What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Village development?

jc155776

Coach
Im still a bit lost with the part where we give our land to a developer, who builds shyt on it, then sells it, gives us a cut, but we still own it.
I want some of that.

Some kind of 99 year lease?

If leasee breaches conditions they lose any right over the land I would guess. So even if they go bust we can hock the land to someone else later on.

Again that is guess work, but I am thinking it is something similar.

The return may be less then doing it ourselves but we don't assume the risk of going broke if everything goes to sh*t.

taipan

Referee
OK I will attend the meetings when announced,but with the little I know and therefore will make assumptions,some may be incorrect.
The league's club debt is wiped.
The land is still owned by the club: a given .Under normal circumstances ,the developer buys the land and develops.He doesn't have to expend on land purchase in order to start the shebang.
The risk is taken by the developer and the finance company,but the rewards if things go to plan are large.
The risk for the league's club is either the project doesn't go ahead,or the developers go down the gurgler and the car park looks like bombed out Baghdad.

The housing units they build and sell to prospective buyers,will be the developers profit,and maybe the share in the capital gains when the owner sells also goes to the developer.The balance to the owner.

With a supermarket lets say an IGA size one,the residents will be almost a captive audience and also be close to the leagues club facility.The club benefits also from their patronage.

The club at the start ,during and at the end receives large lump sum payments,in addtion to the annual rental for use of the land and facilites ,until completion(which I am led to believe will take at least 5 years)

After 99 years the buildings (unless the area is under 3 metres of water ,due to global warming,will revert to the 20 times permiership winning Sharks.:D
If what i suggest is near the mark,the Leagues club does quite nicely.

In summary nil debt,some decent lumps sums maybe 3 in toto ,annual rental until completion,and a few hundred people residing in the club's backyard,with money to spend.I suggest that puts the club leagues and football club ,into one of the strongest positions of any rl club.
If the leagues club can make money now with a huge debt,imagine the situation with no debt.

Last edited:

Eion

First Grade
With a supermarket lets say an IGA size one,the residents will be almost a captive audience and also be close to the leagues club facility.The club benefits also from their patronage.
The single best thing they can do imo is bung in a big supermarket (coles or woolies caringbah size). That is what the area east of caringbah is screaming out for. That'll bring in people out of the development - no one will bother for an IGA.

carcharias

Immortal
just my knowledge on the business's in the immediate area around shark park.

From Jackson to wing.
I have dealt with the same people in these horrible positions for 20 years now.
With no parking anywhere they have managed to stay alive and actually do quite well.
One Company called Dicker Data was on that same section but on the other side of the road.
It is now out at that huge complex near Kurnell and is going gangbusters.
They sell computer equip....not exactly a niche market.

So I don't think the position is as bad as we think.

A supermarket is a must.......woolies.....and dan murhphys.
There is a supermarket at Taren point near the pub ...but it is like one from down the south coast.

Also, Ausguy.....I have very good reason to believe Newman is not making this up.
He would not bullsh*t about this.

Quigs

Immortal
As a long distance, long suffering supporter, I would like to know a few things about this.

Basically if it goes ahead, and from what I have read it would appear promising, what time frame are we looking at before some money comes our way.

How long in time must the club survive on basic rations before the new dawn.

For those that know .... if we are in deep debt ... how are the banks treating us, and what is their thoughts on this developing proposal.

How long have we got?

The Far Q

Ausguy

Coach
just my knowledge on the business's in the immediate area around shark park.

From Jackson to wing.
I have dealt with the same people in these horrible positions for 20 years now.
With no parking anywhere they have managed to stay alive and actually do quite well.
One Company called Dicker Data was on that same section but on the other side of the road.
It is now out at that huge complex near Kurnell and is going gangbusters.
They sell computer equip....not exactly a niche market.

So I don't think the position is as bad as we think.

A supermarket is a must.......woolies.....and dan murhphys.
There is a supermarket at Taren point near the pub ...but it is like one from down the south coast.

Also, Ausguy.....I have very good reason to believe Newman is not making this up.
He would not bullsh*t about this.

Firstly Carch, i never said Newms was making anything up... all i said was im not cracking a boner until we we see some action, how many times have we all been through this before to be dissapointed?

Newman is in a privileged position having some information, until im in that position im not going to singing the praises of anyone, nor have i been critical of anything, for me its a wait and see, and when i can see hopefully il be impressed.

Secondly.... Dicker Data... owned by David Dicker.... i remember him, he was a mad keen tenpin bowler when i bowled out of southgate bowl.... if i remember correctly he put a fully functional pair of lanes in his taren point warehouse in the 80's. Good to hear he had success.

Ausguy

Coach
As a long distance, long suffering supporter, I would like to know a few things about this.

Basically if it goes ahead, and from what I have read it would appear promising, what time frame are we looking at before some money comes our way.

How long in time must the club survive on basic rations before the new dawn.

For those that know .... if we are in deep debt ... how are the banks treating us, and what is their thoughts on this developing proposal.

How long have we got?

The Far Q

Good question... but my thoughts on this are basically if we get the go ahead and it will start in X time frame, then they (developers and NRL or rugby league) in general wont let them die, i mean what would be the point of the development starting that involves building in and around toyota stadium if the team is dead?

On that... will toyota put some more $ given the greater potential exposure?

carcharias

Immortal
Firstly Carch, i never said Newms was making anything up... all i said was im not cracking a boner until we we see some action, how many times have we all been through this before to be dissapointed?

Newman is in a privileged position having some information, until im in that position im not going to singing the praises of anyone, nor have i been critical of anything, for me its a wait and see, and when i can see hopefully il be impressed.

Secondly.... Dicker Data... owned by David Dicker.... i remember him, he was a mad keen tenpin bowler when i bowled out of southgate bowl.... if i remember correctly he put a fully functional pair of lanes in his taren point warehouse in the 80's. Good to hear he had success.

I was not having a crack at you.
I was just backing up Newmans comments.
I've known him personally through this website for a while now and he is trustworthy .
Well, I will take his word .
Also....as I am sure others who know him will agree.....he would not be easily fooled by talk of rivers of gold and fields of dreams.

Dicker Data...yeah David is the techie head...but it is his missus with the business brains. IMO.

The Popper

Bench
It looks positive to me. We may not get everything we want but at least the wheels are in motion. Full credit to the Board for this.

Eion

First Grade
Has that completely f**ked the drive though at caringbah inn? Ive only been in there once or twice. Comparable to dan murphys?
No not comparable, fuggen crooks if you ask me. get better deals at the local vintage and not an arsehole to park.