What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson vs Benji Marshall

shiznit

Coach
Benji's never been the best player in the game and it'll be a f**king miracle if Shaun will ever be either. The Warriors would be far better team with Cronk/Thurston/Maloney calling the shots but that's not an answer to the question . . . Johnson v Marshall will probably end up 6 of one, half a dozen of the other
Shaun Johnson is only 24... He's still got another 6-10 years left in the game.

The issue for him I think is he needs to develop the parts of his game which don't rely on his physical gifts.

Because as he gets older he will lose that elusive speed and acceleration.

Next season will be a massive season for him...

The issue for him I think is he needs to develop the parts of his game which don't rely on his physical gifts.

Some competent forwards would help also, kinda showed what he can do behind a solid forward pack.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
At this stage, I feel that SJ will surpass Bunji Muckhole as a player.

SJ has the potential to be a combination of Andrew Johns and Phil Blake. A mix of skill and unpredictability.

I just loved watching Johnson play for the Warriors this year. The trouble is when his teammates f**ked up, so did he.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Easily Shaun Johnson.

He will keep getting better too.

For mine Benji has always been a bit too much sideways and especially at the wrong time in games. Throws a lot of forward passes and when he grubbers he seems to kick it dead a lot over the years.

For the Warriors sometimes Johnson doesn't get involved enough when he needs too. I think he can improve this though for Warriors.

POPEYE

Coach

Agree, he needs to sit down with someone who can teach him the value of thinking 2 plays ahead . . . spontaneity will only get him so far

S Johnson is better than B Marshall.

How about having letters indicating positions on our jerseys? FB for fullback, WG for wing etc.

papabear

Juniors
I am still yet to see SJ have the quality of games BM was having around 04,05.

The speed and step might have been similar but BM had a weapon of passing game to go with it...

Hutty1986

Immortal
Really looking forward to seeing how Johnson goes in 2015. Incredibly talented but an ordinary Australian side certainly helped him with his highlight reel during the 4N.

Would be surprised if he doesn't surpass Benji, who has plenty of sh*t amongst his many freakish plays during his career... but Shaun with a lot to prove at club level first.

Fair point. Whilst Johnson is younger than Marshall, is a better first receiver, I see a lot of similarities between Johnson now and Marshall when he was at his peak. Johnson needs to look at Benji's record and how he over relied on his physical gifts and spontaneity and develop the other parts of his game.

If he doesn't, he will just be a good player who could have been great.

macnaz

Staff member
Absolute rubbish...

The kiwis first half dominance was based as much on Johnsons kicking game as it was the Kiwis pack.

even benji in his prime had no kicking game... If benji had played in that test we would have been thumped by 60.

hahah.. mate any cred you thought u may have had no longer exists , to think one players inclusion over another would cost a side 60 is complete f**king fantasy .

macnaz

Staff member
Give Johnson 3 shoulder reco"s in his prime and see where he would be at ?

Lambretta

First Grade
Benji was hamstrung by a coach that didn't recognise his best assets and coach him accordingly

He spent far too long trying to be the main man on the field and it didn't suit him

Benji was at his best when he played alongside players that controlled the play allowing him to chime in when required.

Johnson has a bit more of that controlling playmaker about him

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Benji can build on 2014 where he showed touches of class playing a supporting role at STG.

macnaz

Staff member
Lol. SJ by a lot of peoples opinion is on fire and at this point is better than Benji at his peak.
2014 .. Top try assists - SJ isnt even in the top 20
2014 ... Top line break assists . SJ isnt again in the top 20
2014.... Top line breaks .... Still not even in the 20

Wow this kid is a superstar ? People are seriously blinded by some moments of brilliance :(

shiznit

Coach
hahah.. mate any cred you thought u may have had no longer exists , to think one players inclusion over another would cost a side 60 is complete f**king fantasy .
:lol:

It's a throw away line you f**king genius...

I think anyone with half a brain understood what I was saying....