What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NZ become an AFL nation?

Te Kaha

First Grade
grayham said:
ThrashViking said:
Uhh..What a stupid topic
No one LIKES AFL IN NEW ZEALAND
Our 'Grass roots' is a social league for crying out loud!

Sounds like Rugby Union in Australia then.

Except that the Aussie rules social league is ALL there is. At least Rugby in Aussie has a decent setup.

XXXX

Juniors
"At least Rugby in Aussie has a decent setup."

In NSW and QLD YES .

The hardest targets for expansion are those where there are closed minds .For AFL Sydney is regarded as the all time hardest .For RL it would be Melbourne .Both codes would find it difficult to overcome RU in NZ .However places like North America and Europe are a lot more open to looking at new games .

ripper

grayham said:
dimitri said:
Also, the IR has got the crowds,

i think you will find that all the ashes tests are sold out

the last 2 aus tests in sydney have been sold out

Always seem to be playing in "smaller" venues though. Another desperate attempt to look like a real sport.

The Ashes Leage tests were all in 22 odd thou stadiums

Ribs

Bench
goldmember5.jpg

Craig

Juniors
There is as much chance of AFL taking off in NZ as there is off Newtown winning this year's premiership.

shiznit

Coach
hahaha this is the funniest topic ever.
looking at the whole topic i cant believe someone actually seriously thought it was possible.
the Biggest Union Crowds in Australia (even in melbourne the AFL homeland) attract 50,000 plus.
the biggest AFL crowds in NZ attract most probably less then 500 people. :lol:
this is a true classic. :lol:

ThrashViking

Juniors
500? They'll be lucky to get 5 people in attendance.
The biggest AFL competition outside Australia attracts on average a grand total of 60 people, watch out rugby union and league
:lol: :lol: :lol:

After reading all five pages of this topic....i really don't get people thinking that AFL could take off in NZ. It really is STUPID, League got its big chance when the '89 GF was aired, and it flourished, with the games starting to be aired and people watching them.
Yet AFL has been tried, and failed.

You point out that AFL has a growing following at grass roots level. Yet touch footy has a far larger following, with the sport played throughout the country, yet we don't see a thread
"Should NZ become a Touch rugby nation?"
In fact i could list a stupidly large amount of sports that have a bigger following than AFL, hell, even the sport me and my friends made had more interest than AFL.

One of the reasons League is so big in NZ, is that a lot of Maori's and Polynesians play it. They generally LOVE big hits, lots of contact, and a lot of bruises and bumps.

Could you see them flocking to a game full of kicking??

Jonny Wilkinson and England are held in a low regard by most rugby followers in NZ, why? because all they do is KICK, and you can see these peoples flocking to the sport where all they do is kick, and nothing else (yes, RU does have some running)

Most people have no idea how to play AFL, or care. The people who do know how to play, hate it. When i explain how to play AFL to them (some people have been curious) they recoiled in horror and say
"That sounds like a gay sport, no wonder Aussies like it"

A good example of this was when me and my friends decided to have a little game, they were curious and i was happy to show them a little bit. After a few kicks we decided that it was the worst type of procrastinating in the world, and then burnt out AFL for a while.

Nothing anyone can say could convince me that AFL could take off in NZ, there are just WAY too many sports that would take off in NZ far quicker and have far more people than AFL.

I asked my friend if he knew about AFL, i pretended i liked it, he said
"You like AFL? you're a homo"
Sure the 'homo' bit is very immature (espicially for a 14 year old) but it is pretty much the attitude towards AFL in NZ.

After reading all this thread i have come to the conclusion that...

A. Grayham should have been spat into the sheets

B.Sterilisation should be mandatory for AFL fans,So that in a few yrs the collective IQ of Australia will rise considerably.

Latest posts