What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks rule out safe haven if Carney and Roosters part ways

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
well we could go through the roster & establish what we are looking for.
The other player is a top 25 tier player.
We released collis & signed Mills. Pomm, best wright as centres.
We resigned hot dog. Thats one winger.
we have gards ike & stapo as fullbacks.
Kelly, carney as 5/8's
Robo, Chad & wade as halves
degwah & Moz as hookers
Props are loaded.
So my inclinations is that we are looking at a centre winger or another backrower. Prob a winger.

Wouldnt mind tupou from Cows.
a nice steal on Loko?
Maybe Josh Morris?

Still cant believe we never gave Niko a look in.

webShark

He would have been the kind of player we need (IMO). Support for Stapleton and Matt Wright seems to have dropped off. Must admit neither impress me. Niko has the size to do some damage.I think we need a big angry winger. Cameron Smith rated him.

cb4

First Grade
well we could go through the roster & establish what we are looking for.
The other player is a top 25 tier player.
We released collis & signed Mills. Pomm, best wright as centres.
We resigned hot dog. Thats one winger.
we have gards ike & stapo as fullbacks.
Kelly, carney as 5/8's
Robo, Chad & wade as halves
degwah & Moz as hookers
Props are loaded.
So my inclinations is that we are looking at a centre winger or another backrower. Prob a winger.

Wouldnt mind tupou from Cows.
a nice steal on Loko?
Maybe Josh Morris?

Bit off on some players in positions, but I wont argue semantics until round 1.

Ike though, I give him a very long shot of being at our club.

Tupou from the Cowboys signs to play rugby union.

Our best bet for a winger would be Cooper Vuna.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Well that is a shame for Ike. I thought he really made considerable ground last year in terms of defense, size & confidence. In fact, that is shocking news if true.
IF has done somethingm, it better be very close to murder for us releasing him or I for one will be filthy.

Card Shark

Immortal
Well that is a shame for Ike. I thought he really made considerable ground last year in terms of defense, size & confidence. In fact, that is shocking news if true.
IF has done somethingm, it better be very close to murder for us releasing him or I for one will be filthy.

Yeh he did come a long way, I didn't rate him at season start.

It would be very disappointing if we didn't give him the benefit of the doubt.

cb4

First Grade
Did you miss the "Shark charged with domestic violence" thread.

We will stand by him until the final verdict.

Special K

Coach
I don't know if this has been posted but

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen has offered to help mentor troubled NRL star Todd Carney at the club. Carney has been tipped to become a new signing for the Sharks by the end of the week and Gallen made it clear today he'd love to have him at the club.
He was also ready to lend his off-field support to the dumped Canberra and Sydney Roosters five-eighth and 2010 Dally M Medal winner, who has a history of off-field misdemeanours, often alcohol related.
"I think I could help him a little bit," said NSW skipper Gallen after announcing he'd signed a two-year contract extension with Cronulla today. The new deal will keep him at the club until the end of 2015.
"I've had a few issues over the years and I'm probably no angel myself.
"But I think he deserves to play here. Twelve months ago he was probably going to take Darren Lockyer's spot in the Test side.

Related Coverage

"Obviously things haven't gone to plan for him but I just think he deserves to play in the NRL and I'd love to see him here.
"I think he has just got to understand that this could probably be his last chance. It would be his third club... he's 24-25 now and he's probably got to understand that."
The inspirational Sharks captain said a move to the Shire in Sydney' southern beaches could be good for Carney.
"This is the life that he wants. It's a great lifestyle, he's going to have the opportunity to live in a great area and he probably just has to understand that he's going to be a target and when he does go out, just be a little bit smarter."
Gallen was happy to talk about Carney before coach Shane Flanagan decided enough was enough.
"This is about Paul Gallen today ... Gal went on a bit about Todd ... we won't be going any further on Todd, this is about Paul Gallen being a Shark for life."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/nr...rney-at-the-club/story-fn6e0tx4-1226170968274

It sounds like Gall knows something that we don't.

Also for those out there who like to join the dots Riolo has ties with the following players; http://www.titanmanagement.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=73

Interesting that we have signed a few(and re-signed in past week Gall/Hot dog) of those players and the players we have been linked with (Williams/Inu/Carney) are all under the same management.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
Well as far as the Ike thing is concerned or any other off feild f**k up made by any other NRL player at any club for at least a little while, may not be as news worthy as it was a while back because it's old news..

Here's a tip.. Dont buy the ferkin paper in the first place!!

Boycott the ABC

Buy a candle and learn an instrument

Happy days!!

Poss

Juniors
The Shire nightspots Todd Carney should avoid at all cost

GOD makes them and then they find each other. Not Shane Warne and Liz Hurley. The Sharks and Todd Carney.
Under normal - or sober - circumstances, a player of Carney's worth would never play for Cronulla, and never for the $200,000 he is expected to receive in his first season should he become a Shark.
Under normal - or more profitable - circumstances, a club like Cronulla that relies on every single cent from sponsorship and corporate goodwill to survive would never take a punt on the stick of dynamite that is the former Roosters five-eighth.
As it turns out, Carney and the Sharks need each other. Carney needs somewhere to play; Cronulla needs a genuine match-winner who on his day can be as good as any other player in the world.
Fresh from a round of last drinks during a holiday in Thailand, the 25-year-old appears certain to sign with the Sharks in the next few days.

While playing for the battling club will help remove him from the allure of the eastern suburbs and its notorious establishments, the Shire represents a whole new challenge for Carney, who has said to many people in the past - not least a magistrate - that he has a drinking problem.
Fusion. Sting Bar. 2230. Carmens. And a score of other watering/dribbling holes.
Sharks half Albert Kelly still has charges hanging over his head for a drunken night at Northies, in which he allegedly pushed over tables and chairs outside the hotel before pushing a bouncer in the chest.
Surely, now, the good folk at Northies are licking their lips in anticipation of the arrival of Todd Carnage.
They are the type of headlines the Sharks can ill-afford to attract again, not now with their financial future hanging by a thread. Sharks officials and major sponsors must know that.
In 2009, their major sponsor LG walked out having endured months of sorry publicity. The Greg Bird saga, the drunken antics of Brett Seymour, the sacking of chief executive Tony Zappia for allegedly hitting a female employee and the positive drug test of Reni Maitua.
At the time, LG's marketing director David Brand said those incidents "were certainly a significant element in our decision" to abandon the club.
If anyone can generate a 1000-watt headline that can be read from outer space it is Carney.
Just ask the Roosters.
Carney has shown to all - not least interested clubs - that he has no intention of getting off the drink.
His appearance in various inner-city and eastern suburbs bars after he and the Roosters parted ways virtually turned into a game of "Where's Toddy?".
Facebook photos published in The Sunday Telegraph of him living la vida loca in Thailand must surely have made Sharks chairman Damian Irvine cringe.
You can bet NRL boss David Gallop mentions it when he meets Carney before he signs off on any contract for 2012 and beyond. Irvine said yesterday no drinking ban, no restrictions would be placed on Carney if he came to the Sharks.
For now.
That could help Carney. Promises to abstain from alcohol are often his only drama. It's how much he decides to drink and what he does on it that will decide if he burns his final last-last-last chance.
Behind the scenes, the Sharks are talking up a tough game. If Carney tarnishes the good name of the club at any stage, he will be terminated.
They say that now. Canberra and the Roosters took incident after scandal after breach notice to decide to let him go.
The Sharks can't afford to give him that much rope. For all concerned, let's hope it works out and the stick of dynamite does not explode.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...void-at-all-cost/story-e6frexnr-1226171087260

Eion

First Grade
What a CRAZY!!!! place that Woolooware Yacht Club is. Bound to lead a defenceless Toddles astray.

I saw Toddy at Taren Point hotel when he had just signed for the Roosters. Seemed to be sucking back OJ with family members - I reholstered my iphone in disgust.

Thanks Andrew Webster for re-hashing old news - knob jockey. And Andrew, you forgot to mention Matty Johns and Ike.

FMD - these dipshyts annoy the f**k out of me.

I would love to see some photos and stories on drunken journos.

No booze ban for Carney, say Sharks
Michael Chammas
October 20, 2011

CRONULLA won't impose a booze ban on Todd Carney but simply advise him to drink responsibly if he agrees to join the Sharks next season.

Chairman Damian Irvine yesterday revealed the club had no plans to include an alcohol ban in their proposed contract to the former Rooster.

The Sydney Roosters sacked Carney last month for breaching the club's no alcohol policy and, despite the 25-year-old's long and destructive history with a drinking problem, Cronulla are reluctant to impose similar restrictions on him.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''When you ask people to make big promises and they get broken, you find yourself having issues,'' Irvine said. ''I like a drink, we all like a drink, I think drinking's a huge part of society … Todd hasn't really done a lot wrong this year from what I can see. We've all got to manage our drinking, and it's how you manage it. We'd expect Todd to manage his drinking like anyone in our squad.''

Cronulla remain in the box seat to secure Carney's services for next year, with his manager David Riolo yesterday indicating an announcement could be made as early as this weekend. Skipper Paul Gallen, who confirmed yesterday he would remain at the Sharks until the end of 2015, has put up his hand to mentor the troubled playmaker.

The pair spent more than a month together last year during Australia's Four Nations campaign, and Gallen believes he is capable of providing Carney with some much-needed direction.

''Twelve months ago, he was probably going to take Darren Lockyer's spot in the Test side,'' Gallen said. ''Things haven't gone to plan for him but I just think he deserves to play in the NRL, and I'd love to see him here. I think I can help him a little bit … I think that he probably has to understand that this will be his last chance.''

Carney has turned down several offers from French rugby and English Super League clubs, and is intent on staying in Australia to get his rugby league career back on track.

While the Sharks and Titans have publicly expressed their interest in Carney, Riolo claims two other NRL clubs remain in the hunt to snare the troubled playmaker.

''I met with Todd and his mum and his sister on Tuesday night, and we discussed, without looking at the commercial realities, where he could play,'' he said. ''[We looked at] where he could fit in and where he wants to be.''

Regardless of where he signs, NRL boss David Gallop still wants to meet Carney before registering his contract for next year.

It's extremely unlikely the NRL will interfere if Cronulla - or any club that snares Carney next year - decides against imposing a booze ban, with Gallop of the belief false promises shouldn't be made. Roosters boss Steve Noyce insists the club isn't upset Carney is likely to end up at a rival NRL team.

''Both parties agreed that Todd's future at the Roosters had come to an end,'' Noyce said. ''Wherever he ends up we wish him well.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-say-sharks-20111019-1m875.html#ixzz1bGqjub8M