What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Fans Views...It'll Make your Blood Boil

Are the Sharks Scum

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

millersnose

Post Whore
Rex said:
millersnose said:
Rex said:
I cant believed not one Sharkie supporter invited us Saints for a friendly beer before the game.

:shock:

hey rex

meet ya at southern gate 6 pm

your shout

so where were you? a no show. Like your team?

i was there at 6 on the dot

as you didnt acknowledge my invite i thought you were a no show

i was actually there for a good 10 minutes as i had arranged to meet another mate there

were you in disguise?

was melon coming?

Rexxy

Coach
millersnose said:
Rex said:
millersnose said:
Rex said:
I cant believed not one Sharkie supporter invited us Saints for a friendly beer before the game.

:shock:

hey rex

meet ya at southern gate 6 pm

your shout

so where were you? a no show. Like your team?

i was there at 6 on the dot

as you didnt acknowledge my invite i thought you were a no show

i was actually there for a good 10 minutes as i had arranged to meet another mate there

were you in disguise?

was melon coming?

I didnt know I was going to the game, 100%, until about 3pm. So no RSVP.

I was there from 6 to 615, indside the Southern gates.
As I said somewhere else i nearly got harrassed to death by The Telstra Marketing crew.

Melon? How would he know what i looked like?

Anonymous

Juniors
spirit of league said:
you want some facts ?
Sure, but do you want some facts?
spirit of league said:
the sharks have won squat (ok then, one little amco cup :roll: )
You forgot the Endeavour Cup. But most would. At least it evens up the trophy cabinet.
spirit of league said:
...but since then you've managed one premiership... 27 years ago.
Two premierships, 1977 and 1979. In all, 9 grand finals since 1967. How many have the Sharks competed in?
Oh thats right, you're the club with the 'excuse culture'.
spirit of league said:
...in fact, you now also hold the world record for highest number of consecutive losing appearances in championship deciding matches (ie lost grand finals)
The Dragons have competed in more grand finals than any other team. About double that of their nearest rival Canterbury. Again, the Sharks aren't even on the same ballpark.
Also, Saints have won more Club Championships than any other club. These are proud stats... nothing negative about them at all.

spirit of league said:
...for all this premature gloating and self-congratulating you're actually only barely better off than the sharks, only that you've squandered way more potential. the sharks may very well suck but so do you and THAT'S why you're so damn frustrated.
I see, by your logic, its OK to support a team of losers like the Sharks because Saints have lost some grand finals. Are you on medication?
I support a team which is seen more often on grand final day than other team. You support the most unsuccessful club in the history of the competition. 37 years and nothing... absolute zilch.
Now imo, that must be infinitely more frustrating.

spirit of league said:
...and for the record in that same time your "successful sister clubs" the yankees, lakers and man u have won multiple consecutive championships over several different decades. in hindsight, an almost delusional comparison.
And that was relevant? I think its clear who is deluding themselves.
42-12 :lol:

ok whatever 25 years then. split hairs all you like but i'd say that's still long enough between drinks for a supposed league superpower. if we want to get more pedantic on facts we can always add the sharks reserve grade and flegg trophies to our rather barren cabinet but i'm sure we all get the picture ie we've never won the one that counts.

i'm not trying to pretend to be an expert on rugby league stats or history, nor am i denying saints great historical record, but basically that's your problem... your record has become historical.

it's not me that's delusional because i know how little the sharks have achieved where it really matters, it's just that i support them regardless because they're my team. the same way i imagine you support saints regardless of success or disappointment.

the same way we don't like saints and you don't like the sharks. it shouldn't be taken personally, at the end of the day it's a game, rivalries make it more interesting and that's just the way it is.

just don't kid yourselves that you're still the same dominant force that you were during your golden age - ie back in the days when darcy lawler used to back you to win the comp before he refereed the grand final. i know you'll probably get yourself twisted up in knots over that little piece of information but it is now common knowledge in rugby league circles. unfortunately it casts a terrible shadow over an amazingly talented st george dynasty that in all probability would have still achieved great things without the additional 'assistance'. sadly we'll never know for sure.

and it sure wasn't me that brought up the comparison between saints and other currently successful sporting organisations on the world stage. i think it was godzilla or some other saints fan with delusions of grandeur.

if you're the best team this year and take out the title then i will applaud the achievement as i applauded saints game last saturday, but you're still a long way off doing any better this year than you have for the last quarter of a century and i just don't think egg-on-the-face would be such a good look for saints supporters.. again !

i hope you have a better run of luck with injuries this year. pity we won't see firman back because i think he's a special player, but head looks an exciting prospect also.

all the best

Anonymous

Juniors
spirit of league said:
if we want to get more pedantic on facts...
Nothing pendantic about it, facts are facts.
If you started off by saying, "Do you want some vague recollections?" - then I'd understand.

spirit of league said:
i'm not trying to pretend to be an expert on rugby league stats or history
That's a relief. ;-)
spirit of league said:
your record has become historical.
Well records do have a tendancy to become historical.

spirit of league said:
the same way we don't like saints and you don't like the sharks.
I never said I don't like the Sharks. I've been a strong advocate of their move to the Gold Coast for years.
spirit of league said:
ie back in the days when darcy lawler used to back you to win the comp before he refereed the grand final. i know you'll probably get yourself twisted up in knots over that little piece of information but it is now common knowledge in rugby league circles. unfortunately it casts a terrible shadow over an amazingly talented st george dynasty that in all probability would have still achieved great things without the additional 'assistance'.
Don't tell me, you heard that on some forum from someone who was told so by his Dad.
:lol:
You're referring to the 1963 Grand Final when Wests blew up after Darcy Lawler was alleged to have had a bet on the outcome... I've read all about it... unfortunately old Darcy died before he could tell his side of the story. But hey, you can have your dreams.

Seriously though, blaming the ref is almost always a pathetic argument.
Between 1956-66 St George consistently scored the mosts points and conceded the least every season.
They consistently won the minor premership.
They were the best team of their era and this was reflected by the number of internationals they produced.
Their record speaks for itself.
The facts simply dont back up your incredibly inane 'terrible shadow' slur.

Darcy Lawler retired and wasn't even the ref for four of those wins in the latter part of the premiership run - and its documented that he penalised St George heavily in the early part of their run. Darcy might have been dodgy but he gave it to all sides depending on the match. And like I said, his critics are having a go at a dead man.

spirit of league said:
sadly we'll never know for sure.
I can see you don't know... it's not neccessary to confirm this.
But like I said, a great deal is known... the facts for starters. And none of it farmed from pub gossip.

spirit of league said:
i just don't think egg-on-the-face would be such a good look for saints supporters.. again !
I'm not familiar with this. You'll have to tell me what that's like from the inside looking out.

spirit of league said:
i hope you have a better run of luck with injuries this year. pity we won't see firman back because i think he's a special player, but head looks an exciting prospect also.
Ditto, nothing good about players getting injured regardless of which team it is.

Cheers.

:blahb: :blahb: :blahb:

New world Record : Dragons fans talk the most s**t than any other club in the world!

One critical problem for Dragons, they cant accept criticism!!!!! Poor quality people are like this!

Southernsaint

Staff member
SATW - it's over, you LOSE!!

Time for you to concentrate on the next flogging your rabble is going to cop. Saints have bigger flake to fry now...

Tell Noddy & Rapes that the end of season trip should be right to be booked for September. :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

well shucks willow you're the out of context quote reply pathetic joke champ.

btw i think you and i both know that particular 'rumour' isn't farmed from pub gossip. more like on public record from leading rep players, journalists, other fellow referees and even an ex st george coach.

but you're right there's no real way to prove it either way. i don't recall lawler's family ever attempting to defend the accusations but of course there could be any number of reasons for this.

anyhoo, i don't want to get caught up in this so by all means knock yourself out and enjoy having the last the word :lol:

Rexxy

Coach
spirit of league said:
well shucks willow you're the out of context quote reply pathetic joke champ.

btw i think you and i both know that particular 'rumour' isn't farmed from pub gossip. more like on public record from leading rep players, journalists, other fellow referees and even an ex st george coach.

but you're right there's no real way to prove it either way. i don't recall lawler's family ever attempting to defend the accusations but of course there could be any number of reasons for this.

anyhoo, i don't want to get caught up in this so by all means knock yourself out and enjoy having the last the word :lol:

The onus is isn't for someone's family to prove they did the right thing, it's up to people who want to defame the dead to put up or shut up.

Southernsaint

Staff member
spirit of league said:

Noel "Ned" Kelly always jumps at the chance to have a whinge about it. Isn't it funny that he was on the wrong side of the scoreboard a few times against us :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
spirit of league said:
...i think you and i both know that particular 'rumour' isn't farmed from pub gossip. more like on public record from leading rep players, journalists, other fellow referees and even an ex st george coach.

I don't think you're keeping up.
You inferred that it was a blot on the 11 premierships and on that point, you have been shown otherwise.
spirit of league said:
LOL. Thats fibspeak for "better cut my losses and scarper." :lol:

Southernsaint

Staff member
Sharkies all the Way said:
"Saints have bigger flake to fry now... "

U invading your next oponents forum with your s**t. :lol: :lol: .

You're still here?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Ben S.

Is Dimitri and Ribs still invading our forum? #-o #-o I think so!!! Goes both ways! And at least Im not posting stupid TOPICS! Id like to highlight something I think is quite funny about u Dragons supporters, u seem to be able to argue or at least oppose everything! If I was to say the Earth is round and the sky blue are you all gona protest about this? :lol: . Thats how stupid u all seem!

Anonymous

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
spirit of league said:

Noel "Ned" Kelly always jumps at the chance to have a whinge about it. Isn't it funny that he was on the wrong side of the scoreboard a few times against us :roll:

Cheers,
Ben S.
As I'm sure you know, Kelly claimed that he got wind that Lawler had a bet on the 1963 grand final and hit the roof.

When Johhny King scored the winning try, he was felled but not held. Wests players thought they heard the referee call 'held' but King didnt hear that and he kept running. He was awarded the try after fending off more cover defence on the way.

The thing is, it was shocking muddy conditions and a huge crowd noise. Looking at the footage, it was a ref's call if he was tackled or not, and very debatable if anyone was hearing anything clearly. It looked to me like King was playing to the whistle and the Wests defence was buggered.

Kelly was obviously upset about losing. It was supposed to be Wests' year. They had beaten Saints twice during the season - and Darcy Lawler was the referee in one of those games (it was the only two matches Saints lost that year).

Also, Wests had spent big money on attracting players... they were throwing everything at the title and were totally focussed on defeating St George.

But the facts once again point to Saints being the best team that year. They were minor premiers on 31 points.
They scored a massive 434 points in attack while only conceding a mere 95 points.
Coming into the semis, Wests were 2nd on 28 points had a 256 and 160 for and against.... not even close to Saints.

Plus naturally, Saints encountered all the referees of the day.
So the theory that Lawler assisted Saints in 1963 simply doesnt stand up to scrutiny.

Kelly and King were being interviewed about 10 years ago and were joking about it but still maintained their views. Neither were lying and it comes down what they thought they heard.

Nevertheless, one decision in one match doesnt make all the other facts go away.

magpiemax

Juniors
Benny said:
from leagueunlimited.com

Sharks vs Dragons: Debunking some of the myths
Written by: Michael Garbutt
04/28/04 Views: 33

Leading into this week’s Cronulla vs St George Illawarra game, as part of an ongoing preview, I thought it would be best to look at and debunk some of the myths surrounding the St George Illawarra Dragons, when compared to their rivals. After some research, here is what I found out.

Myth: St George Illawarra has a history which dates back to 1921.

Truth: All official NRL records and statistics indicate that the joint venture came into existence in 1999, as a 50/50 merge between the St George and Illawarra clubs. While the St George club, which dates back to 1921, remains in existence in the junior grades and as a 50% stakeholder in the St George Illawarra club, it no longer holds a position in the First Grade. As a result of this, St George Illawarra has zero premierships against its name, despite what some vocal Dragons’ supporters may insist. This is confirmed by the NRL’s official information handbook, the 2003 Media Guide.

Myth: St George Illawarra has been the better team.

Truth: Since 1999, the Dragons have played 132 games, winning 64 of them. This equates to a winning percentage of just under half – 48.49%. In comparison, Cronulla have competed 133 games, winning 73 of them. This is a winning percentage of 54.89%. From this, it is clear that Cronulla have been the better performing team since St George Illawarra arrived on the scene.

Myth: St George Illawarra is the dominant of the two clubs.

Truth: Since St George Illawarra’s inception, the two clubs have played twelve matches. From that twelve, Cronulla have won 8, St George Illawarra 3 and there has been a single draw. The Sharks have won 67% compared to the Dragons’ measly 25%. Furthermore, in matches played between the two clubs, Cronulla have scored 281 points, while St George Illawarra have managed only 229. Therefore, we can conclude that Cronulla are in fact the dominant club.

Myth: St George Illawarra sticks to their famous jersey, while Cronulla appear to change every other year.

Truth: Since St George Illawarra’s inception, both clubs have used different jerseys. Cronulla have worn five jerseys: the Pepsi jersey, the shark fin jersey, the current gills design, the 2002 commemorative jersey and the current white away strip. In the same period of time, the Dragons have worn six different jerseys: the red vee, the Where’s Wally away jersey, the Steelers commemorative strip and three ANZAC day limited edition jerseys. Whereas the Dragons red vee jersey has been a mainstay throughout the period, Dragons administration has used special edition jerseys to suck money out of fans that otherwise wouldn’t be purchasing new merchandise. We can conclude that Cronulla has, in fact, used fewer jerseys in the same period of time.

Myth: St George Illawarra is a more heavily supported team.

Truth: Since 1999, Cronulla has had better crowd attendances in every year except for 2003. Aggregate crowd figures put Cronulla a long way in front – not including 2004, Cronulla’s total aggregate for this period is 821 388. This is compared to St George Illawarra’s total of 731 666 – almost 90 000 in favour of Cronulla. Therefore, it is easy to conclude that Cronulla are the more heavily supported team.

Myth: St George fans fought Illawarra fans at the corresponding game Sharks vs Dragons game last season.

Truth: Unfortunately for Dragons fans, this one is the truth, and indicative of the rabble that the joint venture is. As the team fell behind on the scoreboard, tempers flared, and punches were thrown. A united club? Far from it.

I put this little post in the Sharks section - get in there and have some fun!

I was reading the garbage written by some dickhead called Garbett on League Unlimited and i thought i would add a few new things:

St George Illawarra is a continuation of St George and if you look at our history books it dates back to 1921 and we are in the process of having this confirmed by the NRL

Since you broke away from us to have no success we sh*t all over you on how many games we have won - so you have the wood on us in the last few years so what - it was 1-1 last year and its about to be 1-0 to us after this weekend.

Our Red V has been our jersey since the 1940's and is a mainstay and bringing in 1 off commemorative jersey just shows what a f***wit you in fact are

As for crowd support its common knowledge that we only announce the crowd figure as paying customers, not everyone who gets in on freebies. Also when the study was done a few years back St George was the number 1 supported team in NSW. We are well supported throughout Australia not just in the Shire like you guys - last year we had the highest attendances at away games than any other club - f**k we have a Supporters Club in Germany

Your club is so scum it went broke not once but twice and both times the NSWRL and ARL bailed you out so you could survive and you repay them by joining Stupid League - nice touch that

You have a ground built on a swamp, overhead wires in the middle of your hill - no wondered its called scum park

Whats the definition of stupid - Sharks having a trophy cabinet :lol:
Everything he wrote is true 100% though. :?

Anonymous

Juniors
Rubbish. 100% true? :lol:
Even Mr Garbutt knows he was stirring the pot. Only fools and horses would take it all as gospel.

Nugby

Juniors
great, SATW had probably forgotten about this and now it's back at the top of the forum list. f***