What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

Should St George Illawarra end their joint venture?

• Total voters

SaintPauli

Juniors
Dont be so sure, as I said St George Leagues Club is worth more closed and sold than open.

A big regional broadcaster with strong connections to the Illawarra spends shareholder money to buy part of a sporting club. You don't think WIN have a bigger picture plan than just owning half of a dysfunctional JV?

The Steelers club is now not part of the equation re funding.

I guess its frustrating at the moment as the club is not communicating with the fans. No positive talk coming through.
Only negative on field performances.

SaintPauli

Juniors
My condolences. Do you want a tissue?

Plenty of folk have lost the team they support over the years..

Be glad you can still cheer yours on in first grade (for now..)

History is great, but history moves on..

I find it interesting that when they talk of the great 11 in a row streak, they say “never before, never again”..

I wonder how many folk actually pay attention to the last two words..
Stating the facts of many St George dragons supporters. It's obvious your weren't one.

SaintPauli

Juniors
If we move on with Illawarra it is like a one legged man trying to push a paraplegic up a hill in a non motorised wheel chair.
They don’t bring anything to the table and in fact like a cuckoo have dropped their Illawarra eggs in the JV nest.
Just call it St George and give them the Illawarra geographical area and be done with it.
If the St George name on its own can’t attract the right people to run and sponsor the joint then let it die and give the carcass to the hyena’s to pick over.
Far more chance of something that knows what greatness is of regaining it rather than something that failed dismally for its entire existence now professing it has their wherewithal to create something it has no knowledge of.
I don’t exonerate St George officials for their stupidity but the standalone name has much more appeal IMO to any decent suitors or soonsors.
Agree be done with the illawarra. Its too long a name. St George is better for market and product.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Stating the facts of many St George dragons supporters. It's obvious your weren't one.
No, clearly I was a Steeler..

But you don’t hear most of the legacy steel crew carrying on the same way as the legacy saints crew..

Most realise that the JV is the way forward.. He’ll, the JV has now been around for longer than the Steelers were..

Kids in Wollongong under 20 have never known anything but the JV..

So for fans of their own club to tell them they should go away because they don’t belong here is just a bit wrong IMHO..

So of course I’ll happily present the alternate view..

SaintPauli

Juniors

But you don’t hear most of the legacy steel crew carrying on the same way as the legacy saints crew..

Most realise that the JV is the way forward.. He’ll, the JV has now been around for longer than the Steelers were..

So for fans of their own club to tell them they should go away because they don’t belong here is just a bit wrong IMHO..

LOL chalk and cheese when it comes to legacies.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
LOL chalk and cheese when it comes to legacies.
FMD.. It’s like talking to a kid..

Legacy in this instance refers to the fans who previously belonged to the different clubs, who have them passed through to be fans of the JV..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

He’ll do what now?

Don’t forget, the masses want to know. Don’t keep them waiting.

Carlton

Juniors
If I was running Saints, I wouldn't even consider selling the Leagues club. I would be looking to purchase as much land around the leagues club, with a view of knocking down the old one and building a new bigger and better leagues club. I would have been purchasing land from as early as possible too. I would even be looking at building other assets, such as a motel, aquatic centre, water slide park, indoor amusement park, restaurants, night clubs, indoor sporting facilities for sports such as indoor cricket, indoor soccer, indoor netball, volley ball, basketball, dodge ball, tennis.

Sounds great but where do they get the money to do all this. Reality is the Leagues club is struggling to be anymore than mediocre and the land is jewel in the crown.

The connected issue is that I believe the NRL would like us to move our base 100% to the Illawarra. The Leagues club at Kogarah becomes more and more irrelevant.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
He’ll do what now?

Don’t forget, the masses want to know. Don’t keep them waiting.
Cursed auto correct..

It always changes my references to the demonic underworld..

Only last week I tried to sell my soul, but the message got sent to Santa instead..

denis preston

First Grade
If I was running Saints, I wouldn't even consider selling the Leagues club. I would be looking to purchase as much land around the leagues club, with a view of knocking down the old one and building a new bigger and better leagues club. I would have been purchasing land from as early as possible too. I would even be looking at building other assets, such as a motel, aquatic centre, water slide park, indoor amusement park, restaurants, night clubs, indoor sporting facilities for sports such as indoor cricket, indoor soccer, indoor netball, volley ball, basketball, dodge ball, tennis.

With respect Frank this is really fanciful stuff and is 30 years too late. Sure something has to be done to spice up the place but it is making money and the Board is happy to keep it that way without making many changes.
This is the same board who run our club so do you see the parallels ?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Frank’s St George:

A shambles on field, but f**k me have you tried the waterslide??

j0nesy

Bench

Well said and good on you.

I was a St George supporter who grew up in Wollongong. My Dad and Grandad grew up in Hurstville and always supported the Saints, so I followed them.

My younger brother chose the Steelers path, as teenagers it was a lot easier for us to get to WIN than it was to Kogarah. So The Steelers became my 2nd team.

Neither St George nor the Steelers as standalone entities won a premiership in my lifetime. However the JV has managed to win one. The Saints, as a standalone entity, had not been a super club since the 1960’s. So I don’t understand this holier than thou attitude that some ex-St George fans espouse.

Here’s some additional alternative views:
* Kogarah oval is a dilapidated ground and terrible to watch footy from. All games should be played out of WIN stadium as it can seat more people, has better facilities and more cover.
* WIN corporation has its roots in Wollongong as do a vast number of the JV sponsors. Financial support is provided from both regions of the JV. However, the name and strip are famous and must remain. The more sponsors the better.
* Most junior players come from the Illawarra / south coast as do most of the younger supporters. The Kogarah region does not contribute enough, nor do the St George juniors.
* The CEO of the JV is and always has been a St George old boy. The success of the club is primarily CEO’s responsibility. We need a CEO that does not have have an affiliation with either rugby league faction and is more business focus and less football focussed.
* St George leagues reduced its funding to the JV some years back. St George leagues club gets far too much of a say in the running of the club for the little it contributes. St George leagues club and WIN corporation funding should increase each year relative to the cost of running a rugby league club and inflation in order to maintain their shares. If St George leagues club cannot keep up with its financial obligations to the JV then it’s shares should be sold off and offered to Red V members in the first instance and private owners in the 2nd instance. A 50/50 members owned / privately owned club is much better operating model in my opinion.

Last edited:

RED73V

Juniors
I have always been a fan of the merger you know because of the colours & juniors but now I’m pissed off that all the old boys from the Illawarra are running the show. It”s bullshit the ST GEORGE DRAGONS HAVE THE PREMIERSHIPS not Illawarra . It’s about time they are reminded of that. We have had Mcfu##nukle & Farrar & most of their incompetent board !!! Piss off the lot of you d**kheads

j0nesy

Bench
I have always been a fan of the merger you know because of the colours & juniors but now I’m pissed off that all the old boys from the Illawarra are running the show. It”s bullshit the ST GEORGE DRAGONS HAVE THE PREMIERSHIPS not Illawarra . It’s about time they are reminded of that. We have had Mcfu##nukle & Farrar & most of their incompetent board !!! Piss off the lot of you d**kheads
Yet the CEO’s have both been St George old boys.

rednwhites

Juniors
cpt10209704-jpg.jpg

Even McCrone's moved on to better things.

Latest posts