What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should NZ become an AFL nation?

Auckland4ever

Juniors
grayham said:
Hopefully NZ as a country will grow up in the next decades and remove its cultural cringe to always want to prove itself on the international stage, and embrase sport simply for its skill and excitement.

People in NZ do embrace sports for their skill & excitement. Thats why Aussie Rules attracts so little interest. People are familiar with it, but it just doesnt seem to strike a chord with many other than expat Australians.

Its very difficult to imagine Australian rules ever becoming a significant part of NZ sporting culture. If the AFL marketing men try to crack the NZ market, hopefully their approach will be a little less condescending than yours. Connotations are difficult things to remove. I'm sure "KiwiKick" will begin to challenge rounders & paddatennis in the playgrounds, though.

Alan Shore

First Grade
grayham said:
ParraEelsNRL said:
the only code that has a chance of taking over union in N.Z is league(maybe soccer) the only place that likes a.f.l is a couple of states in australia.when league pull there finger out and start to play by the same rules as othe codes,league WILL take over australia and will be challenging union in kiwi land.

A.F.L is a sport that doesnt look good on t.v,so that means it will never be big anywhere as you need people to watch it on t.v before they will start to play it.todays sports are made for t.v,thus a.f.l will go backwards at a very fast rate.

WATCH OUT A.F.L .....................LEAGUE IS OUT TO GET YOU

League "should" have a better chance in NZ, but it has too much antagonistic history with Union, that they will be eternally bickering with each other leaving the door open to other codes like AFL.

AFL is by far the dominant TV sport in australia so I have no idea why you think its not a TV sport. As AFL is a game with many aspects, it will only go forward as a TV sport with advancements in technology.

Pfft, yeah right. NRL outrates the Victorian Ballet by a country mile. Dominant? What a load of crap.

grayham

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Pfft, yeah right. NRL outrates the Victorian Ballet by a country mile. Dominant? What a load of crap.

NRL doesnt even get close.

Tamazoid and Dimitri should know better than to bag AFL expansion predictions. Both still havent accepted that AFL is firmly entrenced in the so called rugby states of australia.

dimitri

First Grade
In NSW (+act) and QLD rl domintates the television

they have a combined population of nearly 11 million yet the tv ratings only count bout 7 million (urban viwers)

RL is by far a more popular tv sport

........................... and then there is FOX SPORTS

SUPER SATURDAY
= 3 consecutive games sometimes 4

Sunday there is normally 2 or 3 games shown

add up all those figures and its a huge amount

I can tell you from my marketing research that FOX FOOTY CHANNEL hasnt got good subscription figures at all in nsw, act or qld

grayham

Juniors
dimitri said:
they have a combined population of nearly 11 million yet the tv ratings only count bout 7 million (urban viwers)
SUPER SATURDAY
I can tell you from my marketing research that FOX FOOTY CHANNEL hasnt got good subscription figures at all in nsw, act or qld

No, AFL dominates TV coverage. AFL on friday night beats NRL on friday nights nationwide. AFL on Saturday day and night on ten easily beats foxtel, and AFL at 1pm Sunday slaughters foxtel, and AFL on Sunday at 4pm beats NRL at 4pm nationwide.
Then Foxtel shows 2x 24 hour channels of AFL every day of the week.

A complete and utter slaughter.

Even in the "rugby" states, AFL has beat NRL head to head on occation. The Lions went up against RL twice in similar prime time spots this years and won both. But like your Bronco v Lion crowd figures Dimi, I guess you'd like to forget that one. :D

BTW, when is Lang Park going to save QLD RL?

Jonno

Juniors
grayham said:
bayrep said:
I have heard reports again that they are floating the idea of an 80K stadium. The debate is to either have it in central Auckland where there is a huge population base or have it in the middle of the north island were you rely on the fans to travel from either end of the north island atleast to fill it.

Great idea, although it would have to be Auckland. Take a look at the history of Waverly in Melbourne (90,000 seat stadium, with plans for up to 200,000) which died simply because it didnt have any public transport to it (and it was in a rain belt without a roof), or Stade de Oz which is struggling for sport simply because its a bit out of town.
If there one lesson here, build it within walking distance of the CBD, and transport hubs. You cant service these types of stadiums with car parks.

Stade de Oz is struggling?

Last report I heard it was making record profits,and what sport was it struggling with?It boasts the largest events that Sydney could muster.Even AFL got 70,000++ for a couple of games this year apart from hosting the showpiece games for both Rugby union and league.According to austadiums.com,it averages nearlly 50,000 per game and over 1 million spectators just for 2003 alone.Even the canterbury bulldogs got 30,000 per game there this year.
Obviously,you have never been to Homebush if you think that its not serviced by public transport.

Kiwi

First Grade
SHAGMOP said:
new zealand, our close neighbours to the east are very close to us culturally. they compete in almost all sports that we do and are somethimes give us a run for our money, especially in RU. do u think that they would that we should give them a chance to enter a team (or 2) into the AFL? they would probably be the easiest nation to get involved into AFL for the simple reason they have the ability to follow it. it would make for much interesting change and help in the international growth of the game

for starters in RU we more times than not belt the crap out of you, only recently has OZ pegged that back, and it looks like we are gonna dominate there again for a while to come. Oz has nobody of not coming through anNZ has a tonne of young talent coming through.

Next League struggles in NZ, even with the warriors doing so well over the last few years. NZ is a rugby union country plain and simple. AFL wouldn't stand a chance of doing much there. People just don't care about it in New Zealand.

Kiwi

First Grade
grayham said:
dimitri said:
SUPER SATURDAY

No, AFL dominates TV coverage. AFL on friday night beats NRL on friday nights nationwide. AFL on Saturday day and night on ten easily beats foxtel, and AFL at 1pm Sunday slaughters foxtel, and AFL on Sunday at 4pm beats NRL at 4pm nationwide.
Then Foxtel shows 2x 24 hour channels of AFL every day of the week.

A complete and utter slaughter.

Even in the "rugby" states, AFL has beat NRL head to head on occation. The Lions went up against RL twice in similar prime time spots this years and won both. But like your Bronco v Lion crowd figures Dimi, I guess you'd like to forget that one. :D

BTW, when is Lang Park going to save QLD RL?

Are you using Oztam for league and the Nielson ( I think it's called ) one for AFL? or OzTam for both? You surely aren't using the Nielson one for League, because if you were then League would slaughter AFL in terms of TV ratings. I've seen airial ping pong fans use OzTam for league ( which only covers capitol cities ) and the Nielson one for ping pong because it covers rural areas such as rural qld and nsw aswell, because it gave ping pong a slight win on the tv ratings stakes.

grayham

Juniors
Ah the old Neilson chestnut. A well worn, but utlimately futile, comeback.

It doesnt matter which you use. The only time the NRL even gets close to AFL is the grand final, and thats only because the NRL moved to prime time in a desperate attempt to claw back some ground.

Thems the facts kiddies.

dimitri

First Grade
the nrl made a decision to move to prime time as a sound business decision

to attract more sponsors etc etc

desperate?

the only desperate thing ive seen is the AFL's pathetic attempt to have international football against a gaelic team

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

grayham

Juniors
Desperate cash grab, throwing tradition out the window. The ultimate in prefabricated franchise based decisions that would make rupert proud.

Also, the IR has got the crowds, the close results, and the ratings to put international league to shame. Shame, shame, shame.
:D

zulu

Juniors
Good ole Gra. Never fails to use either union or league to suit his AFL agenda.

dimitri

First Grade
Also, the IR has got the crowds,

i think you will find that all the ashes tests are sold out

the last 2 aus tests in sydney have been sold out

we have got crowds to world cup finals that only

aussie rules or is it international rules can only dream of

oh yeah thats right australia doesnt play at the aussie/int rules world cup because they would win 500-0

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dimitri said:
Also, the IR has got the crowds,
i think you will find that all the ashes tests are sold out
the last 2 aus tests in sydney have been sold out
we have got crowds to world cup finals that only
aussie rules or is it international rules can only dream of
oh yeah thats right australia doesnt play at the aussie/int rules world cup because they would win 500-0

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The IR test in Melbourne had a crowd of over 60,000. The Ashes games won't be getting that many, I woudn't have thought.

There's no IR world cup - you mean the Aussie Rules World Cup (and you have a good point but I've yet to find an AR fan who really cares).

Latest posts