What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks for sale

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/nrl-turn-down-sharks-move/2009/05/07/1241289300631.html

Sharks for sale

Jacquelin Magnay | May 8, 2009

CRONULLA-SUTHERLAND chief executive Tony Zappia has proclaimed the Sharks are now "for sale" and he will be seeking cashed-up equity partners in the club following a swift rejection of plans to relocate five home games to the Central Coast.

Zappia said he was extremely disappointed at the decision of the NRL's partnership executive, which yesterday afternoon decided not to support an $800,000 part-relocation idea at this stage.

"I am very disappointed, but it was an opportunity that we needed to look at, and not getting approval is a hurdle we need to overcome," Zappia said.

Plan B for the Sharks is to seek financial backers prepared to buy a stake in the club, which is potentially asset rich - with undeveloped land beside the leagues club - but cash poor.

Last year, the Sharks lost $1.4 million, turned $6 million in the bank into a $2 million overdraft and have more than $12 million of short-term debt that has still to be refinanced.

Zappia is looking for some guaranteed income to satisfy the bankers that the football club and leagues club entities can operate as a going concern. Long term, the club is looking to develop the land with a $110 million proposal before Sutherland Council.

"We have to be proactive, it is tough, but I want to see if there is anyone out there who wants equity in the Sharks, I will be knocking on everyone's door," Zappia said.

"The Sharks board hasn't canvassed it, but it is part of my responsibility to look at whatever is out there."

When asked how much he thought the club was worth, he replied : "I don't know, I have to sit down and think about it."

Zappia said in order to generate more immediate cash flow he may look to play more games in Adelaide - where the South Australian government has been offering financial incentives - and removing the Sharks' home-ground advantage when they are due to play the Brisbane Broncos in late June, relocating the match from Toyota Stadium to Suncorp Stadium.

"Adelaide is a possibility, or playing Brisbane in Brisbane, not at Toyota, might be something, they get reasonable crowds up there, much more than we do," Zappia said.

Zappia might look at the history books of the Sharks before knocking on too many doors. Back in 1986 the flamboyant doctor Geoffrey Edelsten presented his wife Leanne with her second wedding anniversary gift - the Cronulla-Sutherland rugby league team - draped in her favourite colour of pink at a Sydney hotel.

Her immediate comment? "They're a good-looking bunch of boys."

However, the deal for private ownership fell through.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said the code was not prepared to put money into Cronulla's Central Coast plan because it wasn't justified for such a short-term, ad hoc approach.

The partnership executive felt that the money wouldn't necessarily solve the Sharks' financial woes either.

However, it is understood the NRL is sympathetic to the Sharks' plight and are willing to look at various other measures to help them trade out of trouble.

Under the current broadcast deal the NRL is contractually obliged to provide eight games a week.

"The partnership executive committee has only had the opportunity to look at Cronulla's proposal on a preliminary basis, but it appeared that it was neither one thing or the other, it doesn't solve Cronulla's issues nor did it give the game what it was looking for, which was a fully-fledged team on the Central Coast," Gallop said.

"We will work with Cronulla and see where they are at and their options, but we don't see any value in pursuing the Central Coast."

Gallop said the Bulldogs had previously switched home games to south-east Queensland because of the more lucrative gate receipts and a proposal to do the same for the Sharks' clash with the Broncos would be considered favourably.

As for a partial or full sale of the club? "The NRL would not discourage that," Gallop said.

It is understood that the Sharks' main creditor, St George Bank, has put together a deal to refinance the club's short-term debt, but the terms of such a proposal, including the interest rate, are unclear at this point.

I'll start with 50 cents

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'd be mad to put your money in unless you was after a slice of the redevelopment pie.

MsStorm

Bench
This is real serious stuff and no one should be joking about it.
I feel for the Sharks team and the supporters who go to games regularly.

I really have no answers to what can be done, just wish them all the best.
And to those supposed sharks supporters who only turn up now and again to games and when their team is winning, you will be so sorry you weren't there in their hour of need.

You won't have a team to support.

effnic

Bench
Yep it is sad how people can joke around and be f**kwits about this situation, i dont care how much you hate the sharks, we are all supposed to be rugby league fans and just imagine the feeling you would have if your were on the verge of having no team at all. Laugh and joke all you want and keep thinking to yourself your team will be safe forever. What goes around comes around.

Brutus

Referee
Maybe Sharks supporters should actually attend the club's remaining home games in big numbers.

Show they really care.

The Tank

Bench
I'm hoping there's smart businessmen/women out there who can turn around the Sharks fortunes... I'd hate to see Cronulla leave the Shire.

Coaster

Bench
The first thing a new owner would do is move them, and develop all the land including shark park.

The team itself is nothing but a financial burden, the land is a gold mine. Full relocation is a very real possibility.

Kelly Patrol

Juniors
I'd like to know what the attendances are like pre Dicky and what they are now .....I would have thought the draw of a self proclaimed 'super coach' would be able to add to the crowds.......... With the club in financial jeopardy , Dicky should return his 'super coach ' salary and step aside for the return of Langy.

Version 6

Staff member
This "if you're a real rugby league fan you'll want Cronulla to survive" stuff is nonsense.

As a rugby league fan, I want Parramatta, Manly, Canterbury and Souths to survive. That is, clubs that actually add something worthwhile to the rugby league landscape. Clubs that contribute significant juniors, heritage, history, geographic presence...

Cronulla offer absolutely none of that.

I'm happy for them to stay if they actually add something worthwhile by relocating to an expansion area. Sydney is congested at the moment and the Sharks are prime relocation candidates, given they are geographically swallowed by St George Illawarra.

Cronulla, unlike the clubs mentioned above, are a giant ball of meh. In fact, sometimes I forget they are even in the competition. Then I remember, and I laugh for a little bit.

NGR

Juniors
as a souths supporter who has been through losing their team.. cant help but feel for the sharks supporters..

Parra

Referee
Should never have let them back in anyway.

Nothing wrong with natural attrition. It has happened before and will happen again.

Danish

Referee
Singleton should buy them out then move them to the central coast, complete with name and colour change.

That way he can sidestep the whole bidding process for the central coast

Generalzod

Immortal
Yep it is sad how people can joke around and be f**kwits about this situation, i dont care how much you hate the sharks, we are all supposed to be rugby league fans and just imagine the feeling you would have if your were on the verge of having no team at all. Laugh and joke all you want and keep thinking to yourself your team will be safe forever. What goes around comes around.

Well said effnic, All you league supporters that think that there club is safe your all living in cinderella land....

carcharias

Immortal
This "if you're a real rugby league fan you'll want Cronulla to survive" stuff is nonsense.

As a rugby league fan, I want Parramatta, Manly, Canterbury and Souths to survive. That is, clubs that actually add something worthwhile to the rugby league landscape. Clubs that contribute significant juniors, heritage, history, geographic presence...

I'm happy for them to stay if they actually add something worthwhile by relocating to an expansion area. Sydney is congested at the moment and the Sharks are prime relocation candidates, given they are geographically swallowed by St George Illawarra.

Cronulla, unlike the clubs mentioned above, are a giant ball of meh. In fact, sometimes I forget they are even in the competition. Then I remember, and I laugh for a little bit.

I will take you around Engadine , Caringbah , Cronulla etc on a sat morn and show you all the kids playing footy.

I bet my balls there are more there than in Canterbury or Redfern.

Look at the st george area...they are in a dying junior league area.
Chinese dont play footy.

I am not being a smartarse here.

It is a big worry for league.

Walk though Hurstville.

My parents are Dragons fans and grew up in the golden era of the DRagons and the area.
It will be dire in another 10 years.

The islanders will be the only kids playing locally.

Generalzod

Immortal

What do you mean Cronulla offer nothing, Ok so we haven't won a premiership, The area has a significant league junior base..The amount of Cronulla players that have put on the green and gold jersey...Cronulla most certainly contributed nothing....Your not a Rugby League supporter.

Version 6

Staff member
I will take you around Engadine , Caringbah , Cronulla etc on a sat morn and show you all the kids playing footy.

I bet my balls there are more there than in Canterbury or Redfern.

Look at the st george area...they are in a dying junior league area.
Chinese dont play footy.

I am not being a smartarse here.

It is a big worry for league.

Walk though Hurstville.

My parents are Dragons fans and grew up in the golden era of the DRagons and the area.
It will be dire in another 10 years.

The islanders will be the only kids playing locally.

St George Illawarra will be glad to have all of them.

Well, not the ones with webbed feet. But the rest.

Latest posts