What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Slater miss the Grand Final for his shoulder charge?

Should Slater be suspended from the GF for shoulder charge?

• yes

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • no

Votes: 25 42.4%

• Total voters

ouryears

Bench
Whether it warrants suspension or not(I believe he should be)it won’t happen. You can bank on body movement experts, past footage & a 2nd shooter JFK theory to see him cleared.
Ha ha, funny mate
Don’t forget it wasn’t slater who did it
It was a look alike
They will have to DNA it and even then they will say it was inconclusive

ouryears

Bench
Bu
Yes and I'm tired of the one rule for Melbourne and another for us.
But possum, Melbourne ( purple cheaters) have done soooo much for the game
Without them the game would not have survived
They are an ornament to our game
They are also the reason QLD have won so many SOO series
They are a club that respect the rules, except the one about don’t spend and then hide millions of dollars paid to players over the cap
But that’s just a lil old mistake caused by a malfunctioning calculator
They reinvented our game for the better with their exciting wrestling tactics
Sheeze, even the Olympic wrestling coach wants their players
Possm, be more respectful of a great, honest, and trustworthy club

Mr Red

First Grade
Let’s look at this objectively....
Take out of the equation it is Melbourne Storm , who a lot of people hate
Take out of the equation it was Billy Slater, who may or may not be well liked

What we witnessed was a guy in a CONTACT SPORT putting his body on the line for his team to stop a try in a very important game. The ball carrier wasn’t blind sided and he had full opportunity to brace for the impact.

As a fan this is exactly what you expect the players you support to do.... and yet according to ridiculous knee jerk NRL rules, a player instead of being praised for his efforts now risks missing the most important game of the season...

Not right is it? The NRL have a lot to answer for.... it’s a disgrace

Fire

First Grade
Should've been binned. Doesn't warrant a suspension.

On another note how good was it watching Peptides R Us get knocked out.

Hope Melbourne lose next week though. I want us to be the first team to go back-to-back in 2019-2020.

Datramp

Juniors
Dislike Slater as much as the next guy. Should have been a sin bin, but to suspend him for that is crazy. Especially since we see worse shoulder charges every week not get even penalised.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Let’s look at this objectively....
Take out of the equation it is Melbourne Storm , who a lot of people hate
Take out of the equation it was Billy Slater, who may or may not be well liked

What we witnessed was a guy in a CONTACT SPORT putting his body on the line for his team to stop a try in a very important game. The ball carrier wasn’t blind sided and he had full opportunity to brace for the impact.

As a fan this is exactly what you expect the players you support to do.... and yet according to ridiculous knee jerk NRL rules, a player instead of being praised for his efforts now risks missing the most important game of the season...

Not right is it? The NRL have a lot to answer for.... it’s a disgrace

Totally agree with you mate. Under the current rules, it was a penalty, should have been a sin bin (but not a penalty try) and should be reviewed by the match review committee and a charge applied for a "shoulder charge" which constitutes a one game suspension.

BUT, i think the rule is the problem. How that tackle has somehow found its way on the list of illegal plays just astounds me. If they want to rub small players out of the game than that rule is a good start. Trade Feki for a big unit like Corey Oats and Slater for a midget like Dufty and that tackle would be the only realistic option for Dufty to stop Oats in that position. I get the whole GI/Dean Young saga, but the NRL's knee jerk reaction in trying to wipe that shit out of the game just hasn't been thought through. I would have been happy with a rule where the shoulder charge was still allowed, but if a shoulder charge is made and there is contact made with the head, instant send off. A rule like this would have made Slaters tackle last a night legal and would have been deemed a great try saving tackle, but in the GI/Young instance, GI would have been sent from the field immediately.

The NRL's decision on this will be interesting. As the rule and punishment currently sits, Slater has to miss a week, but to miss a week for that tackle shows just how dumb that rule is.

TruSaint

Referee
Whilst a shoulder charge I consider the true nature of the tackle to be a bump over the sideline. Same but different.

Straight Shooter

OV, mate you have just called it a shoulder charge.. They have been rubbed out of the game.

As to whether they should have is for another debate.

If the NRL are serious, and put the game first, he cant play in the GF.

Any other player, without the stature of Slater, this would not even be a discussion.

I used to enjoy watching players take out wingers with great use of shoulders, but alas those days are gone, and as such, the NRL should charge him accordingly.

OV, mate you have just called it a shoulder charge.. They have been rubbed out of the game.

As to whether they should have is for another debate.

If the NRL are serious, and put the game first, he cant play in the GF.

Any other player, without the stature of Slater, this would not even be a discussion.

I used to enjoy watching players take out wingers with great use of shoulders, but alas those days are gone, and as such, the NRL should charge him accordingly.

I agree with you. Too late now but the NRL lacks sophistication. I think there's a massive difference between a 'classic' shoulder charge and a bump over the sideline - although they're both shoulder charges. No player should miss a grand final for that, no matter their stature.

Straight Shooter

TruSaint

Referee
If Slater misses a grand final for that the game has gone crazy.Just like the PC world we live in.
Hopefully common sense will prevail.

If there was a grey area in the rule regarding the shoulder charge, then I would agree with you.

By the rule as it stands, he shouldnt play. Players have missed games since the rule was introduced.

Billy is not above the laws that govern the game .. Yes, it would be sad to see a player miss a GF. Its not the first time.

FWIW, i think some freeze frame, sports scientist, legal mind will get him off.

The game is above any player. He could have tried to tackle the player with his arms, chose not do.

Belta

Juniors
If Slater misses a grand final for that the game has gone crazy.Just like the PC world we live in.
Hopefully common sense will prevail.
Talking about being banned, I believe the phrase ‘common sense’ should banned when making any reference to the NRL. It should be an automatic suspension for anyone using the two words in the same sentence. The Frizzel touching referee incident being is the case law we refer back if the suspension is challenged.

Theflamingo

Juniors
I just hope, if Slater gets suspended, we get to see another Melbourne solidarity walk (as if the evil powers that be had robbed them) with all the players and Bellamy with stern looks on their faces like we did when they got caught cheating the salary cap.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Slater has now been charged by the match review committee. He will now have to fight the charge. From times gone by, they very rarely beat the charge, but I think they will find a way to beat it this time.

FlameThrower

Bench
Slater has now been charged by the match review committee. He will now have to fight the charge. From times gone by, they very rarely beat the charge, but I think they will find a way to beat it this time.
Only Anasta on Fox thought he should be charged - Walters, Maninga could not bring themselves to admit it was a blatant shoulder charge and possibly penalty try.
Idiot Gus Gould stated it was ‘safest option’ for both players? Considering sharks player left field injured and did not return can’t believe he said that!!