What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary be sacked?

Should Mary be saked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minh

First Grade
David Waite did an amazing job getting that team into the GF that year in 1996, in truth we had a much better chance of winning the comp in 1995 with Gordan Tallis in the team but we lost to Caterbury 7-6 in the semi final or something, I was at that match....

thebigredv

First Grade
If it has to be a new coach, would love to see Tony Smith there are simply no other viable options out there that I think would do much better, Toovey pass, Cleary possibly....when you have coaches like Trent Barrett, Taylor and Mc Fadden, you know that coaching stocks aren't that strong....The truth is anybody can coach the Broncos and Cowboys successfully with their playing roster. Anybody could have coached Souths and Roosters 2013/2014 version, look how they come back to the field with less star players...

Agree completely. I'd be happy with Cleary or Smith. Slim pickings otherwise. Who will be the next 99' Dragon to get a coaching gig? Ainscough?

I think Mary has a huge effect on the team. Just not a good one.

Tuddy

Juniors
On a related note I'm curious why an inexperienced, unproven coach has more than a twelve month contract. I know a lot of people with far more experience than McGregor who are employed on that basis.

I could live with the fact that he has the full season to try and turn things around, but it's hard to take knowing the club (and RedV members) have to pay through 2017 for a coach that can seemingly not get his team to produce quality football.

Well funny enough i keep hearing Saint George are suppoed to be the bigger part of the merger yet when it comes to agreeing on a coach the so called Illawarra Mafia holds power.

I for one think its an utter load of crap, yes the appointment was wrong but can you honestly tell me Doust didn't have more of a say if the rumours are true and he wanted Brown instead of Mary.

I am not privy to any facts or inside info but something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

The Cobra

Juniors
As I posted on the souths gameday thread,Mary has had this tem in training since early November,he has obviously coached them to play this way.Either that or they have no respect for him or his coaching.It is either one,but whichever it is he has to be replaced,NOW.Another thing itHAS TO BE SOMEONE FROM OUTSIDE THE CLUB FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coffs dragon

Bench
As I posted on the souths gameday thread,Mary has had this tem in training since early November,he has obviously coached them to play this way.Either that or they have no respect for him or his coaching.It is either one,but whichever it is he has to be replaced,NOW.Another thing itHAS TO BE SOMEONE FROM OUTSIDE THE CLUB FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So true & I agree 100%. As it stands, Mary will join the ranks of Steve Price and Craig Young as being the 3 worst coaches in Dragons History.
At least St.George had the balls to sack Craig Young as coach even though he was a club legend.
Will the Steelers admit & allow the removal of one of their favourite sons? He has the team playing poor quality football that is painful to watch with the 2nd worse points differential of -103. Time for Action and sharpen the axe.

barry

Juniors
He should not have been hired in the first place.

We need someone like Ivan cleary but he will be taken by the end of the weekend by the Warriors

catweasel

Juniors

The famous coach Steve Price? Or you pick up McFadden cheap soon.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
I am sure Paul MCGregor is a good straight shooter,but his ability to coach and identify talent is limited.This is confirmed via the poor standard of football being delivered by his squad over the past two years,and the number of young players developed into the NRL.The good ones go elsewhere for a chance.
Honestly to watch the Dragons play is a misery in its self and we are by far the worst example of any team trying to play the wonderful game of Rugby League.

Red V for life

Juniors
I am sure Paul MCGregor is a good straight shooter,but his ability to coach and identify talent is limited.This is confirmed via the poor standard of football being delivered by his squad over the past two years,and the number of young players developed into the NRL.The good ones go elsewhere for a chance.
Honestly to watch the Dragons play is a misery in its self and we are by far the worst example of any team trying to play the wonderful game of Rugby League.

I'll support the team to the end, but i agree, there is no enjoyment in watching the quality of our performances.

As recently as the Bennett era, I was not interested in any other games other than the Dragons' games. Progressively, that has changed. I now tune into most games just to see some actual decent footy being played.

Sad state of affairs.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hell no.

Mary was a great player, not so a coach, so keep.... troll.

But when a shark wants you keep him, you know things isn't right.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Unfortunately our season will be over after the next 2 rounds. In hindsight we overachieved last year which we were all ecstatic about. However, McGregor has not learnt anything from last season and has remained a one dimensional coach and has not developed. Despite him stating we have a much stronger squad this year we are playing far worse in both attack and defence. This is the Price era all over again with the coach now only trying to protect his own job and maintaining the status quo with selections week after week. At least he should be trying to inject some spark into this team, but this is proving to be too adventurous for him and his ultra conservative mentality.

Up to the club to decide now whether they are happy for this to continue thru 2017 when his contract ends or make the Dragons a real force in the competition.

inside_pass

Bench
Unfortunately our season will be over after the next 2 rounds. In hindsight we overachieved last year which we were all ecstatic about. However, McGregor has not learnt anything from last season and has remained a one dimensional coach and has not developed. Despite him stating we have a much stronger squad this year we are playing far worse in both attack and defence. This is the Price era all over again with the coach now only trying to protect his own job and maintaining the status quo with selections week after week. At least he should be trying to inject some spark into this team, but this is proving to be too adventurous for him and his ultra conservative mentality.

Up to the club to decide now whether they are happy for this to continue thru 2017 when his contract ends or make the Dragons a real force in the competition.
Well said.
I can't see the club sacking him straight away because then they are admitting they stuffed up in appointing McGregor in the first place.
It will drag out like it did with Price!

Lex

Juniors
So true & I agree 100%. As it stands, Mary will join the ranks of Steve Price and Craig Young as being the 3 worst coaches in Dragons History.
At least St.George had the balls to sack Craig Young as coach even though he was a club legend.
Will the Steelers admit & allow the removal of one of their favourite sons? He has the team playing poor quality football that is painful to watch with the 2nd worse points differential of -103. Time for Action and sharpen the axe.

Ted Glossop wasn't that crash hot in his time at the Dragons, nor was Andrew Farrar when he gained sole coaching rights.

getsmarty

Immortal

Agree...100%

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ted Glossop wasn't that crash hot in his time at the Dragons, nor was Andrew Farrar when he gained sole coaching rights.
Whilst that is true at least the teams could still attack and score tries under the above mentioned coaches.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
If they drag out Mary's tenure like Price, then us supporters need to vote with our feet. Boycott games/membership. I know it's not ideal, but it's the only language these guys understand.

getsmarty

Immortal
If they drag out Mary's tenure like Price, then us supporters need to vote with our feet. Boycott games/membership. I know it's not ideal, but it's the only language these guys understand.

Hopefully it won't came to that but...if that's the only thing that they will listen to then yes, agree it may be an option.

At the end of the day people aren't going to games and the membership numbers are already down so people are already doing it.

denis preston

First Grade

My thoughts exactly.As i said on another post the long term benefit to the team would be to not make the 8 so the club has no excuse. If they retain him I don't know how going private ownership could be any worse.

Latest posts