What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks for sale

SL achieved everything it was set up to achieve - it got rugby league on Foxtel. That was it's one and only reason for existence.

Yeah, people tend to forget that SL promised the likes of ET that he would recognized in Tierra del Fuego or Upper Volta once they took RL to the world.

carcharias

Immortal
SL achieved everything it was set up to achieve - it got rugby league on Foxtel. That was it's one and only reason for existence.

Do you have problem with being able to see every single game at home now?

...or don't you like footy.

Do you have problem with being able to see every single game at home now?

...or don't you like footy.

I love the footy, just hate the SL lies that conned the likes of your greedy, self-interested club into abandoning the comp that propped them up every time they went broke. Why haven't NEWS ltd bailed you out? My point still stands, the game is not famous overseas, which was their big selling proposition. Also, OPTUS would've put every game on if NEWS didn't anyway. Next year when your club doesn't exist, will you still like footy?

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I love the footy, just hate the SL lies that conned the likes of your greedy, self-interested club into abandoning the comp that propped them up every time they went broke. Why haven't NEWS ltd bailed you out? My point still stands, the game is not famous overseas, which was their big selling proposition. Also, OPTUS would've put every game on if NEWS didn't anyway. Next year when your club doesn't exist, will you still like footy?

maybe if your mob (whoever it is) had a bit of vision... SL may have worked.

Instead 10 years later it is pretty much exactly the same.

SL had one year ..it tried a lot of stuff and pumped a fortune into the game trying to make it a global success.

well done.

bartman

Immortal
Singleton should buy them out then move them to the central coast, complete with name and colour change.

That way he can sidestep the whole bidding process for the central coast
I think you might be onto something there... what a top investment for Singo.

Buy up the Sharks, sell the land from under them, full relocation to claim the $8mil from NRL, change the logo and colours, and use the proceeds to fund the CC Bears without needing to wait for money from a new TV deal to join the comp. Stick a Shire Sharks team in the feeder comp, sorted.

Things must be desperate for the Sharks to resort to opening up bids to buy the club... I feel for their committed fans.

maybe if your mob (whoever it is) had a bit of vision... SL may have worked.

Instead 10 years later it is pretty much exactly the same.

SL had one year ..it tried a lot of stuff and pumped a fortune into the game trying to make it a global success.

well done.

No mate, SL have had more than one year as they won the bloody war. SL pumped money in so they could kill off OPTUS and get pay TV for themselves. That was what they gave a sh1t about. Not your club and my club but profit for themselves.
They've done nothing for the development of the game, refuse to give a fair TV deal so the game can do something at grass roots level as well as some proper marketing. They claimed they would take the game to the world and WA and SA are still waiting for a team?

fatshark

Bench
This "if you're a real rugby league fan you'll want Cronulla to survive" stuff is nonsense.

As a rugby league fan, I want Parramatta, Manly, Canterbury and Souths to survive. That is, clubs that actually add something worthwhile to the rugby league landscape. Clubs that contribute significant juniors, heritage, history, geographic presence...

Cronulla offer absolutely none of that.

I'm happy for them to stay if they actually add something worthwhile by relocating to an expansion area. Sydney is congested at the moment and the Sharks are prime relocation candidates, given they are geographically swallowed by St George Illawarra.

Cronulla, unlike the clubs mentioned above, are a giant ball of meh. In fact, sometimes I forget they are even in the competition. Then I remember, and I laugh for a little bit.
yes because heritage and history will save "the greatest game of all"
fans like you that destroy the game, and as for swallowed by StGeorge...go back to geography lessons knob.

fatshark

Bench
I think you might be onto something there... what a top investment for Singo.

Buy up the Sharks, sell the land from under them, full relocation to claim the $8mil from NRL, change the logo and colours, and use the proceeds to fund the CC Bears without needing to wait for money from a new TV deal to join the comp. Stick a Shire Sharks team in the feeder comp, sorted.

Things must be desperate for the Sharks to resort to opening up bids to buy the club... I feel for their committed fans.

Um somehow dont think that this will happen...

fatshark

Bench
so he played rl for about 2 years up there (or both) before playing union.
then back to sharks?
he definitely played in the shire as a kid before anywhere else.

yeah used to watch him as a kid , played for Engadine Dragons. score was always Matt Rogers- 34 other team- 2.

yes because heritage and history will save "the greatest game of all"
fans like you that destroy the game, and as for swallowed by StGeorge...go back to geography lessons knob.

No, he's got his geography about right. They're north and south of you right?

fatshark

Bench
How can the NRL really afford to keep the Sharks in Cronulla? They represent an area with bugger-all people in it, hemmed in on all sides by rivals, an ageing population, and no room to expand their fan base significantly.

Dont be fooled by the NRL's "show of support", they are smart and are sharpening the knife. There are more important fish to fry in Sydney and beyond - the NRL can afford to lose Cronulla from the comp. The AFL cant put a team in Cronulla, and the Sharks crowds show that most dont care anyway. You'd lose maybe 10k diehards from the code but thats it.

Ok smartarse so, whats the poulation of the Shire?
Is the Shire one of the fastest growing ares in Sydney?
Whats the average age?
Whats the average weekly pay?
Which area has a high school which has won the title for the last 5 years?
As Gallop said you cut us out you lose the area. Simple.
No more juniors, lowered tv subscritions, list goes on.

fatshark

Bench
Why exactly? What's stopping Singo if the club is now "for sale"?
Well I cant see Singo doing it for a startrs, hes been hit hard . But what I mean is that there would be certain condtions the board would put on the sale. I also dont think they want an outright sale to one particular person.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Ok smartarse so, whats the poulation of the Shire?
Is the Shire one of the fastest growing ares in Sydney?
Whats the average age?
Whats the average weekly pay?
Which area has a high school which has won the title for the last 5 years?
As Gallop said you cut us out you lose the area. Simple.
No more juniors, lowered tv subscritions, list goes on.

And none of that is going to change if the Sharks exist at Cronulla or not. People aren't going to stop watching footy, there are plenty of areas like the Central Coast which aren't represented but still watch, Cronulla with easy access to other teams home grounds will only have a minimal impact on League in Sydney if they were to move or die.

And now the worst thing for Cronulla is that they have to make a decision soon, that will impact them forever. Moving the games to the Central Coast, or other teams home grounds may sound like a great idea, but really you are removing the club from the region. And thus actually worsen the support for them, as they are then seen as a club that will do anything for a quick buck.

Cronulla just need to bite the bullet, talk to regions that are looking for a team, and get the best deal they can. I am sure areas like the Sunshine Coast, NZ, Adelaide etc would all be more than willing to put a proposal down if given the chance. And then you can be assured of the Sharks future as the XXXX Sharks.

MrBubbles

Juniors
Yep it is sad how people can joke around and be f**kwits about this situation, i dont care how much you hate the sharks, we are all supposed to be rugby league fans and just imagine the feeling you would have if your were on the verge of having no team at all. Laugh and joke all you want and keep thinking to yourself your team will be safe forever. What goes around comes around.
What goes around comes around. As someone who lost their club to the knives in the back from the treacherous Sharks, it brings a smile to my face.

Generalzod

Immortal
Yeah, but where did they finish? You would expect in a good year to get much better crowds, yet they still got 3 under 10K last season.

As for Storm, I think with the new stadium, things will change a lot, and unfortunately it will be Sydney teams looking poorer overall.

I'm sure that your crowds were great for coming last in 2008.