What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Luke Burt have been dropped ?

Should Luke Burt have been dropped?

• Total voters

bartman

Immortal
What if we end up 4 wins from 5 games? Is that too early to give him an extension?

Or is it just not-too-early to ruin his career?
I'd say after 8 games this season, the Board could then legitimately form a view as to whether an (early) extension was in order or not.

If we are a healthy 4 from 5 (and go onto be say 6 from 8) and they are happy with everything behind the scenes as well, then sure, sign SK up for a further 2 years! But if we are 0 from 5 (and can only be 3 from 8 at best) then any hope of any extension must - surely - be delayed until SK shows he can get an NRL side performing well and into the top 8?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
but I'd say Burt will be back in a FG wing spot (rather than filling in at fullback) shortly - especially after the reports of his performance today.

It certainly looks like Burt isn't even second choice fullback now, considering Mullaney played fullback today. Makes one wonder why Mullaney didn't play at the back in first grade last week.

Unless Burt played wing for Wenty in order to fit both him and Mullaney into the team (assuming Mullaney can't play wing). Or maybe the Wenty coach just didn't want to ruin the team's defensive cohesion by bringing in a new fullback and centre, and so just threw Burt and Morgan in on the wings.

That said, I understood that our lower grade teams are there for preparing players for first grade (through development and match fitness) rather than just for winning NSW Cup games. So I'd say Burt played wing so Mullaney could stay in the team, and Morgan played wing because neither of the NSW cup centres can play there.

Just trying to think logically. :p

barney gumble

Juniors
W Morgan is 21 years old. It still is 'early in his career'.

You reckon this is his first?

!

Well, Burt debut as a 17 year old. He is our highest all time try scorer, He is in the top 10 point scorers of all time, he has close to a 90% goal kicking average, he has equal most points scored in a match for the Eels, He is a one club player.

So tell me mate, considering we have only played one game this year, yes I believe round one was his only poor game, which other games are you referring too that warrant his dropping?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd say after 8 games this season, the Board could then legitimately form a view as to whether an (early) extension was in order or not.

If we are a healthy 4 from 5 (and go onto be say 6 from 8) and they are happy with everything behind the scenes as well, then sure, sign SK up for a further 2 years! But if we are 0 from 5 (and can only be 3 from 8 at best) then any hope of any extension must - surely - be delayed until SK shows he can get an NRL side performing well and into the top 8?

Agree totally.

If we end up 0 from 5 I'd be pretty convinced Kearney isn't the right man for our club. Even 2 from 5 would be a concern.

Parra

Referee
Don't do that mate. This is a place for emotion and bullshit.

In your world the emo bullshit rules.

The rest of us know how to keep score. So does the NRL. They count points and wins.

The time for excuses was over last year. But the wankers who pushed the "building" barrow dominated.

This year watch the scoreboard. And drop the emotion and bullshit.

But that will not suit your angle. So carry on.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well, Burt debut as a 17 year old. He is our highest all time try scorer, He is in the top 10 point scorers of all time, he has close to a 90% goal kicking average, he has equal most points scored in a match for the Eels, He is a one club player.

All true, and an absolute club legend. But we'd hardly give Sterlo a go in first grade if he turned up with his boots and asked for a run.

The past is the past mate. We want to win this week.

So tell me mate, considering we have only played one game this year, yes I believe round one was his only poor game, which other games are you referring too that warrant his dropping?

All of the games he's been ordinary in since 2009 where he's only kept his spot through goalkicking.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In your world the emo bullshit rules.

The rest of us know how to keep score. So does the NRL. They count points and wins.

The time for excuses was over last year. But the wankers who pushed the "building" barrow dominated.

This year watch the scoreboard. And drop the emotion and bullshit.

But that will not suit your angle. So carry on.

Whatever merkin.

I've repeatedly said this year isn't a rebuilding year. Last year definitely was but this year we're a good chance of making the eight.

But it sounds like you've written us off already.

bartman

Immortal
To be honest, it's probably time to give other players a go as back-up fullback when the opportunity arises. Maybe SK see Blair as someone with fullback potential too, and last week gave him his debut in a non-pressure position (and a second run this week), so Burt can stay on the wing and then Blair can step up at the back come origin time?

There must have been a reason SK went with Blair over Mullaney to come and debut in last week's side - if Blair can cover wing and fullback, he'll develop into a valuable member of the starting 17 in 2013. Though reports from those that watch suggest Mullaney wouldn't disappoint if given a chance at the back in FG too?

We can presume there will be three games around Origin time where Hayne may not be available (or could do with a rest)... looking o the future, SK could probably give Blair, Mullaney plus someone else all a go at FG fullback and take his pick for the back-up to Hayne in 2013.

Willface

Juniors
All true, and an absolute club legend. But we'd hardly give Sterlo a go in first grade if he turned up with his boots and asked for a run.

The past is the past mate. We want to win this week.

All of the games he's been ordinary in since 2009 where he's only kept his spot through goalkicking.

Agree 100%. Has been a passenger surviving off his place kicking for a very long time

Parra

Referee
Whatever merkin.

I've repeatedly said this year isn't a rebuilding year. Last year definitely was but this year we're a good chance of making the eight.

But it sounds like you've written us off already.

yeah whatever.

Dropping Burt is a huge mistake.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd love for us to be 4 from 5... but at this stage I actually expect that we will end up 2 from 5.

Given all the home games, 2 from 5 is only barely acceptable. Dropping 2 points last week with Hayne out hurt us on the table. With the comp so even every 2 points will count.

Considering injuries and the new halves, we might be better off judging the team closer to mid-season, but I would still expect us to have won half our games by then.