What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks on the move from Rothfield

Quicksilver

Bench
The hardcore fans will still go wherever it is.
No way I’d buy season tix to kogarah
No chance.
I sit with a group of about 10
None will go to Kogarah ... I guarantee it.

They can't be that hardcore if they won't even travel 10 minutes by train from the shire.

It's not a great situation, but I don't see a good alternative. I think probably about 5 or 6 games should be at Kogarah. That way the Shire based fans can still get there relatively easily. That's where the bulk of our support is based. By all means, take some on the road and get whatever money is available, but there isn't a good alternative at the moment.

Kogarah isn't really all that bad.

carcharias

Immortal
They can't be that hardcore if they won't even travel 10 minutes by train from the shire.

It's not a great situation, but I don't see a good alternative. I think probably about 5 or 6 games should be at Kogarah. That way the Shire based fans can still get there relatively easily. That's where the bulk of our support is based. By all means, take some on the road and get whatever money is available, but there isn't a good alternative at the moment.

Kogarah isn't really all that bad.

I’m not sure where people are getting these
10 mins by train
20 mins by car figures
Because there is no way on earth that is possible.
It takes 20 mins just to drive past northies on weekends.

I drove from Penshurst to Burraneer @2pm yesterday.
Against all the traffic.

I purposely went back streets to avoid lights and traffic.
32 minutes.

Try doing it in the opposite direction on a Friday night or a weekend.

My friends live walking distance to Shark park.
In fact I park in their driveway.
That’s the entire reason got season tix, so they could walk to the game.

Frenzy.

Immortal
The hardcore fans will still go wherever it is.
No way I’d buy season tix to kogarah
No chance.
I sit with a group of about 10
None will go to Kogarah ... I guarantee it.

Brings up a concern. Not having a go at you carch, just being observational.

If any sort of decent percentage of Sharks fans are like carch and his mates and won't go to Kogarah we may play into the NRLs plans. We probably barely meet the criteria for crowds now, playing where we want. How does it look to the NRL if the crowd numbers fall even more?

The club should put in an application to have the games played when it suits them. Should insist on weekend games. People mention it's only 20 minutes. Well lets make it 40 because you have to get home. An hour if it's busy and there is a big crowd and shopping traffic. I can't see fans rushing to get to Thursday games for example. Fridays would be hard for those with kid's sport on Saturday morning as that extra hour is like gold.

It's not a great situation, but I don't see a good alternative. .

You've just seen ten better alternatives. But it doesnt suit the fickle locals reluctant to change.
Would be better off taking it to Redfern. its a good ground. Also some good union grounds around.

Quicksilver

Bench
10 mins by train
20 mins by car figures

Against all the traffic.

32 minutes.

Train trips are pretty good now. It's only a couple of stops over Como Bridge.

Traffic, can be bad, but not horrendous on that trip.

Traffic is an argument to keep it fairly close though. Travelling to Parramatta from the Shire is an absolute f**king chore. Fighting Parrmatta Rd, M4, Kings Georges RD, Hume Highway etc is f**king horrid.

Taking games out there changes the prospect of attending from a couple of hours to a whole day thing. It might be alright a couple of times, but not semi-regularly.

Kogarah is a few kms over either of the bridges. There is nothing suitable that is even remotely as convenient. If the SFS were available it might be different. But even that is a mission for most people.

Quicksilver

Bench
You've just seen ten better alternatives. But it doesnt suit the fickle locals reluctant to change.
Would be better off taking it to Redfern. its a good ground. Also some good union grounds around.

Yes, Redfern totally suitable for NRL.

It's not a matter of being fickle. It's a matter of not having the time to go when little Johnny also has soccer on the same day.

Frenzy.

Immortal
10 mins by train
20 mins by car figures

Against all the traffic.

32 minutes.

My google maps is saying 25 minutes from Eefcote right now. Zero traffic on the roads.

carcharias

Immortal
Train trips are pretty good now. It's only a couple of stops over Como Bridge.

Traffic, can be bad, but not horrendous on that trip.

Traffic is an argument to keep it fairly close though. Travelling to Parramatta from the Shire is an absolute f**king chore. Fighting Parrmatta Rd, M4, Kings Georges RD, Hume Highway etc is f**king horrid.

Taking games out there changes the prospect of attending from a couple of hours to a whole day thing. It might be alright a couple of times, but not semi-regularly.

Kogarah is a few kms over either of the bridges. There is nothing suitable that is even remotely as convenient. If the SFS were available it might be different. But even that is a mission for most people.
A couple?
13 stops from Cronulla to Allawah

That’s with the added prospect of having to more than likely change at Sutho.

Quicksilver

Bench
A couple?
13 stops from Cronulla to Allawah

That’s with the added prospect of having to more than likely change at Sutho.

Carlton is the 6th stop over the bridge and most trains don't stop at all of those stations.

All other Shire stations are closer than Cronulla.

It really can't get much easier.

I wouldn't even bother trying to count how many stops and trains I'd need to get to anywhere else.

Quicksilver

Bench
There just simply isn't a better answer.

Like, you actually have to go past Kogarah to get to just about anywhere else.

The stadium landscape is Kogarah and then empty space to something else that probably isn't even as good as Kogarah, then Parramatta.

carcharias

Immortal
Carlton is the 6th stop over the bridge and most trains don't stop at all of those stations.

All other Shire stations are closer than Cronulla.

It really can't get much easier.

I wouldn't even bother trying to count how many stops and trains I'd need to get to anywhere else.

Look
The shire is a big place and to say it is only a few minutes across the bridge might be true.
However in reality people do not start their journey from just this side of taken point bridge or Como station.

Traffic is horrendous in the shire.
I’m in Engadine and it can take me at least 40 mins to drive down to Cronulla on game day.

As for kogarah
you’ve got to get over there and find a parking spot.
If I’m on a train I still have to get to the station somehow.
Then walk to and from the station.

BestHookerRein

Juniors
At least your ground won’t smell like mangroves anymore, just mediocrity from playing at the same stadium as the Dragons

Quicksilver

Bench
Look
The shire is a big place and to say it is only a few minutes across the bridge might be true.
However in reality people do not start their journey from just this side of taken point bridge or Como station.

Traffic is horrendous in the shire.
I’m in Engadine and it can take me at least 40 mins to drive down to Cronulla on game day.

As for kogarah
you’ve got to get over there and find a parking spot.
If I’m on a train I still have to get to the station somehow.
Then walk to and from the station.

It would be way easier to park at Engadine and get on a train to Kogarah.

Apart from going to Anzac Oval to watch A Grade there probably aren't too many easier scenarios.

Anywhere you go with a crowd is going to be slow. That's essentially what a crowd is.

If you don't want to deal with any crowd the only option is A Grade.

carcharias

Immortal
If I have to get a train to a massive shithole like Kogarah I may as well keep going to BankWest.
At least the stadium is new and there is actually a bit of infrastructure around the joint.

Kogarah is dead
Caputt
Expired

Even the Dragons won’t go there

There just simply isn't a better answer.

Like, you actually have to go past Kogarah to get to just about anywhere else.

The stadium landscape is Kogarah and then empty space to something else that probably isn't even as good as Kogarah, then Parramatta.
There are heaps better answers, just not ones you like.