received lately and the well documented financial issues ,as a non Sharks supporter I felt sorry for what Sharks fans were going through .

After reading some of the crap in the previous pages from people supporting Gallen I will now happily watch Cronulla continue to self destruct !!

sting

Bench

I think you may have been picked on when you were growing up. Nothing to do with your heritage though. More to do with your whiny little nature.
Why Jono? WHY????

i reckon you were the one picked on when you were young reefy.

you were an ugly skinny little ranga who got picked on and beat up at school, so now you spend your older years being a hard man on the internet, picking on people with less posts than you. f**king sad c*%t!

lol, you poor ugly gronk.

Latest posts