What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Village development?

If they are selling it off what does the sale of a large part of their current assets mean in the longer term?

I don't know the figures/percentages etc, but hypothetically i will use figures out of my arse for an example.
It says 500 dwellings, someone with better knowledge of Shire property prices can give a true value to these apartments. For this exercise i'll say some may be $1,000,000, water views, penthouse? some may be $500,000, less views and only a double bedder? I'll take $750,000 as a median.
If we were to get 10% of each sale(and all were sold) it would mean we get $37,500,000.
To me, this is where the next step is just as important, if not more so, than the development itself.
The re-investment of the money earned is what will keep our team alive forever.
It may not be a bad idea to look at what the Bulldogs have done, buying up bowling clubs and the like.
That's how i see it, don't know if i'm close to the mark or way off.

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
cools i told ya the big retailers will jump on it... aldi wont get a look in.... trust me on this one.

Yes, I mean the residential proposal. Check the bits I quoted cools and see if it reads to you like ownership of all that land will be retained or not?

I can only speculate, but the council wouldn't allow the club to use Endeavour 2&3 for redevelopment as it was sold to the club for $2 to be used as sporting fields, but they can't stop the club selling that land. The new owner wouldn't have the same moral dilemma with council on how and why the land was acquired, it would be a purely commercial transaction.

Ausguy

Coach
Go and watch the haters vomit on the thread i just put in the NRL forum.... this should be fun....

coolumsharkie

Referee
yeah well Coolum Pub is owned by Woolies and Coles owns the land all around it which is currently being developed.. You can still find the odd 20 bucks on the ground, remnants of the wads of leaf that was reportedly getting tossed about.. disgusting really, Woolies are now going to build a great big Bopttle mart or similar just to compensate.. Coolum doesn't need it, but it gives you an idea of who wears the financial pants in our community, good for the Sharks though this time but just this time only ..

cronullashark

Juniors
I can only speculate, but the council wouldn't allow the club to use Endeavour 2&3 for redevelopment as it was sold to the club for $2 to be used as sporting fields, but they can't stop the club selling that land. The new owner wouldn't have the same moral dilemma with council on how and why the land was acquired, it would be a purely commercial transaction.

As far as I am aware the council has no say in it anymore, a develoPment of this size bypasses council and goes straight to the state government..

State government will change in 2 months time, and the opposition has vowed to scrap the part3a planning laws and return them to councils.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Actually it is not good. The libs are returning planning powers back to councils which are becoming greener & greener thanks to the pharken dopes that vote for them. I just hope that there is a policy that allows for existing determinations to continue via the state & not be retured to councils.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Actually it is not good. The libs are returning planning powers back to councils which are becoming greener & greener thanks to the pharken dopes that vote for them. I just hope that there is a policy that allows for existing determinations to continue via the state & not be retured to councils.

That's where I was going.

Lib govt doesn't change the council makeup and they are not going to be easy to get by if what BS says is going to happen

The Popper

Bench
""A big part of this process was to get an up-front commitment from the development partner that we choose, without sacrificing long-term returns. The club will retain ownership of the land for the retail component and the club building, along with Toyota Stadium, receiving perpetual rental on the space.

"Further, the residential development will also deliver profit streams for the Sharks from a percentage of the gross revenue."

That reads like they are not retaining ownership of the outside fields area where the dwellings are proposed to go to me.

Reporting error? Fact? Wise if true?

It'd have to be, Frenzy. If you owned a home you wouldn't want somebody else still owning the land it stands on. The same would apply to the buyers. However, like mentioned elsewhere, I always thought the land was 99 year lease?

As I said earlier, that may be why they sell the western land, to get past the council greenies who use the $2 sale of the land 40 years ago as a moral reason for not allowing development. They won't get away with that of the land is sold to a private developer, it would have to be treated on its merits.

spider

Coach
anyone received notification in writing advising of the up-coming EGM?

constitution states 21 days notice in writing to ALL MEMBERS advising of any general meeting

electronic notification does not suffice

Frenzy.

Immortal

constitution states 21 days notice in writing to ALL MEMBERS advising of any general meeting

As in members of the footy club, members of the leagues club and members of both?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal

Notification can be done in the newspapers, via mail, telegram, fax,web site etc etc as far as I am aware. As long as there is a genune effort of notification, that is all that will be required.
Sure somebody could appeal on the validit of the meeting, but if there is genuine effort, they will lsoe the appeal.

spider

Coach
As in members of the footy club, members of the leagues club and members of both?
voting members -every single member of leagues club which would be around the 20,000 mark

Notification can be done in the newspapers, via mail, telegram, fax,web site etc etc as far as I am aware. As long as there is a genune effort of notification, that is all that will be required.
constitution is clear reef - ALL MEMBERS notified by WRITING.

no mention of a 'genuine effort' sufficing, especially considering the clubs constitution was around before the introduction of electronic mail and web services

i would assume the only constitutional reform there ever has been would be when they rolled over to bi-ennial elections

remember everyone received notification of the last AGM (by letter in the mail) which was contrary to years previous....
Sure somebody could appeal on the validit of the meeting, but if there is genuine effort, they will lsoe the appeal.
no they wouldnt

but more importantly, would the club be willing to take that risk when the end result is crucial to the long term finances of the club

drago brelli

Bench
People have been asking where the cars will park. Phase two of this plan is to purchase the high school across the road and turn it into a car park. The club will also install 200 hundred more poker machines on that site as well.