What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks rule out safe haven if Carney and Roosters part ways

Special K

Coach
I just noticed that Carney is a ginger ninja..

493896-todd-carney.jpg

changed my mind... DO NOT WANT

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
One thing for sure is that Rothfield must be now cut off from the club for good. He was the lead journalist calling for Carney to be sent to jail this year. I can imagine him having anything whatsoever to do with the club will not be received well by Carney. & Carney is far more important to us.

Card Shark

Immortal
He's done a big about face in the tele today. Now praising Carney.

Check out the back page with the Amco cup & Carney. Gotta love the Amco cup - sonethings better than nothing.:D

Poss

Juniors
Sharks signing Todd Carney is a perfect marriage
Phil Rothfield
SIX months ago I wanted Todd Carney sent to jail.
Today I'm celebrating his arrival at the Cronulla Sharks.
Hypocrite? No way.
This is the perfect marriage with one desperate climbing into bed with another.
A club on the brink of financial ruin and a footy player who has brought new meaning to the words "last chance".
Carney needs the footy club to give his life direction as much as the footy club needs Carney to provide two points each week.
In February this year Carney was caught drink driving.
He blew .05 on his P plates, and correct, I wrote he should go behind bars, having found the paperwork from a court case in June 2007 when Canberra magistrate Maria Doogan warned the then Raiders star he would go to jail with one more traffic offence.
(The last time I checked, DUI was, in fact, a traffic offence).
Yesterday I was predictably bombarded on emails, Twitter and our website for changing tack and now applauding his move to Cronulla where I'm a season ticket holder.
With apologies to no one, here's how I see it.
I thought a short prison term - even a week or two - would do him the world of good and at least show him the flip side of his privileged lifestyle. Let him find out what it's like to be cramped into a small cell instead of earning $400,000 plus-a-year to be an NRL footy star, a lifestyle the average person can only dream about.
He eventually lost his licence but escaped a prison sentence despite the previous warning from a magistrate.
The NRL and the Roosters took no action despite a long list of prior offences. He got back on the grog and his season eventually went off the rails. Nothing illegal but certainly unprofessional behaviour.
And so he's now off to the Sharks - signed, sealed and to be delivered next week when training starts on November 3.
It's a huge risk but probably the club's most significant signing since Great Britain internationals Tommy Bishop and Cliff Watson came to the Shire in the seventies - the closest the club has ever got to premiership glory.
Will he recapture the form that saw him win the Dally M Medal and steer the Roosters to the grand final in 2010 or spend another 12 months partying?
Three weeks ago I spoke to Carney about his boozy lifestyle since being sprung with Nate Myles at Frank Paul Nu'uausala at 2am at the Courthouse Hotel while the Roosters were supposed to be on a alcohol ban.
"I'm not breaking the law by having a drink," he said. "If I sign with a club and they ask me to stop, I will."
Still, why would the Sharks take a gamble which no other club was prepared to take given the number of "last chances" he has blown?
Consider this: Reports of his likely signing has helped drive up membership sales up by 25 per cent from the same stage last year. In the betting markets the Sharks have firmed from $50 to $30 to win that elusive first premiership.
So far, so good.
The club that has been on life support for 18 months has finally secured a player who, alongside Origin skipper Paul Gallen, could deliver the first trophy to the Shire since the Amco Cup back in 1979.
A champion five-eighth who can turn ordinary players into great outside backs (ask Shaun Kenny Dowell or any of the other Roosters who benefited from his brilliance in 2010.)
The plain fact of the matter is Cronulla couldn't buy a player of Carney's ability if he didn't come with some baggage.
Will it end in tears? Will it end in a premiership fairytale?
Like Carney and his behaviour, it's impossible to predict.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...perfect-marriage/story-e6frexnr-1226176767027

cb4

First Grade
I disagree.

Rothfield is a journalist, and a Gossip.

His job is to write things, piss people off, get them to hammer his blog, and buy his papers.

He does this well.

Having met the bloke, he is a massive Shark, no doubt about it, sometimes he abuses his power being associated with us, but again, its his job.

He is good at what he does.

Megalodon

Juniors
I think "Gossip Columnist" or "Opinion Writer" is a more apt description.

Not a lot of true journalism going on in what he does.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Whatever the situation with Dr Phil, the story paints both parties in a pretty good light considering the circumstances both find themselves in. A bit of an "against all odds" piece. I tellya what, i'm starting to get a good feeling in me lions (intentional spelling mistake BTW). There's been a disturbance in the force!!!!!!

carcharias

Immortal
The Sharks are trying to get John Morris a three-year deal in England and will use Robson as a back-up half or hooker.
Phil Rothfield
Wed 26 Oct 11 (10:43am)

hmmm.

Poss

Juniors
Yeah well we have Degois who will start at hooker.
Morris would be a good bench spot but is probably on more coin than Robson?
If we can offload Morris and use the cash on a centre then it would probably be more beneficial to the team I guess.

Click2000

Juniors
If Morris does go to the UK and we had Robson rotating with Degois what do you guys think about Kelly at Half, Carney at 5/8 and Graham to Lock ??