What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short memories

Dazzat

First Grade
You're wrong there:

Courtesy of the Courier-Mail / By Steve Ricketts

MEET the family who helped make Greg Inglis feel like a Queenslander. Adrian Coolwell, his wife Mary and sons Jake and Zac are the Australian winger's second family.

The Coolwells took Inglis in as a 16-year-old after he was signed by the Melbourne Storm from Macksville on the NSW North Coast in 2003.

They will be in the crowd alongside Inglis's parents and siblings at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night for the Great Britain Tri-Nations clash.

Adrian, a former first grade league player with Wests and cricketer with Valleys, was a regular at Wizard Cup matches involving Storm feeder club Norths.

He was approached by Norths official John Ribot and coach Gary Greinke to take Inglis in as a boarder.

"They felt Greg would be a lot more comfortable living with an Aboriginal family," Adrian said yesterday.

"We were living at Wavell Heights at the time and Greg loved to play football on the footpath with our boys and the neighbourhood kids.

"He's the same bloke today and he hasn't forgotten those kids.

"I remember watching him play for Norths Colts for the first time and he scored two tries.

"I said to Gary (Greinke) it won't be long before he's in the Wizard Cup. When he got his
chance he scored two tries in the centres against Wynnum and then four against Easts the next time he played.

"I said to Gary, I don't think it will be long before he is playing with the big boys in the NRL."

Inglis made his debut against Parramatta in round 6, 2005 and that season played a mixture of NRL and Queensland Cup winning The Courier Mail best and fairest award for his efforts at Norths.

This year he made his Queensland State of Origin debut and played in Melbourne's 15-8 grand final loss to Brisbane winning selection in the Australian side.

Controversy still rages in Sydney about his eligibility for Queensland given that he was brought up in NSW.

The ARL gave Inglis the green light to play for Queensland because it ruled his first senior football was at Wavell High.

Coolwell says Inglis always wanted to play for Queensland.

"He grew up supporting Queensland because Arthur Beetson, our first Origin captain and an Aboriginal, was one of his heroes," Coolwell said.

The Coolwells now live at Milton, literally a punt kick away from Suncorp Stadium, and when the Inglis family travels from Macksville for the big matches they park their cars in the yard.

"We usually have a cup of tea before going to the game and another one waiting for the traffic to thin out," Coolwell said.

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=2437

Passion for playing for one's state ... a concept more easily grasped north of the Tweed. Picking Inglis to play for NSW ... that would be like ... picking Lyons to play for NSW.

Joker's Wild

Coach
You're wrong there:

Courtesy of the Courier-Mail / By Steve Ricketts

MEET the family who helped make Greg Inglis feel like a Queenslander. Adrian Coolwell, his wife Mary and sons Jake and Zac are the Australian winger's second family.

The Coolwells took Inglis in as a 16-year-old after he was signed by the Melbourne Storm from Macksville on the NSW North Coast in 2003.

They will be in the crowd alongside Inglis's parents and siblings at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night for the Great Britain Tri-Nations clash.

Adrian, a former first grade league player with Wests and cricketer with Valleys, was a regular at Wizard Cup matches involving Storm feeder club Norths.

He was approached by Norths official John Ribot and coach Gary Greinke to take Inglis in as a boarder.

"They felt Greg would be a lot more comfortable living with an Aboriginal family," Adrian said yesterday.

"We were living at Wavell Heights at the time and Greg loved to play football on the footpath with our boys and the neighbourhood kids.

"He's the same bloke today and he hasn't forgotten those kids.

"I remember watching him play for Norths Colts for the first time and he scored two tries.

"I said to Gary (Greinke) it won't be long before he's in the Wizard Cup. When he got his
chance he scored two tries in the centres against Wynnum and then four against Easts the next time he played.

"I said to Gary, I don't think it will be long before he is playing with the big boys in the NRL."

Inglis made his debut against Parramatta in round 6, 2005 and that season played a mixture of NRL and Queensland Cup winning The Courier Mail best and fairest award for his efforts at Norths.

This year he made his Queensland State of Origin debut and played in Melbourne's 15-8 grand final loss to Brisbane winning selection in the Australian side.

Controversy still rages in Sydney about his eligibility for Queensland given that he was brought up in NSW.

The ARL gave Inglis the green light to play for Queensland because it ruled his first senior football was at Wavell High.

Coolwell says Inglis always wanted to play for Queensland.

"He grew up supporting Queensland because Arthur Beetson, our first Origin captain and an Aboriginal, was one of his heroes," Coolwell said.

The Coolwells now live at Milton, literally a punt kick away from Suncorp Stadium, and when the Inglis family travels from Macksville for the big matches they park their cars in the yard.

"We usually have a cup of tea before going to the game and another one waiting for the traffic to thin out," Coolwell said.

http://www.qrl.com.au/display.php?pg_id=2437

Easy for him to say this AFTER he was selected for QLD. Wonder if his story would have been different if NSW had selected him first :-k

GB!

Juniors
Easy for him to say this AFTER he was selected for QLD. Wonder if his story would have been different if NSW had selected him first :-k

you still carrying on with this crap?
let it go FFS. if inglis was a NSWman, he'd be making his debut this wednesday.

hellteam

First Grade
Origin is less than a week away.
QLDérs believe they are more passionate about SOO than NSWélshmen.

QLD passion stems from the hate they have for NSW (this hate is a product of perceived NSW arrogance in years past.)
NSW have generally been the bookmakers favourite, and QLD always stated that the favourite tag means sweet f*** all in origin.
When a NSW dynasty was being trumpeted from some media outlets, the cries north of the Tweed were plentiful and loud, about showing complete disrespect for QLD and its origin history. Cries of never underestimate the origin underdog were heard often.
While working in sunny Brisbane, I have noticed an interesting trend.
I have been amazed at the cockyness QLD supporters in general are displaying (not all, just the majority). No matter where you go in Brisbane, if you talk footy, and more importantly origin, the first words you will hear are “Four series in a row, NSW will be lucky to score a point, don’t waste your time even turning up.”

Online blogs
NSW, get ready for an onslaught....this team is going to get hammered! Posted by: daniel of mighty queenslander
do i hear the words "dynasty" with the powder puffs you guys have picked we could send out the u20 from the broncos, cowboys or titans and they would still win by 30! Posted by: Nasser of Graceville QLD
pfft doesn't matter who they pick,Queensland are gonna make it 4 in a row!!! Posted by: Queenslander! of Brizzy
Thanks for gifting us another series you twits ! hahahah what a bunch of nobodies. Posted by: G I Joe of QLD
lol... all i can say is good luck : ) im liking my lips i feel a 40-0 coming on muhahahahah Posted by: steve of bris
Now is that the best your Blues Selectors can do!! You are going to get smashed!! QLD WILL WIN ANOTHER SERIES!! 4 IN A ROW!!Posted by: Queenslander of Gods Country
I can't wait till QLD SMASH this this very poorly picked NSW team for the 4th year straight - Blues have no hope!!!! Posted by: STORM GIRL

No chance of winning anyway NSW, you might as well stay put in your lousy state. Posted by: Guss Lambden of Cairns
It's going to be an easy win for QUEENSLAND!!! How about a score of 54-12 LOL!!!! Posted by Sheillah Wines
Ahhh just look at QLD's winning team.... QUEENSLANDER !!!!!! Posted by: MrED of Brisbane
The Maroons have a fantastic side to win 4 State of Origins in a row. Posted by: Linda Bridgman Favourite No.1 Queensland Fan of Rosewood
NSW got no chance, they may as well be playing Logan Brothers Under 7's even that would be a tough match for them..Posted by: Chris of Bris
Too make it a bit fairer and to let the roaches have some sort of chance, they should pick the Queensland team and then get their grand mothers to run on. The southerners might get within 10 points and make it an exciting series. GO QUEENSLAND. Posted by: Wayne Clark of Brisbane

How quickly some QLDérs have forgotten what origin is about, afterall we have been told origin is always a 50-50 prospect. It is rather ironic that QLDérs in general, have become exactly what they once despised.

Agree 100% its pissing me off

Joker's Wild

Coach
you still carrying on with this crap?
let it go FFS. if inglis was a NSWman, he'd be making his debut this wednesday.

My point is that the article holds little cred in respects to FG's arguement.

FTR I couldnt give a rats that Inglis plays for Qld, just calling bullsh*t on the rediculous notion from some on here that Inglis wouldn't have played for NSW if selected.

Shorty

Staff member
Why is it rediculous? Clearly, if he wanted to play for NSW he would have waited until they picked him.
Are you saying Inglis is only playing for Queensland because they picked him first?
LOL.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
My point is that the article holds little cred in respects to FG's arguement.

FTR I couldnt give a rats that Inglis plays for Qld, just calling bullsh*t on the rediculous notion from some on here that Inglis wouldn't have played for NSW if selected.

Do you contend that Inglis and the QRL fabricated the story of how he supported QLD growing up, looking up to the indigenous stars in maroon?

Joker's Wild

Coach
Why is it rediculous? Clearly, if he wanted to play for NSW he would have waited until they picked him.
Are you saying Inglis is only playing for Queensland because they picked him first?
LOL.

Nope. Im saying that Im doubtful he really had a preference either way and it came down to whoever offered him a spot 1st.

Knightmare

Coach
Origin has been in existence in its' true form since 1980. Queensland's oldest NRL team has only been in existence since 1988. Lol at Dazzat though- as if Lyon would have behaved any differently if he was a Queenslander. I don't think any teary, revisionist history telling heart-to- hearts with Choppy and Fatty and the Axe would have made any difference to whether or not he played Origin. I hope he has a blinder and proves some on here wrong because when he puts his mind to it, he is an awesome player to watch.

Johnsy, you don't think I could pull 20 quotes off the internet about Blues fans saying they are going to smash QLD? Or that they weren't saying the exact same things in 2001, or 2006, or whenever there was talk of a Blues 'dynasty'?

I don't think even if we get up this year it should count as a dynasty. 'Dynasty' implies an amount of prolonged dominance, and QLD only dominated one series (07 - 06 and 08 were both decided in the last 10 minutes of game 3).

I don't think QLD fans are quite as arrogant as you're trying to make out. Yes, there are the few uneducated dolts but the amount of people I've spoken to that are nervous about Wed night far outweighs them. Origin is not played on paper and I think everyone knows that.

icewind

Juniors
Passion for playing for one's state ... a concept more easily grasped north of the Tweed. Picking Inglis to play for NSW ... that would be like ... picking Lyons to play for NSW.

i think Cliffy might be a bit old to play.. (but still be the best 5/8 lol)

Dazzat

First Grade
Origin has been in existence in its' true form since 1980. Queensland's oldest NRL team has only been in existence since 1988. Lol at Dazzat though- as if Lyon would have behaved any differently if he was a Queenslander. I don't think any teary, revisionist history telling heart-to- hearts with Choppy and Fatty and the Axe would have made any difference to whether or not he played Origin. I hope he has a blinder and proves some on here wrong because when he puts his mind to it, he is an awesome player to watch.

The point is I've never heard one Queenslander carry on like Lyon ... "Don't pick me ..." and then get picked. For Queensland its 'yes' or 'no'.

Regardless of how Lyon performs in this series, I think we're all amazed that the selectors picked him. I mean seriously, if you were hiring a worker who told you, "please, don't hire me" ... would you hire him over another potential employee, with similar ability, who's showing enthusiasm for the position?

Latest posts