What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shopping List for 2005

Collateral

Coach
Well so far the Dragons are desperately trying to re-sign our stars like we seem to be doing every year.

But who are your personal gains for 2005?

So far I have heard that the Dragons have a bit of interest for Frank Pritchard from the Panthers, who is a very strong and mobile player. Has a bright future but we arent the only club after him.

A player I would be looking at to buy to replace Riddell if he leaves is Dean Widders from Parramatta...I', pretty sure he is off contract and he is a very similar build and style to Riddell...He used to be a star in PL for the Roosters as a hooker I think so he might be good. Would come rather cheap as well.

We obviously dont have much more money to afford many players and without a list its a bit hard to say who to buy.....lol but all that aside, these are the two I would be very interested in.

Biglance

Bench
no chance of widders he is trash trash trash

pritchard is not worth the equivalent of kite but he would be a good buy

but we need to sign someone like darren mapp but lets concentrate on keeping kite and pig

Collateral

Coach
El Masri is apparently not happy at the Dogs....we cant afford him either though.

Utai is also wanting out of the Dogs but will probably ask for way too much.

Simon

Juniors
Carl Webb from the Broncos is off contract and could be a great impact player. His price would of dropped over the last couple of years and if he can regain the form that saw him play State of Origin I'd love to have him. Brisbane told him last year he could leave if he wanted, but he stayed, so I doubt Brisbane will resign him.

I'd also like to see Frank Prichard at the Dragons. I think he and Thompson are different players and would compliment each other perfectly.

Joel Monaghan from the Raiders is also off contract and he would prove a handy buy. I doubt we could afford him though. But I can dream.

Sticks

Juniors
I don't think it's a question of who to get in. It's a question of retaining as many of our current squad. The squad we have now can win premierships....if we get a reasonable run with injuries.

Sticks

Simon

Juniors
It's a reality this year that we're going to loose some big name players for next year. There is no way that we will be able to afford to pay all our stars who deserve pay rises what they will be asking for. Riddell, Kite, Head and Hornby's contracts will have to be increased significantly. Simmonds, Young and Poore would also expect an increase. To cover these losses we may need to purchase some bargain buys, but I doubt there would be any major purchases. Young up and comers or experienced players who have fallen by the way side I think is all that we can expect.

Kiwi

First Grade
Dragosn should ditch a few of the injury prone players and sign or better yet promote some of these young guns. How ofter are the Dragosn without Barret, Gasnier, Ryles, Bailey, Thompson ect. Some need to go other wise these young guns are gonna go elsewhere to get the good money that spends most of the Dragons seasons sitting on the sidelines.

Disco

Bench
I'd let Ryles go if i was the Dragons, he'd cost plenty and is always injured

then retain Kite, Sims and Poore to go along with Bailey

Biglance

Bench
one thing peoples i can accept you saying let go gasnier but not thompson or timmins or ryles for christ sake these blokes are champions and injuries bloody happen

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi, you're saying something which is often said by Saints supporters.

I dont agree about all those players. Most have spent more time on the field than off, although with Barrett the questions are being asked. When there was a debate about the Australian five eighth, Barrett was in good form. I made the comment at the time that he's just as likely to hit the wall again. I didn't want that to happen offcourse but the next weekend he was sidelined yet again.

It's not done by design and I feel the guy, but its becoming increasingly difficult to be understanding when these injuries keep happening to our highest paid player.

Kiwi

First Grade
Willow

I can only imagine what it's like to watch so much money and talent sitting on the sidelines so often. When was the last time there wasn't a serious run of injuries?

Ryles, Barret and co are great players, when on the field, problem is, thats not often enough. The Dragons need to take action now if they want to keep these young players. Do they want great players every few games or so, and young guys every other game, or do they want to keep the fine young talent that they have now and build on that. Sure they may not be title contenders right away, but they aren't that now with the injuries they keep having. Otherwise they will lose alot of the young talent to other clubs who will give them a real shot rather than game time whilst others are out.

Kiwi

First Grade
I'll also add that Brown has coached alot of these young blokes before, he knows what they can do, and how to coach them, and it has shown the last 3 weeks. Brown can take these guys to the next level, shame they may leave and Brown may not get that chance. Cause they won't wait around earning peanuts long enough for the highly paid spectators to retire.

Anonymous

Juniors
Kiwi said:
Willow

I can only imagine what it's like to watch so much money and talent sitting on the sidelines so often. When was the last time there wasn't a serious run of injuries?
lol.. 1999 I think.
2000 was when the slide began with injuries and a lot of players retiring the year before, although Barrett didnt miss a game that year.
But injury-wise, it has been downhill ever since.

Kiwi

First Grade
5 years and nothing done about it. Now is the time something needs to be done. The talent coming through is there, but it won't be for long if they only get paid peanuts for playing most of the season replacing highly paid walking injuries every year.

I'd hate to see so much talent developed by a club leave, no matter what club.

Collateral

Coach
I remember Nathan Brown saying they were going to be looking for players on the market when they re-signed him.

Nugby

Juniors
Hehe, Wests have got a shopping list up too, and it seems to be revolving around stealing Sims from us

Latest posts