What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Gallop apologise to Brett Stewart?

Should Gallop apologise to Brett Stewart?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 138 81.2%

• Total voters

Brutus

Referee
On what DUI Bec's article will be in this Saturday's paper...

One person will be defended to the hilt as per usual, while another two people will cop a spray for "not moving on".

El Diablo

Post Whore
On what DUI Bec's article will be in this Saturday's paper...

One person will be defended to the hilt as per usual, while another two people will cop a spray for "not moving on".

and rightly so looking at the poll

Brutus

Referee
and rightly so looking at the poll

There are a lot of Manly haters out there you know.

Anyway, I think most of the cheersquad have had their two bobs worth so far so just DUI to go.

She's paying $1.01 to do the deed on Saturday.

beads6

First Grade
Brett Stewart should apologize for getting drunk at the NRL season launch when he was the face of the game. Nothing wrong with a few drinks but getting maggot and making a fool of yourself in front of corporate sponsors is seriously dumb and damaging for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Of more interest why did the female juror burst into tears at the reading of Stewarts verdict?

Big Mick

Referee
Brett and Glenn Stewart should apologise for being f**king wankers.

To carry on like that in front of sponsors to the CEO of the league is just dumb.

MSIH

Bench
Brett Stewart should apologize for getting drunk at the NRL season launch when he was the face of the game. Nothing wrong with a few drinks but getting maggot and making a fool of yourself in front of corporate sponsors is seriously dumb and damaging for the game.

Just making up stories now.

ceagle

Bench
Sorry, is this a fact?

Raudonikis

Juniors
Sorry, is this a fact?

you really are a stupid f8888 arent you,he admitted after it he was drunk and cant remember what he done that nite.are you 12 years old or what?with the posts you have come up with the last 3 days?

ceagle

Bench
you really are a stupid f8888 arent you,he admitted after it he was drunk and cant remember what he done that nite.are you 12 years old or what?with the posts you have come up with the last 3 days?
Could someone translate this for me? The question still remains to Beads. Is it proven Brett Stewart made a fool of himself in front of sponsors at the function? And if so, please provide a source.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I have sympathy for Stewart on the evidence that was presented in court it was simply outrageous that it was taken to trial and was a massive waste of money and time. That said his baby wah wah act is taking that away.

ceagle

Bench
Brett needs to move on, but there is no doubt there were double standards involved with the situation.

Garts

Bench

I knew you were thick Tommy but I did not know you were this thick. Do you believe everything printed in the papers? This turned out to be lies and enabled Stewart to get a payout from them. Stick to face slapping.

Sorry, is this a fact?

Brett Stewart labelled "Mr Double Demerit" as Gallop cracks down

BRETT Stewart was last night branded "Mr Double Demerit" as the NRL took its toughest-ever stance to save rugby league's battered image after a decade of scandal.

Making no apologies for personally intervening to have Stewart stood down for the next four weeks, Gallop said the Manly fullback had paid the ultimate price because he had failed in his role as the NRL's face of 2009.

A desire to end the annual cycle of drama that precedes each season also played a large part in Stewart becoming only the second player in NRL history forcibly benched by the game's top official.

"Players shouldn't need to be told that the last weekend before the start of the season is double demerit weekend," Gallop told The Daily Telegraph last night.

"Brett Stewart had a big responsibility to the code and he is now Mr Double Demerit."

Gallop's stern action came yesterday as research by The Daily Telegraph laid bare the full extent of the NRL's ongoing battle with alcohol-fuelled bad behaviour.

In the last 10 years the code has been rocked by at least 80 separate incidents involving booze.

Shame file: rugby league's drunken decade

Revealed: Inside the Manly stoush

Not happy: Smith sick of negative stigma

Players and clubs have shelled out at least $500,000 in fines; over half the incidents have involved police but somehow, despite many serious offences, only one player - Wes Naiqama - ended up with jail time.

Dating back to Julian O'Neill's infamous treatment of teammate Jeremy Schloss's shoe in the 1999 pre-season, the NRL has averaged a new damaging drama on its hands every 45 days for the entire decade.

Stewart is facing a charge of sexually assaulting a 17-year-old girl. He has denied the allegations.

After lengthy deliberations that extended into the early hours of yesterday morning, Manly's board decided the fullback should continue to play. Gallop - who had a "robust" tele-conference with Sea Eagles directors during the

meeting - was disappointed when he discovered the club had failed to act at 1am.

He spent the next three hours pacing the hallway, contemplating what to do next.

"The biggest thing on my mind was that the ball was now in our court," Gallop said. "We wanted Manly to do something and thought they were going to."

Under the NRL's Code of Conduct, Gallop is empowered with the sole discretion to overrule the clubs and suspend any player if he believes a breach has occurred.

In Stewart's case, the NRL relied on a rule that binds players to "sober, professional and courteous behaviour" while consuming alcohol to justify intervention. There are also a number of clauses in Stewart's playing contract and registration form that oblige him to not bring the game into disrepute.

Gallop acted upon being satisfied the 24-year-old had been drunk and refused service during last Friday's now-infamous club season launch.

The term of Stewart's exile was discussed at a meeting between Gallop and top Manly administrators, CEO Grant Mayer and chairman Scott Penn, at NRL headquarters yesterday morning.

The ultimate four-week suspension gives both parties enough time to determine how the case is likely to pan out in the long term, with a hearing not expected for another 9-12 months.

Results from police DNA tests and further witness testimonies will give Manly and Gallop a better idea of whether Stewart should return this season.

"It's in everyone's interest - including Brett Stewart - that the player be taken from the spotlight for the time being," Gallop said.

"I paced around the hallway during the night to come to a decision - but I often do that.

"There was a concern from Manly that Brett could be stood down until the court hearing, which might take a year.

"That was never my intention."

Penn last night confirmed that Manly will not appeal Stewart's suspension.

The club is, however, considering its position on a $100,000 fine levelled by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute at last Friday's function at Manly Wharf Hotel.

Gallop admitted that NRL staff had reacted to the Stewart allegations with a sense of resignation after so many dramas in recent years.

"There was a battle-hardened response - which is not where we want people who work at the NRL to be," he said.

"Something like this should come as a major shock, but unfortunately we've had a lot of experience in recent years."

The list published on these pages - which has even been heavily edited for space reasons - spells that painfully out.

Stewart is not alone in his status as a high-profile offender. Some of the game's biggest names - Brad Fittler, Willie Mason, Craig Gower and Mark Gasnier - have all been involved in trouble while out drinking.

It is not possible to comment on this story for legal reasons

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...llop-cracks-down/story-e6frexni-1111119105168

Garts

Bench

I cant be stuffed looking it up. But there was a settlement and some apology printed in one or some papers due to what was printed about the events of that night and after. However I did not follow it all in as great a detail as others to be honest.

I cant be stuffed looking it up. But there was a settlement and some apology printed in one or some papers due to what was printed about the events of that night and after. However I did not follow it all in as great a detail as others to be honest.

Well then what you just said is hearsay and is baseless, so it does not hold up in this thread as has been said to me.

Provide a source.

Latest posts