What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Dolphins debut be delayed to 2024?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they had fans would've survived
Troll done good.

Did you mean "If they had, fans would've survived".

if they had what? What fans died? Oh my god this demands a 4 corners investigation. I didn't realise the SL war had killed fans as well as clubs!

Last edited:
If they had fans would've survived
Half of the Sydney teams had next to f**k all fans by the end of 1997.

I think they should go ok, and by ok I mean not be wooden spooners for their first three years. Id expect them to be around 10th with that pack, higher if they can land Munster and Walsh. They will be rebuilding pretty much from day one anyway given the age of most of the pack they have signed so by year 4 they will have replaced half the squad. I still thin with an extra year to sign two lots of players off contract plus some concessions for signing outside the NRL then we could have seen a better outcome. How many people are going to trek from the north to Suncorp to see a team getting beaten most weeks? If they only draw 10-15k in their couple of years and bounce along at the bottom it'll be seen as a bit of a disaster and could set expansion back even further.
Anyone on here from Brisbane feeling much hype or seeing much promotion of Dolphins and memberships etc in the city area? How's the Brisbane media covering them?
I haven't bought a paper in years and don't watch FTA, but I haven't seen too many people wearing their gear around Logan.

Wb1234

Referee
They won’t finish last

it’s bennett

meh took that dud origin side to victory against the blues

if they delay their entry they will be in breach of their tv contract too

Wb1234

Referee
GWS Giants came dead last in their first 2 seasons, won 3 games all up in their first 2 seasons.... got better eventually and made a grand final, but still very modest support in Sydney, truck loads of money wasted on them.... Are we now saying they are the model on how the Dolphins should be set up?
Are you really comparing gws to the dolphins lmao

Wb1234

Referee
I think there is too much focus on their roster . Didn't the Titans have a bunch of marquee players when they started? - Prince, Campbell, Bailey, Rogers? didn't help them much in the long run. There is a lot of different variables and things that contribute to a successful club than just what the roster looks like.
Lmao it’s not like the collapse of their centre of excellence which sent them broke has anything to do with it

or the afl trying to promote the suns against them … and failing

yakstorm

First Grade
Jump over to the media section, all the details are laid out in there. Nrl announced a deal of “just over” $2billion for 5 years
$130mill nine
$32.8mill skynz
$240mill fox
Thanks for sharing and I can see how those numbers align to proposed revenue expected in 2023 (as outlined here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/02/28/2021-financial-results/)

Those numbers aren't being paid yet... the 2021 Annual Report says total licensing revenue was only 405,161,000 which includes TV, Merchandise & Sponsorship (Opps & Events was 158,978,000, whilst other revenues was 10,941,000 bringing total revenue to 575,080,000).

There is no way TV revenue for 2021 (which will be the same for 2022) was over 99% of total licensing revenue.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks for sharing and I can see how those numbers align to proposed revenue expected in 2023 (as outlined here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/02/28/2021-financial-results/)

Those numbers aren't being paid yet... the 2021 Annual Report says total licensing revenue was only 405,161,000 which includes TV, Merchandise & Sponsorship (Opps & Events was 158,978,000, whilst other revenues was 10,941,000 bringing total revenue to 575,080,000).

There is no way TV revenue for 2021 (which will be the same for 2022) was over 99% of total licensing revenue.
2021 was still reduced covid amounts based on the 2017 deal of $370mill a year inc contra. So nearer $345mill minus contra, which is around $325mill cash . The $405mill Licensing revenue line also includes betting revenue.

They won’t finish last

it’s bennett

meh took that dud origin side to victory against the blues

if they delay their entry they will be in breach of their tv contract too
Maybe The Dolphins can take The Broncos' licence so Easts can take The Dolphins' licence?

Brisbane Firehawks and Moreton Bay Dolphins will do nicely. Especially if it gives I Bleed Maroon the shits and sends him in a rage on DonkeysHQ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe The Dolphins can take The Broncos' licence so Easts can take The Dolphins' licence?

Brisbane Firehawks and Moreton Bay Dolphins will do nicely. Especially if it gives I Bleed Maroon the shits and sends him in a rage on DonkeysHQ.
We‘re more likely to get an nrl club in Singapore than the biggest rugby league club in the world losing their license lol.

Half of the Sydney teams had next to f**k all fans by the end of 1997.

I haven't bought a paper in years and don't watch FTA, but I haven't seen too many people wearing their gear around Logan
Id be surprised if they are pushing much into Logan

There are billboards on the Bruce Highway promoting the Dolphins and theres a tonne of merch getting around on this side of town (North Brisbane)

There has been promotions for them at Warriors home games held at Dolphin oval too

Perth Red

Post Whore

There are billboards on the Bruce Highway promoting the Dolphins and theres a tonne of merch getting around on this side of town (North Brisbane)

There has been promotions for them at Warriors home games held at Dolphin oval too
Good to hear. I guess they cant release memberships till they know venues and they cant announce that till the draw for 23 is done?

Myth, Australian tv is not paying anymore for 17 teams in 2023 than it paid for 16 teams in 2018. The $100mill from fox was smoke and mirrors to help Vlandys get it over the line. If it was true the tv deal would have been $423mill a year but it isn’t, it’s $403mill.
image7009191x.jpg

mongoose

Coach
Are you really comparing gws to the dolphins lmao
uhh no.... a bunch of people like Phil Gould are saying the Dolphins should be given similar dispensation and leg ups as what GWS got. I'm saying but GWS were terrible in their first few seasons and their support is woeful.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Like Raiders, Knights, Panthers, Sharks, Broncos, Storm, Titans, Warriors lol. Every clubs history starts somewhere. If Sl hadnt happened Reds would now be 28 years old. Would they still be a 'plastic' club? Maybe they should have promoted North Beach or South Perth instead in 1995 lol.
Super league did happen, they're not 28 years old and they aren't a plastic club, they're non existant. Last i looked the entity trying to enter the league are the Perth Pirates.

mongoose

Coach
I think they should go ok, and by ok I mean not be wooden spooners for their first three years. Id expect them to be around 10th with that pack, higher if they can land Munster and Walsh. They will be rebuilding pretty much from day one anyway given the age of most of the pack they have signed so by year 4 they will have replaced half the squad. I still thin with an extra year to sign two lots of players off contract plus some concessions for signing outside the NRL then we could have seen a better outcome. How many people are going to trek from the north to Suncorp to see a team getting beaten most weeks? If they only draw 10-15k in their couple of years and bounce along at the bottom it'll be seen as a bit of a disaster and could set expansion back even further.
Anyone on here from Brisbane feeling much hype or seeing much promotion of Dolphins and memberships etc in the city area? How's the Brisbane media covering them?
there is about the amount of hype as you would expect. The nightly News have regular updates on them.
Brisbane and south east qld is a massive and diverse place now, there is a lot going on, it's not what it was in the 80s or even 90s. The whole city isn't gripped by Rugby League - not saying it isn't popular.

The Rosco

Bench
This position will face strong opposition from Tigers fans who I'm led to believe are preparing a very strong movement to have the The Dolphins admitted as of Monday
All our clubs go through shit periods . . . . . but ANYTHING to avoid us winning the wooden spoon.
Fkk me, how embarrassing would that be ?

Wb1234

Referee

I didn’t realise it was a donkeys supporter who started the thread

the idea of sharing brisbane with another team really upsets them

lucky they added the dolphins and not easts who would’ve been strong
uhh no.... a bunch of people like Phil Gould are saying the Dolphins should be given similar dispensation and leg ups as what GWS got. I'm saying but GWS were terrible in their first few seasons and their support is woeful.
Sydney isn’t an afl heartland
Gws don’t have 100 million in assets
Gws aren’t an established team with history

I know Redcliffe were the strongest bid, but the way they and the ARLC have gone about expansion means Brisbane will need a third team if we want saturated coverage across metropolitan Brisbane.

My concern with the ARLC and Redcliffe focusing on their traditional catchment in Moreton Bay is it will limit attendances at Lang Park, as they're 40km away from Milton and most of their potential fans aren't going to travel that distance twelve times a year. For this reason I would have liased with the Queensland Government to build a proper 25k to 30k stadium in Moreton Bay to accommodate Redcliffe before admitting them into the competition. Until then I would have added the Brisbane Firehawks so we can have two teams from Brisbane playing 24 games a year out of Lang Park. It would draw better attendances and create a genuine north / west vs south / east rivalry.

I also think NZ 2 and Perth should be admitted before Brisbane 3.