What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary be sacked?

Should Mary be saked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they drag out Mary's tenure like Price, then us supporters need to vote with our feet. Boycott games/membership. I know it's not ideal, but it's the only language these guys understand.

Yeah, when I suggest that I get labelled all sorts of names.

Like the coach, most on this forum are a little slow. Maybe you should sack yourselves.

Straight Shooter

Tuddy

Juniors
Yeah, when I suggest that I get labelled all sorts of names.

Like the coach, most on this forum are a little slow. Maybe you should sack yourselves.

Straight Shooter

Look mate I'm going to say sorry in advance but I just can't resist.

I'd rather be a slow straight shooter than a faster more premature straight shooter......know what I mean?

Lex

Juniors
Whilst that is true at least the teams could still attack and score tries under the above mentioned coaches.

I think our current team 'can' attack; however, they don't do so very well at all.

Not that it matters much as there is far more to a side being well coached than simple statistics ... but ...:

Glossop - 41% win record with the Dragons
Farrar - 43% win record with the Dragons (I think this excludes his co-tenure with Waite)
MacGregor - currently 47%

All 3 'mediocre' ...

NB: I am ambivalent to MacGregor being sacked. I think he will be given the rest of this year.

thebigredv

First Grade
I think our current team 'can' attack; however, they don't do so very well at all.

Not that it matters much as there is far more to a side being well coached than simple statistics ... but ...:

Farrar - 43% win record with the Dragons (I think this excludes his co-tenure with Waite)

All 3 'mediocre' ...

NB: I am ambivalent to MacGregor being sacked. I think he will be given the rest of this year.

About the same as you Lex. McGregor will be given the year no matter what. I am not a big fan of him but it must be said he has inferior 'cattle' to what Farrar had, in his defence. Partly to blame for that too.

Minh

First Grade

All 3 'mediocre' ...

The worst was Price hands down....

Bench
Mary should be given control for the rest of the season and maybe next year depending who we recruit but he needs to be on a short leach

Lethal25

Juniors
Personally I'd like to see Toovey be the coach. Tough, proven and available

Speaking to a Manly insider they tell me since he left the joint is struggling. A lot of the staff want him back

SBD82

Coach
Personally I'd like to see Toovey be the coach. Tough, proven and available

Speaking to a Manly insider they tell me since he left the joint is struggling. A lot of the staff want him back

I'm not as sure about toovey as others are. He inherited a very stable core of a good team. He also inherited very good systems that des had in place long term. When the team started losing the core he started to really struggle. I think that was a difficult situation to manage and others maybe couldn't have managed it any better. But I'm not sure he deserves the plaudits after inheriting such a good side.

BennyV

Referee
Toovey, no. We need someone experienced in building up from the bottom, not someone experienced in taking over and going downhill.

Lethal25

Juniors
I'm not as sure about toovey as others are. He inherited a very stable core of a good team. He also inherited very good systems that des had in place long term. When the team started losing the core he started to really struggle. I think that was a difficult situation to manage and others maybe couldn't have managed it any better. But I'm not sure he deserves the plaudits after inheriting such a good side.

I'm only passing on information from someone I know and trust who sits in the Manly box. They've been there for the Hasler years as well as Toovey and now Barrett.

Their words were the club was very well run under Toovey. Not so much right now.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Brian Smith, but on the strict proviso that his job is to build up the squad to be competitive for the next 10 years, not necessarily win a comp asap. Have Demetriou as his assistant with the view of taking over after 2-3 years. Then Smith can revert back to a coaching consultant/junior development advisor. And if we win a comp, give him a ring too ala Phil Gould/Stuart at the rorters in 2002.

since77

Juniors
The depressing things is we all know it ain't going to happen. Should happen. Has to happen in order to improve. But it won't. Not in 2016 anyway.

The best motivator for change is money. Stop attending games. Cancel memberships. Don't buy merchandise. Write to the club and tell them that they won't get a cent out of you until change happens. Ironically, it may be the best possible way for your to support your team at the moment.

SBD82

Coach
I'm only passing on information from someone I know and trust who sits in the Manly box. They've been there for the Hasler years as well as Toovey and now Barrett.

Their words were the club was very well run under Toovey. Not so much right now.

Sorry if it seemed that I was being dismissive. The guy that told you obviously would have info. I just don't think toovey has had an opportunity to prove that he can build a squad. Walking into our systems now would be a lot different to taking over what des left behind.

Fwiw. I thought manly made poor choice taking Barrett over toovey. Time will tell.

grouch

First Grade
The depressing things is we all know it ain't going to happen. Should happen. Has to happen in order to improve. But it won't. Not in 2016 anyway.

The best motivator for change is money. Stop attending games. Cancel memberships. Don't buy merchandise. Write to the club and tell them that they won't get a cent out of you until change happens. Ironically, it may be the best possible way for your to support your team at the moment.

Sadly, we need a couple (more) floggings in succession. That's what forced the club to sack Price. It's our only hope of sacking Mr DUI and moving forward. Short term pain

SBD82

Coach
Sadly, we need a couple (more) floggings in succession. That's what forced the club to sack Price. It's our only hope of sacking Mr DUI and moving forward. Short term pain

Lets all be careful. If we sack Mary and let Doust make an appointment we are just as likely to end up with Daley as coach.

Dragons 09

Juniors

Unfortunately, it might take a fair bit more than a few consecutive floggings before sanity prevails.

For a start, they waited until Price's winning percentage had fallen to 38% before they decided to act and Mary is sitting at 48%......that's a lot more heartache before he starts equaling Prices stats. In fact, we would have to lose the next 13 games straight for Mary to have a 38% win rate:shock:

Then there's the power struggle at play between Saints and Illawarra hierarchy. Mid season 2014, we were within a bees penis from re signing Bennett for 2015 and beyond and while these negotiations were underway, board member Sean O'Connor (1 of 4 Illawarra members on the board) was telling anyone in the Wollongong media who would listen that Mary was our preferred man. Now you can take this any way you choose, but to me, it was a deliberate attempt to derail negotiations with Bennett by giving the impression of an unstable board/club and as a "shot across the bow" of the establishment after the decision to take 2 games away from the Gong pissed off the Steelers contingency as that decision triggered interest payments (for breach of agreement) be made immediately to Bruce Gordon for a loan he gave the club. Also, if Bennett was signed, Mary (the Gongs favourite son) would have had to exit stage left (Bennett wouldn't of let him near the place) and certain Illawarra factions were feeling as though they were being dictated to by big brother. When Bennett gave us the flick, Mary was quickly given a 3 year deal and i believe this was a "peace offering" of sorts, designed to settle the unrest between the 2 JV organisations.............a weak and reactive decision in my opinion.

And then there's the DUI incident. If there was a genuine consideration by the powers to be to send Mary packing mid season, surely they had the perfect opportunity to set the wheels in motion when he was done for DUI. They could have taken that opportunity to stand Mary down for a couple of weeks (which is exactly what would of happened if one of our players were caught for DUI) and bring in Jason Demetriou to take over the side during this period and tell him he had an open license to put his stamp on the side and do what he saw fit. This would of at least given an opportunity to see what life looked like without Mary. But instead, we told him we were disappointed in him, gave him a fine (did we really:roll:) and told him to carry on regardless. Why this approach? why the double standards? Did the imminent Gordon deal negotiations have an impact on our decision to turn a blind eye? Was there some "if you do that i will do this" going on here? Unless you are part of the inner sanctum i guess you will never know, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.......

We appear to be on a highway to nowhere at the moment and i just don't see any attempt to program the GPS towards a destination. We are floundering as a playing unit with very little team growth week in and week out, in fact, most of our players are going backwards, we don't experiment, we play like we are coached to perform exactly the same game plan regardless of who our opposition is, our coach appears to be selfish and is putting his job before the team by being happy to grind to a close win or a close loss so as to finish in a spot on the ladder that is not low enough to sack him, but as a consequence not high enough to be a real finals contender, and the powers to be, the people who can change all this in an instant, seem to be too preoccupied in their own little power struggle and jockeying for position to have the time or inclination to make the tough decisions that need to be made in order to give us a fighting chance of success.

This is obviously only my opinion and might seem like total BS and a misinformed nonfactual hypothesis to most, but this shite is just too much like ground hog day to just be a speed bump on the highway to success. It's more like a mountain that has no peak, in fact, it's a freakin virus that just keeps on crippling. The longer virus is left to wreak havoc without treatment, the longer the road to recovery........Hope we all live long enough to see it, but i for one can't wait another 31 years.