What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Luke Burt have been dropped ?

Should Luke Burt have been dropped?

• Total voters

cv8z

Juniors
I heard he had a blinder today.
Maybe Kearney will give Hayne another week to recover and have Burt at fullback tomorrow night.

Suity

For all his smartness and experience up against a woeful opposition
I wouldn't say blinder

Are the same people wanting Kearney sacked the same ones that complained when Ando got punted?
I can bet you that SK will see out his contract and then some.
What he has done in the junior program with the help of Nolan will keep him at the club for a long time, Brian Smith type time.
People don't seem to understand how bad a shape we were in when Kearney took over, he had to start over from stratch nearly and considering the players we had in 2011 they fact we competed in nearly all games and really only had one blow out (against Souths) just shows you what a coach Kearney is. With some luck last year we could have won another 6-8 games and been in the bottom half of the 8.
We now have a good halfback not a stop gap, Hayne can go back to his best position fullback, add a strike centre, a classy 5/8 and a bit more depth then we should challenge for the 8 this year. But what the coaching staff is doing is making sure we are challenging for the title in the long term year after year, it might take a couple years for the plans to come forward but when they do you will all be singing his praises.
Got to get rid of the dead wood first, the ones how got in the midset of near enough is good enough over the years.

Jodeci

Bench
Are the same people wanting Kearney sacked the same ones that complained when Ando got punted?
What he has done in the junior program with the help of Nolan will keep him at the club for a long time, Brian Smith type time.
People don't seem to understand how bad a shape we were in when Kearney took over, he had to start over from stratch nearly and considering the players we had in 2011 they fact we competed in nearly all games and really only had one blow out (against Souths) just shows you what a coach Kearney is. With some luck last year we could have won another 6-8 games and been in the bottom half of the 8.
We now have a good halfback not a stop gap, Hayne can go back to his best position fullback, add a strike centre, a classy 5/8 and a bit more depth then we should challenge for the 8 this year. But what the coaching staff is doing is making sure we are challenging for the title in the long term year after year, it might take a couple years for the plans to come forward but when they do you will all be singing his praises.
Got to get rid of the dead wood first, the ones how got in the midset of near enough is good enough over the years.

Not a bad post.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
You'd expect a guy who has played over 240 odd first grade games to dominate an average reserve grade team.

His defensive issues and lack of involvement and willingness to put his body on the line have been discussed heaps.

Also i'd argue that other teams all have a threat of kicking to the wing in attack if nothing is doing in attack, and it becomes a lottery. Burt can't/won't even contest those kicks. I really fail to see what he offers these days. Other than the fact that he's obviously a great bloke/ clubman and well respected around the place. Tough calls have to be made and I support Kearney fully for making a decision thats not going to be popular but is the right one.

Burt will find his way back anyway, because we lack depth in the outside backs. But this should definately be his last year.

Tony Bongo

Bench
No he shouldn't be dropped according to me if I were coach ( as I think Burt is better than others named), but yes he should be if Kearney thinks it is the best decision, for whatever reasons he has. Kearney is the one who has to accept the consequences of the decision and I am really excited about tomorrow nights game because of the team that has been selected. Put it this way. As much as I have the utmost respect and admiration for Burt and still believe he is a quality first grader, I really hope this pays off and we win tomorrow.
I will be supporting every single one of the 17 players we have playing against the Warriors and that includes the one that has taken Burt's place.

Eels Dude

Coach

Sounds like you're a member of the coaching staff or administration staff with that post. A lot of what you say just reads like a copy and paste from comments Stephen Kearney has made in interviews.

Say what you want about deathriders, but at least the comments made use reasoning and opinion instead of repeating what is being force fed you.

Who's called for Kearney's sacking by the way? Seems slightly off topic.

cv8z

Juniors
You'd expect a guy who has played over 240 odd first grade games to dominate an average reserve grade team.

You'd think today's game would have been an opportunity to prove SK wrong.
He was afterall at the game watching

Willface

Juniors
No he shouldn't be dropped according to me if I were coach ( as I think Burt is better than others named), but yes he should be if Kearney thinks it is the best decision, for whatever reasons he has. Kearney is the one who has to accept the consequences of the decision and I am really excited about tomorrow nights game because of the team that has been selected. Put it this way. As much as I have the utmost respect and admiration for Burt and still believe he is a quality first grader, I really hope this pays off and we win tomorrow.
I will be supporting every single one of the 17 players we have playing against the Warriors and that includes the one that has taken Burt's place.

Luke is that you?

Sounds like you're a member of the coaching staff or administration staff with that post. A lot of what you say just reads like a copy and paste from comments Stephen Kearney has made in interviews.

Say what you want about deathriders, but at least the comments made use reasoning and opinion instead of repeating what is being force fed you.

Who's called for Kearney's sacking by the way? Seems slightly off topic.
There have been plenty saying on here, twitter etc that Kearney should be sacked if we don't make 8. Even has been some on twitter saying that he should be sacked for dropping Burt. I'm sorry if a sensible post got mixed up with all the crap on here lately.
No I'm not on the coaching staff nor have i spoken directly to anyone on the coaching staff but have spoken to people who have and have made a comment based on my opinion of what is happening and some facts i have been told regarding the lack of interest it seems in the juniors by the last 2 coaches or you can call it negletic it you like.
I must say most of the posts bagging SK and saying he should be sacked if we don't make the 8 have been by people who must be kids or have the intellect of one.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Say what you want about deathriders, but at least the comments made use reasoning and opinion

So which is it? Reasoning or opinion?

The deathriders base all their decisions on the fact that we were coming last after round 25 last year. That's the only fact they have, and it's poor reasoning to use the results of one understrength season as the basis for judging a coach that has been brought in to rebuild the club for long-term success.

That's my opinion.

hindy111

Post Whore
Burt should of been IMO.But morgan should be in the side before Cheyse blair-I find that an odd one

ShaunC

Juniors
I've got no problem with Kearney dropping Burt. He is a smart footy player in attack but his defensive capabilities are lacking and I understand what Kearney is thinking. Tough decision but if Kearney is to get the Eels winning then it has to be done.

But I am not to bury Bury but praise him. He has been a great clubman over the decade an asset to the Eels. I do hope he gets the great send off this season that he (and Hindy) deserve.

Eels Dude

Coach
There have been plenty saying on here, twitter etc that Kearney should be sacked if we don't make 8. Even has been some on twitter saying that he should be sacked for dropping Burt. I'm sorry if a sensible post got mixed up with all the crap on here lately.
No I'm not on the coaching staff nor have i spoken directly to anyone on the coaching staff but have spoken to people who have and have made a comment based on my opinion of what is happening and some facts i have been told regarding the lack of interest it seems in the juniors by the last 2 coaches or you can call it negletic it you like.
I must say most of the posts bagging SK and saying he should be sacked if we don't make the 8 have been by people who must be kids or have the intellect of one.

I dunno about twitter, but when it comes to people on here, I don't recall anyone saying he should be "sacked" per se, but rather he shouldn't be retained until the results start showing on the field. And that includes contract extentions. It's not too much to ask really. If we don't make the 8 this year then of course the club should re-assess if they want to retain him beyond 2013. It's common sense. That's not suggesting he should be sacked at all.

While what you've been told might sound good, you can't blame others for wanting to wait until we start performing on the field until praising SK. Until we start winning it's still up to debate as to whether he's the right coach for us at this particular time.

Latest posts